Advice

Martyn

Dec 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Hi Alfjess
I use this with those of my clients who are bed or chair bound and can only relate to sight and sound. I read somewhere that bubbles are theraputic so I bought a child's bubble container and hoop(just like we did as kids). Bubble therapy is a posh way of saying "Blowing Bubbles" which might seem very mundane but I have actually had a lady who has never moved since i have been here move her fingers in, what I would like to believe, is an attempt to catch a bubble. I have also seen eye movement following the flight of a bubble. It also provides a fun period for the more able bodied of my clients. Lets face it everyone remembers "blowing bubbles"
regards
martyn

Noone

Mar 12, 2007
Surrey
Hi...please also remember that what one 'sufferer' likes can also change the very next day. I decided that we would what Masterchef series, and three consecutive days later, my charge stood up and said 'not bloody cooking again' and stormed out of the room...:D

I find music a huge stimulant...and have found that she likes to sing really outloud, like opera stylee... so I sometimes go through the computer and find links to songs and play them to her. Often silly ones like Speedy Gonzales...

She likes to listen to book tapes.

Talking about her past life, as a teenager and remembering holidays is also a good stimuli

Conversation sometimes works, but mainly if the speaker is interested in her dirctly, otherwise she drifts off.

Oh and she has taken to talking to a picture of the Mona Lisa...so perhaps posters and faces...

Because of the fickle nature, I have introduced different tv programmes to what 'she used to like', introduced 'different' music.

She also likes to think she's helping, so at meal times she'll ask if she can help, I say yes and she's happy to stand and watch me. So perhaps for some you can encourage them to help doing something, whereas in fact they do nothing at all.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Martyn

Thanks for the information, although my parents are mobile enough, I can see Mum being entertained with bubbles. Child like things appeal to her now

Of to the toy shop tomorrow for some bubbles

Alfjess

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Martyn said:
Lets face it everyone remembers "blowing bubbles"
Hi Martyn,

This was one of the activities I used to do for Dad, he was a West Ham supporter, so I hoped it was a multi memory-jerker for him.

Well done on your pay rise :)eek:) and keep up the good work. :)

Best wishes,

Martyn

Dec 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
I have really enjoyed the last two days as, with the unseasonal weather, it has allowed us to get out and about. By the end of the day I have almost been on my knees(not really-just looking for sympathy!) having pushed my clients around the local town but it has been well worth it. They are completely different people outside the care home. I am a firm believer now that it is when they have time to think of replies that the strange words come out. Just exchanging simple pleasantries to passers by is a joy to behold as a smile and a "good morning" just comes naturally to us all.
The highlight was taking Graham out. Most mornings I feed Graham, my first job on arrival at work. Graham cannot converse and just shouts out illegibly which can be unnerving if you are not ready for it. He cannot move, apart from occasional gesticulations and he is also epileptic. Graham used to be a county rugby player and regularly attended international matches.
We went to the local school and watched the end of a rugby match. I asked the master in charge if I could borrow the ball just for a few seconds and he instructed a young lad to bring it over and let Graham hold it. Well I have never been an emotive person but I had to turn away when the youngster handed the ball over. For a very brief moment I swear there was recognition from Graham and that was confirmed when he held onto the rugby ball with the broadest smile I have seen from him. A moment I was privaleged to share.
regards
Martyn

Last edited: