Good morning, I'm new here, just need to chat and learn

Shrek

Jul 15, 2012
Hi, woke up this morning and realised I need to chat to people who understand. I look after my 98 year old grandmother along with my 18yo daughter. My grandmother lives independently in a sheltered flat with carers 4 times a day. My daughter is her carer during the week whilst I sort out her financial affairs. I lost my father (her son) last August and we have taken on the role of her care. My grandmother has had Alzeimers for around 30 years and has a short term memory of minutes. Lots to chat about and advice needed but will just say Hi for now :)

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Welcome to TP Shrek - I have found it such a helpful place. So much wisdom and experience. It is good that your grandmother still lives independently - it sounds as if you are managing really well. But I am sorry to hear of the loss of your father.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Shrek and welcome. I'm glad you've found TP. When you are ready to post you will find lots of encouragement, help and support on here. Take care. x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Shrek,
I am glad you found us and I am sure by reading all the Threads and Posts you will learn alot and hopefully you will ask about any particular problems you have. There is a wealth of experience here and I am sure you will find it supportive.
Best wishes

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Shrek!

Welcome to TP to you and your daughter and grandmother. :)

What a fantastic achievement for your gran to still be living independently at 98. That's a terrific achievement.

I look forward to seeing you around.

Take care xx

Shrek

Jul 15, 2012
Thank you all for a warm welcome. My grandmother is an amazing lady for managing to live in her own home to the age of 98 with this condition (amazing for anyone!). She is confident to say she if possible she wants to live there to the end. I will say tho that it has increasingly put massive strains on the family at times but she is still very much a family member and shares good times (usually) with the family including my 6 year old son. She can remember her early years vividly and loves to share family stories.
In many ways my biggest questions are around how do we strike a balance between support and the rest of our lives (something my late father found difficult). Me and my daughter visit her twice daily to make meals and sort bills, do her shopping, washing and cleaning and have endless phone calls. We keep a detailed journal for her which works well until maybe a morning carer forgets to write that shes been given her medication then we have endless panic phone calls until we get there.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello from me too Shrek, am so glad you have found talking point, so much experience and knowledge from all on this site, also when needed a cyber hug and at times a sense of humour:) it is great to know you are not alone and can post/read at anytime day or night

Best wishes to all your family and welcome!

Chris x

tilshead

Jul 15, 2012
Swindon
tilshead

Hi Shrek, it's my first day on this site too. Already it feels wonderful to know we are not having to face this on our own. Just being able to chat like this has lifted my spirits already and I'm sure it will you too. You sound like you are coping well and doing a grand job Well done you:)