GPS Tracking Devices

Dimples.cutie

Jul 14, 2011
Essex, England
Hi

I don't know if anyone can help but I recently had to go to the police when my mum went missing whilst staying with me. They told me that a family in a nearby town had bought a GPS device that their father would wear, which enabled the police to find him much quicker when he wandered away from home.

I just wondered if anyone out there knows of anywhere that sells gps jewellery, as it would be easier to get my mum to wear a necklace everyday than to carry a device around? She can't use a mobile phone and could possibly lose any other kind of device.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome.

I don't think there are any GPS devices designed to worn as jewelry. You might be able to perhaps find a watch, although even that may not be commercially available as yet at least not in the UK. Are you in the UK?

Bobby Dice

Aug 18, 2011
GPS Tracker

I found a really interesting and practical one called Keruve. It´s a wristwatch and portable receiver. Looks like it´s really practical and secure for tracking people.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
GPS Tracker

Mini GPS with Keychain also on amazon - much cheaper than watch but now reading not sure if for tracking someone more for tracking where you are - sorry this one looks better Mini Global GPS Tracker with GPRS connection

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The Keruve thing looks good but as far as I can see it's extremely expensive: something like £1000. :eek: I say something like: I have an aversion to companies who won't tell me a price up front, so this is from trawling the internet.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hello, just passing through and saw this thread.

Have you looked here?: http://www.buddi.co.uk/

My mum was always going off on her own, returning very late at night. Unable to remember where she'd been ... It was most distressing because I lived almost 200 miles away. Eventually, Mum's SW suggested we try this. The local authority in Salford (Manchester) were doing a pilot scheme and mum got on it. It was very easy to operate, but it's not jewellery by any stretch of the imagination! My biggest problem at the time, was working out how I would 'plant' it on mum! She often wore different coats or used different handbags. It was too big for a keyring. Besides, mum would just recognise it as being 'alien' to her long-term memory of what her keyring looked like and take it off. There was also the issue of charging it up - we concluded her drop-in carers would do it... We never discovered whether it would work. Mum had a series of strokes and so we were overtaken by events.

On the face of it, I'd definitely give it a go. If your LA is involved with the company involved, it would be a cheaper option. (It didn't cost us anything).

I'm not a great fan of technology per se, because I think we are moving towards an Orwellian culture. However, I think this is an excellent idea for dementia sufferers and carers alike. Having someone go missing has to be one of the most stressful elements of this horrible illness.

ThePlayerKing

Sep 27, 2011
Birmingham
GPS tracking advice

Hi. My experience was originally ordering the Mindme device as my mom went missing and was out all night. I live directly opposite and thought she'd had "an early night" when popped over. Didn't check... couldn't find her, but she returned after 28 hours dehydrated but relatively ok. Got very little advice from anyone except the usual "personal privacy" and "human rights" spiel. Pointless and irrelevant. And technically wrong as it doesn't apply to those with diminished responsibility! Got psychiatrist's backing (she's known us for 3 years) and plumped for Mindme.

Then...whilst staying with my sister, she got up and walked out in the middle of the night. My sister thought she'd locked the front door, one of her kids unlocked it to get something from the car and forgot. Easy mistake to make and one they all feel guilty about.

This time, my sister was woken by the police at 6am asking if she knew my mother and that she'd had a fall and was in hospital. It looked worse than it was due to excessive bleeding {the aspirin/warfarin can do this). She's recovering well now, and it could have been worse. Luckily my sister lives in a small, "safe" country village rather than the big city!

So.....my advice. Plan for the worst case scenario. Mindme would not have helped as my sister only realised she had gone missing AFTER her accident and AFTER being found by the police. You absolutely need to get a device with BOUNDARY ALERTS and a reasonably LONG battery life {more than the 18 hours for Mindme}.

I have asked for advice and got none, so this advice is purely my own experience. I THINK I am getting a BUDDI. I spoke to them and the battery lasts for around 2 1/2 days, has boundary alerts you can set yourself so, for example, in my mom's case, my sister would have been sent an alert text when she reached the bottom of her (small) road, got up and brought her back in minutes.

The Keruve seems too expensive (around GBP1000) but I have to say LOOKS like a nice watch that can't be removed by the wearer; so as far as jewellery, could be the best bet.

Luckily, my mom ALWAYS carries the same bag with her! So leaving the device in a pocket will work (but I will probably attach a sticker telling her NOT to take it out of her bag!

The other option could be the Track-Pod 2, which is like the others, has boundary setting, but turns itself to sleep mode when not moving. Then turns on when movement is detected, thus prolonging the battery life! Which, again, is something you need to think about: when and who will charge it and place in the person's bag?

I'm still investigating, but that's what I've found so far. Hope it helps anyone reading this. I know I could have done with something like this a few weeks ago!

Things to consider, in summary:
  1. Battery Life and when/who charges it up ?
  2. Will the wearer/carrier try to remove it and NOT take it when they wander??
  3. Boundary areas that let you know when the person leaves a set area, particularly during the night! Essential!
  4. Easy access to tracking device: mobile or computer?

What is actually needed (and there is now the technology and design ability to make these...if anyone knows of something that does the following PLEASE let me know ASAP!!!):

A small, jewellery-like device that comes with a LONG (week+?) battery life; that goes into sleep mode when not moving but turns on when movement is detected; that sends alerts if "rapid fall" or "sudden shock" movement detected; that allows users to set small, localised boundaries that alerts if wearer leaves set areas; that is relatively cheap in both initial cost and monthly rental.

I feel like going into the Dragon's Den and asking for research money to get this done NOW, no profit to be made, just a nice gesture on behalf of the Dragons :D
Take care,

Colin

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Hi - just to let you know that I purchased a BUDDI earlier this year for my husband (who wanders) and it works really well. The only thing I will say - I have to charge the battery every night. I contacted Buddi about this and they say it is because we are in a "low mobile signal coverage" area and the Buddi is spending a lot of time searching for a signal and therefore using up the battery charge but you may find if you are in a "good signal area" you might be OK for 2-3 days. However for peace of mind it is well worth the investment. Good luck. Sox

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Hi

I don't know if anyone can help but I recently had to go to the police when my mum went missing whilst staying with me. They told me that a family in a nearby town had bought a GPS device that their father would wear, which enabled the police to find him much quicker when he wandered away from home.

I just wondered if anyone out there knows of anywhere that sells gps jewellery, as it would be easier to get my mum to wear a necklace everyday than to carry a device around? She can't use a mobile phone and could possibly lose any other kind of device.

Hi there. I gave the reply below to another user yesterday, bit of a twist on the same theme......if that makes sense.

Our family have discussed this very subject already and asked ourselves the question:

Do we want mum wandering at 2am in middle of January. Answer no.

How do we STOP her wandering ? Answer, fit devices inside the property that stop her wandering in the first place, or at least notify someone via an alarm system.

Sorry it doesn't answer your question directly, but just wanted to share our alternate option with you.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I understand why the idea of a tracking device sounds good but it makes me feel very anxious. The dementia sufferers when they get to the wandering stage are as far as I can work out are in a different reality. They are confused. They do not know what time of day it is. They cannot make the decision when they go through that front door and it is cold and raining that they should wear a coat. They may be searching for a place or person which only exists in their memory. They are very vulnerable. I think ( and this is only me) that when the reasoning power is gone to this degree a bit more support is needed than a tracking device. This will not stop you stepping in front of traffic or falling down and lying hurt somewhere when it is too dark to see. It seems to me that you are talking about a stage when someone despite being an adult actually has the reasoning power of a young child. I have often heard a child on their mobile , presumably to a parent, reassuring them they are at a friends house when in reality they are not. Ask yourself would you feel OK letting a six year old out in the dark at night with a tracking device? I guess this posting is going to make me very unpopular as I know the concerned relatives are only trying to help. I realise this is suggested with the best of intentions but feel you are deluding yourselves if you think it will keep your relative safe. It is the same as parents who think a mobile phone keeps their child safe. It did not protect Milly Dowler or Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. I do not think there are killers out there awaiting the elderly with Alzheimers but if their judgement is so impaired they are wandering a GPS does not seem enough protection. It might help locate them but it does not protect them from harm.
Sorry ,
Tre

ThePlayerKing

Sep 27, 2011
Birmingham
Please think before you post...

I think ( and this is only me) that when the reasoning power is gone to this degree a bit more support is needed than a tracking device.

I have to say I'm really offended by this post. This is specifically a forum discussing advice on tracking systems. I'm sorry, but you have no knowledge whatsoever of my situation and I resent you inferring that I am relying on this system as the sole way of looking after my mother.

She is fiercely independent and enjoyed "popping to the shops" now and then. Based on what had happened to her going missing, my solution was the tracking device. Which after nearly a year has changed our lives considerably. I no longer feel the CONSTANT stress and fear of wondering where she might be. Ironically, as the dementia has progressed she has had far less desire to "wander". But, just in case, we have a way of knowing where she might have wandered to.

I am trying to allow my mother as much "independence" as she feels she needs. Your quoting of potential traffic accidents is neither helpful, insightful nor useful. My mother could fall at home, she could "collapse" while sleeping, she could fall whilst holding my arm as we walk. I am aware of all of this. But no-one can prevent everything. What you CAN do is put a variety of things in place to prevent as much as possible. THIS FORUM IS SOLELY TO DISCUSS THE ADVANTAGES OR DISADVANTAGES OF TRACKING DEVICES.

FYI: I LIVE with my mother now and moved in as her dementia got worse.

Am I supposed to lock my mother in at night? Am I supposed to sit by her bedside all through the night to keep an eye on her? Do I use bed restraints? What on earth do you mean by "support"? Good for you for doing whatever you are doing, but please just refrain from criticizing people who are doing their best, have done some research and are doing better thanks. Genuinely, your post made me both angry and depressed. So thanks for that. Just what carers need. More uninformed, judgmental people sticking their oar in. An apology might be nice.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
This is specifically a forum discussing advice on tracking systems.

Yes it is, and Tre is as much entitled to express her views on the suitability of tracking devices as you are.

If you come on a forum, you will find opposing views and advice; you take it or leave it, but insulting other posters is not helpful.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I am sorry if I offended anyone. It is very likely that, like everything else with dementia, that something may work for someone and not someone else or may work at one stage but get to a point in the progression of the disease where it is no longer helpful.
Perhaps many other people will post that they have bought one of these for a sufferer and found it really useful. I can see it might have a place if you are living with the sufferer but if they are remote from you and living on their own have people found they remember to take it with them and also can cope with the batteries. If that is the case then I am very pleased for you
Tre

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi
After looking at different devices i opted for the Buddi......for information purposes its £35 per month or £42 per month if you want the boundary alert, it's a minimum 12 month contract with one months payment in advance.

I opted for this one because i have my Dad to charge it and put it in her bag (with a few gentle reminders of course :rolleyes:) and as already stated by someone in an earlier post, as my Mums Alzheimer's advances she might not need it so i can hand it back after 12 months.

I believe they are testing ankle bracelets at the moment so maybe thats something to watch out for in the near future ;)

Alex

Jackie123

Jun 10, 2012
MIL has telecare so they know when she goes out too early or late - and send warden round - but sometimes the "bird" has flown!

We need a device we can charge one a fortnight.

On Saturday we coordinating AWOL from top of Lakeland mountain (she turned up in A&E) and today the police got involved again.

Policeman has suggested a cheap mobile with a long battery life - left switched on - luckily she uses same handbag. We can put useful numbers on. If she looses it then not an issue.

If I understood correctly once police involved they can ask for the mobile to be tracked...

FiveWords

Jul 30, 2011
My dad was provided a GPS watch free by his occupational therapist. :)

He wore it once, accidentally pressed the (admittedly huge and easy to press accidentally) panic button in Morrisons, and suffered the indignity of having the lady from the call centre speak to him loudly in a patronizing tone through the loudspeaker facility while passing shoppers stared. :eek:

He never wore it again :rolleyes:

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
Another option

It is my husband that has AD in the early stages (diagnosed at the age of 62) and as he has always been a professional driver, he is still driving safely. But he forgets where he parked the car and recently we spent hours searching for it. He had left our dog in the car so it was so much more important to find it quickly. After a long search I have found not only a tracker for the car which will be charged by the engine, but a small personal one too. I also looked at the Keruve and dislike the price and the lack of price marked on the website, and I was trying to find one which doesn't require a monthly charge. The Buddi is also quite expensive and the MindMe requires a monthly payment. The one I have found is by Back2you from Filey in North Yorkshire. I hope they will go on to develop jewellery. This is about the size of a matchbox and could be hidden in a bag, clothes or on a keyring. It has ring fencing, notification in case someone falls, in fact everything - I haven't received it yet, but it looks great.
If someone goes missing you phone the unit and the unit will call you back with the location of the person.
I hope this helps. Fingers crossed.
PS I have also seen that in the US they have developed shoes with a tracker in the heel. Perhaps I could get the shoe repair man to fit a personal tracker into my husband's shoes!
My husband would not wear a watch and he can't manage a smartphone, I tried that, and he only wears his favourite shoes!
Chris