A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Gosh if I were Dhiren and my mouth was sore - I would bite down on the toothbrush and not let anybody wriggle it around. In fact, it is very good of him not to bite down on any person who comes near his mouth.

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Oh its so sweet, Dhiren is still thinking of you! finding you a nice new young man! I'd forgotten what an absolute comfort TP is I have been away for so long, but its good to see you Grannie G and others are still around and helping others and each other. Talking of computers! and sorry for going off on tangent does anyone know how I can change my user name? would hate others to know its me gassing on if I am talking about NH etc x

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Oh, how awful that you have to face the ordeal of more dental treatment for Dhiren, Sylvia. I know how upsetting it can be. They tried to do laser treatment on Mum's eyes and she was so very distressed it had to be abandoned. I was literally sweating while she was in the room. My daughter stayed with her and she was upset as well. A later examination by the consultant proved that the surgery wasn't absolutely necessary. The consultant had a Mum with dementia and was really understanding and took Mum off the list. But if Dhiren is in pain that can't be ignored. :(

Maybe the antibiotics will sort the problem out and he won't need another extraction. I do hope so.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No antibiotics. :mad:

I had to go out this morning. When I arrived home I had a message from the manager.

`The dentist examined Dhiren`s mouth and it is healing nicely.`

I am not happy about this. I will see the manager tomorrow , not that she will be able to do anything more.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I was told the other day that there has been work done of the effects of using more pain relief in CHs as an alternative to anti-psychotics. Apparently there are figures suggesting that pain relief can be generally more beneficial.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren doesn`t need antipsychotics any more as his behaviour is fine. But I do wish he could have a course of antibiotics, just to clear any infection.
I hate it when he winces when he eats. Food is the only pleasure left to him and i don`t want him frightened to eat.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Oh its so sweet, Dhiren is still thinking of you! finding you a nice new young man! I'd forgotten what an absolute comfort TP is I have been away for so long, but its good to see you Grannie G and others are still around and helping others and each other. Talking of computers! and sorry for going off on tangent does anyone know how I can change my user name? would hate others to know its me gassing on if I am talking about NH etc x

Sorry it says in the rules you cannot change your user name,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Choosing a username
If you register on the Talking Point forum, you will need to select a name to use that has not been registered already, as the forum will not permit multiple users with the same name, for obvious reasons.

What not to use

Because Talking Point is a fully public web forum, a username should never be selected that can identify the person using it. The username shouldn't be a variation of your real first and family name, for example. Neither should the name give any indication of the e-mail address of the person, or the telephone number, or the postal address.

The promotion of commercial organisations, products or services via a member username or profile listing is prohibited, and may be subject to editing or deletion.

What to use

The main thing about deciding on a username is that you have to be able to remember it yourself! Apart from that, anything that has not been used before and that is acceptable under the Talking Point rules [that is, should not be offensive, for example] should be ok.

Please make sure that you are happy with the name you have chosen before you actually register it, as it cannot be changed afterwards.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
well you stick to your guns if he is in pain - you will know more than anyone. I suppose a newly-recovered abscess could be tender rather than infected? Mouths are so sensitive, after all.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My mistake about the teeth. :eek:

The pain Dhiren experienced was because that tooth had also been extracted and it was still healing. :eek:

The dentist convinced the new manager of the importance of dental hygiene and it has been taken on board.
Dhiren`s teeth were cleaned by one of the carers without him biting on the toothbrush.

New manager was quite critical his teeth hadn`t been looked after previously so perhaps it is one way she can make changes for the good.

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Sorry it says in the rules you cannot change your user name

I guess if it says that in the rules then there is no choice to change your user name.

But, to be honest, it is possible and very easy to change a users name if a person is unhappy with it.. I've done it a few times for people, it takes less than 30 seconds. Sometimes a user would put a note of the change in their sig until everyone is used to the new one ;)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I guess if it says that in the rules then there is no choice to change your user name.

But, to be honest, it is possible and very easy to change a users name if a person is unhappy with it.. I've done it a few times for people, it takes less than 30 seconds.

Perhaps so Kath, but it does nothing to help develop the continuity of on line support if previous posts become redundant.

Sometimes a user would put a note of the change in their sig until everyone is used to the new one ;)

So what is the point of changing it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I can actually see the point of wanting to change a user name.
Someone I know is posssibly going to join TP, and if not, I'm sure will look at the main forum. I would probably be recognisable to him because of my user name. I'm not wanting to change it now but am watching the situation.

I would just like to add that I would not be concerned about this person reading my posts, in the main, but it would probably inhibit me a little when I was maybe upset about something. It's my own fault for praising TP so much!

Last edited:

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Perhaps so Kath, but it does nothing to help develop the continuity of on line support if previous posts become redundant.

All posts made by that user are changed to the new name, that includes the ones made prior to the change.

Sometimes a user would put a note of the change in their sig until everyone is used to the new one

I'll give 2 examples of why a change would work and has worked for other communities that I've been involved in over the years.

1) Two small boards have merged, some users were members of both, but used different user names on each board, they chose to select the one they preferred and so it was done, with a clarification noted in their sig for a few weeks.

2) On another board, one long serving member used a name which suggested that he was a schoolboy, using 'boy' as part of his name.. He outgrew that name a few years later and I was able to change it for him by just removing the 'boy' reference.

In each case everyone was happy and the communities are still going strong, although I don't have any permissions now on those boards because I retired, it's lovely to be 'just' a member. Being a Moderator or Admin is greatly overrated ;)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
When I first joined TP I was extremely stressed. I was also very innocent about the Internet. When I realised what a huge audience Talking Point reached, I requested and was granted a name change. At the time I was a member of a "professional" website and if you googled my name, my membership of the professional site and TP came up.

Oh poor Dhiren with his teeth. Hopefully now things will settle down if he is now getting proper teeth cleaning. Too early to say I expect, but hopefully this new manager is a new broom sweeping away the neglected areas. Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.