Back again!!

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Hi all

Don't spose any of you remember me, it's been awhile now, MIL sadley passed away 3yrs ago, and some of you may remember we are going through Aunties hell with her now, thankfully she is far happier than MIL was and is coping well in her nursing home, which is brilliant. Our problem is what is considered part of the care package? stupid question but we are receiving bills for Chiropodist (OK accepted that one its necessary and needed) BUT at 95 does she have to have her hair shampood and set every single week? I have spoken to the nursing home and explained our money is not bottomless and the extras are causing quite a strain on us, as we are having to help with her fees being self funded and requested that perhaps it could be left awhile inbetween or even hair washed during her bath period, previously when she was at home I used to wash hair for her and would be happy to do so if they would let me, but all our comments pass by without consideration, and the next bill arrives! Am I being nit picking and mean? and have others come up against this problem? I hate to rock the boat and complain harder, but money is tight for all of us just now.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I would write a letter to them saying that you are happy for her to have her hair cut and set every 6 weeks and washed and set if there is special event - birthday, Christmas etc. but that you do not authorise weekly hairdressing and will not pay for these.

If you want you can tell the home that you will make all hair appointments and that you will not be paying for any unauthorised ones. Put it in writing to the manager, copy to their accounts department and one the hairdressers.

We have to pay for the chiropodist too.

Dikimiki

Jun 26, 2012
Wales
The extras

One problem is that the extras bring in revenue and it is easy for the CH to argue that they are necessary. You might have to rock the boat, as you say, in order to get some sense into the people concerned. Of course the lady at 95 does not need her hair done every week, but it could be argued that it is part of her routine and consequently necessary.
I am certain we all feel for you and the financial strain it is putting on you. You have our prayers and our sympathy.

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks

Hi again
Thanks for the comments, have written twice about not having hair done so frequently just totally ignored, rocking the boat is hard, they are so very good at the nursing home, and Auntie is so very special to us, BUT money is running out fast and we can't afford much more help than we are doing now. They truly seem to think she has stacks of money behind her uhhh Noooo!!! and I guess their answer is it is easier for them, even tho it is done internally, Chiropodist truly don't mind feel thats necessary, but Auntie only had hair done in a blue moon when she had her facilities, so would hate spending this amount. Can't even afford hairdressers myself! but hey ho guess we will just have to keep paying. I have already asked if any help can be available to her but of course that was ignored too, and when I rang about CC to the authority they just practically said 'don't be daft' Oh well hope everyone else is having a good week, guess by our last experiences with MIL we really do have it a lot easier than many of you. x

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I think you are making a sensible decision in not agreeing to have so many hairdresser sessions if it is financially impracticable and also not what your auntie would have previously done.

Can I suggest you return the next bill (or if a multi item bill - deduct the amount for the hairdresser and pay it with the hairdresser item highlighted and marked unauthorised) - attach a copy of your latest letter saying that you are not prepared to cover that expenditure and then to all this clip a memo saying - "Unauthorised expenditure for hairdresser not paid as per attached letter advising this would be the case". Do make a copy for yourself and check its all dated.

I am sure once they have had to foot the bill themselves then this will stop. Once the dust has settled then no doubt you can try saying you would like to shampoo and set aunties hair when you visit on x day and would be grateful for their co-operation to enable you to do so.

Good luck!

Celia

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks Celia
Good ideas....not meaning to be mean, but times are hard! Will give your ideas a whirl, see what happens x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa