*Warning!* Explicit and Gross - I just need to rant (again)

Wildlife

Jun 19, 2012
Sheffield
Oh dear - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry reading this thread. :) My Mum is prone to toilet accidents, but fortunately for me, nothing as bad as you are faced with. Following trails of trodden-in pooh on the floor & fingerprints on doors & walls happens here, but less so since I insisted she wears pull-ups all the time & constantly remind her to change them.
What amazes me is that she still has a good sense of smell and enjoys smelling roses etc, will remark on how smelly the animals at the local park farm are - but can't recognise that she smells!
I hope the funny side is starting to emerge, Ellie.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh dear! You have my sympathy! MIL has a colostomy bag, and despite us thinking how much easier it would be for us to cope with, how wrong we're we! We lost count of how many pairs of socks and knickers had to be thrown away when when she wrapped her used bags in them, that coupled with the leakages (and on occasions bag explosions !!!!!) the mess on the bed sheets, nighties and any other item of clothing you could think of.

On a lighter note, my daughter who works nights at the local A &E, told us that last weekend an elderly gentleman (not an AZ sufferer) needed the loo. he was duly ushered in and handed the alarm pull and told to use it when he had finished. The alarm pull ended up where the sun don't shine, and they had another case to sort out!!!

Sorry if that offended anyone, just trying to lighten our Saturday,

Oh dear!!!!!!!!1:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
I bet if you turned the radio on it would have something like Slip Sliding Away or maybe the Water Music.

Any other suggestions as to a theme tune?

mby

Jun 21, 2012
Merton
Oh my goodness - lost pads are the worst! I swear sometimes I think I will be reincarnated as a sniffer dog. I would reccommend to check behind All the radiators - I know from experience that when the heating comes on you wish you'd found it sooner!!

Just about to go and check them all:D thanks

Would also like to say I never imagined my Saturday evenings would be spent reading about other peoples bowels:D but so nice to know I'm not alone, most of my friends go rather green when they ask how my day was so I now just stick with fine:eek: But it really helps to have a bit of a giggle about what is going on and also get some helpful advice .

Ellie315

Jun 29, 2011
Would also like to say I never imagined my Saturday evenings would be spent reading about other peoples bowels:D but so nice to know I'm not alone, most of my friends go rather green when they ask how my day was so I now just stick with fine:eek: But it really helps to have a bit of a giggle about what is going on and also get some helpful advice .

Oh my, I know exactly what you mean! My friend's dad had a new puppy and he was picking up its poo, and for some reason I thought it was OK to start talking to him about poo... and it wasn't until he actually talked over me about something else that I realised what I was doing! :eek: And, I wasn't sure about posting this, but I'm so glad I did because all the replies have really helped me to see the funnier side, and not feel so bad about it :)

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I fear all this talk must have penetrated my husband#s mind as I have just spent some time cleaning him up ready to go to bed. as fast as I am wiping him it is coming.

Anyway he is all padded up now and asleep. here's to a quiet night, but who knows what awaits me in the morning????

Jeannette

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I find all your experiences absolutely horrifying :eek: I'm glad you can see the funny side as I know this is how you are coping with it, but my god it's awful. My mam has had a few toilet accidents and has recently lost the ability to go to the loo herself, so the prospect of what might be to come is too awful to think about. :(

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
It makes me happy knowing that im not the only one sitting in on a Saturday night talking S....e! Living life in the fast lane, who's for cocoa?

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Collegegirl.. I am so, so sorry if it's a shock to you. I was worried that it might really frighten people who are new to caring for their loved ones who are not at this stage yet. But somehow, if they are prepared for what might happen, then it can't be all bad.. and after all, they might not experience it.. I certainly hope not.

Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade and just tell it like it is... and this stage passes, so don't worry.. just buy surgical gloves and be ready if it does happen, forewarned is forearmed ;)

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
hi all,

just read your thread and my heart goes out to you all. not had this experience with MIL but with working in EMI i can understand what you are saying. had many similar problems with clients within the care home and some i would not care to repeat. i am please that you can have a good giggle about it as i think that a little laughter can lighten the load.

like some have said i did not think for one moment that i would be sitting reading threads about poo, what has the world come to???

i would like to say thank you for allowing others into your toilet problems must be a load off your minds!!!!!lol.

jan1962::D:)

Dikimiki

Jun 26, 2012
Wales
Rants

I am filled with admiration for the people on TP and how they cope with the problems and heartaches of loved ones with VasD or Alz. Rant all you like if it helps, and the rest of us will also benefit by getting to know what is in store for us when our loved ones reach even worse stages of the dreaded diseases. GHUA

Ellie315

Jun 29, 2011
i would like to say thank you for allowing others into your toilet problems must be a load off your minds!!!!!lol.

jan1962::D:)

I remember the first time my best friend realised I had to toilet Grandma. I felt her physically recoil. I know its hard for some people. And yes, I apologise to anyone and everyone who has been shocked, disturbed or just grossed out by my thread.

To be serious again, to be honest, for me, the 'mess' itself is not that bad. I have a strong stomach and can deal with all bodily fluids (and excretions - *yuk word); I just sort of 'get on with it'. It is her resistance and her refusals that are the hardest thing for me. Like, I'm trying my best and she doesn't appreciate it or something. I know that's unfair, because she is ill and cannot help the way she reacts to things... but it is the thanklessness of it that really gets me. Even if outsiders tell me I'm doing a good job or whatever, when she's really aggressive and horrid I do find myself thinking "Why do I deal with all that stuff for someone who can't even be nice to me and grateful that I am trying to help the best I can"?

Thats why I had to share, that's why I have to laugh, and that's why I appreciate all the responses I have had here. Its so good to know I am not alone in dealing with this kind of thing; it makes it more bareable and more... normal. Its a fact of life: everybody does it!

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
On reflection, after it's happened and looking back, crying is not an option, only laughter can make it bearable.

I laugh about Dad and me rolling about on the bathroom floor covered in urine and unable to get up because it was too wet and slippy, I had to crawl to the carpet on the landing in my nighty to be able to get to my feet, that was in the early hours of the morning.. So cleaning up, showering and clean clothes for both of us so we could go back to bed

It's all an hilarious memory now, but just glad that neither of us was injured in our dive onto the tiles ;)

Oh, just a tip, don't go into the bathroom in your bare feet, that's why we both slipped and fell into it all.. lol

Last edited:

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Hi

Know exactly where you are coming from. Occasionally my mother will have an accident (not urine) in her disposables then try to wash them!!!!! :eek: She then drapes the offending article over the bath rack to dry :eek::eek:

The manager of her carers tells me they sometimes just have to follow their noses with other clients into the wardrobe or drawers to find where things are hidden!

I am grateful small mercies but it is horrible!!

wetnosewheatie

Jun 5, 2012
Merseyside
Thanks for sharing....

No seriously ..it helps to rant and brings out the wonderful black humour that see's us through. Fortunately not experienced this yet but no doubt got it to look forward to. Keep smiling all...

mby

Jun 21, 2012
Merton
It is her resistance and her refusals that are the hardest thing for me. Like, I'm trying my best and she doesn't appreciate it or something. I know that's unfair, because she is ill and cannot help the way she reacts to things... but it is the thanklessness of it that really gets me. QUOTE]

Know this feeling, took Nan to bathroom just before bed, kneeling on her bathroom floor (no matter how much I bleach in there still never feels clean!) to sort her underwear out, She says they are my knickers I agree with her then I get a smack on the top of the head and told not to be mean and nasty :confused: Follows that up with a rant on how I forced her to go to the toilet when she came and asked me to take her:mad:
Know she is not doing it on purpose but it is hard to remember that when she has been difficult all day.....

Just I was writing that she comes down to find me having taken her pad off, put a new one on and she says Thank you :rolleyes: Did she know I was moaning about her??

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm sorry ... I wasn't shocked in that way, I mean, shocked that this sort of thing happens ... Not explaining myself very well ... And certainly not shocked by the graphic descriptions! I'm just incredibly sad at the things that you are having to do for your loved ones, and wondering how my poor dad will cope if this becomes a regular thing for him, too. I know that he's already had to rescue mam from a mess once or twice but I find it so hard to accept that this might become a regular occurrence, plus I just don't know how I would cope if it happened while I was looking after her. What if I vomited? How could I help my mam if I was throwing up? Or am I just a wuss?

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
Sending lots of hugs & tons of sympathy

That sounds so awful, I could barely read what you wrote, it must have been so terrible to deal with xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124