Diamond Jubilee

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Having posted recently that I’m not maudlin, I have to confess that I have spent the jubilee celebrations on the verge of tears. I admire the queen so much. I think she has done a wonderful job, and as we all know, it hasn’t always been easy for her. How great that so many people wanted to show their appreciation.

It’s so sad that Prince Phillip was not able to support her today, as he has done for so many years. I think he deserves appreciation too. Always in the background, but always there for her.

We are assured that his illness is not serious, but many of us know the possibly disastrous effects of a UTI. The Queen must know that the days of relying on his support are numbered, and I think she was incredibly brave this morning.

My highlights? Gary Barlow’s programme as he recorded his song. I never liked him, thought he was very arrogant, but he did a brilliant job there,

And the young choir, drawn together from all over the country to sing a new anthem. They too were wonderful, and I loved the anthem. I hope we hear it again.

And of course the Archbishop of Canterbury’s address. I thought he struck just the right note. What a farewell from him.

I watched the coronation, my first experience of TV. We didn’t have one, but a neighbour invited us to watch with them. And my sister was married in coronation year, so we look forward to celebration their diamond wedding . My bridesmaid gift was a Wedgwood brooch with a portrait of the queen. I’ve never worn it, it’s not really my style. Wonder how much it’s worth now?

I know not everyone admires the royal family, and many others will have simply enjoyed an extra holiday, but for me this has been a very moving experience.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Glad You Enjoyed The Jubilee

Hello Skye , Am glad you enjoyed Gary Barlow etc & like you i like the Queen & the Royal Family :) ( tho only in a quiet way ) Went out last night with 2 Friends :) & saw the Pop Concert on a Big Screen it was a "free event " put on by the Council & at 10.15 a Becaon was lit :) Had a lovely evening tho it was a bit chilly at times !

Watched the Queen at St Paul's & thought it was a shame / sad she had to go up the steps on her own ( as you said she was very brave ) Hope the Duke makes a good & speedy recovery !

Hope you enjoy the rest of the day / celebrations Skye ( the Queen is on her Balcony ! :) )

Love Grove x x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
A Job For The Mods ?

Hi Saffie , can see what you mean guess its just one of those things that happend's ? Not a real problem i guess ? However to save other's being confused etc & Skye does not mind guess a Mod could very kindly:) "add " it to the other Jubilee "Thread " ?

Just a thought & like just said you would have to ask Skye first ! !

Love Grove x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I should explain.

My reasons for posting here are twofold. Firstly, this is now the only forum where I feel comfortable to post.

But my primary reason is the one that prompted me to post at all. I was so impressed this morning at the Queen's courage. Many of us on this particular forum know the sadness of an occasion where we felt profoundly the absence of a loved one, and it must have been so poignant for her when Prince Phillip's absence was unexpected. I thought many of us would understand this.

However, it appears once again that I have got it wrong. Please remove this thread if you wish, but I do not want it moved to Tea Room, where it would not be appropriate.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Sorry Hazel. I just thought it might mean duplicating posts and getting muddled. It's not a case of getting things wrong - and I should know as I'm a past master at that! :rolleyes:

I understand and appreciate your reasoning. I'm not very good at checking where posts are - I'm inclined to look at the New Posts page and take it from there. Please carry on. I'm concerned about Prince Philip too - sure he caught a chill on Sunday.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Skye,

I agree with your thoughts re Prince Philip and the Queen having to continue without him in what must be an incredibly challenging weekend for her - I'm tired and I only went to a couple of events!

And I did have that thought re the UTI - blimey, I do hope he wasn't as confused as we here tend to have experienced at one time or another in our stories....

And I was also just sad on a personal note as all these events would have been something my mother would have so enjoyed, being an ardent Royalist. What turned out to be her last lucid days were watching and talking about Prince William's wedding to Kate last year. Ah well.....

But I loved the fireworks at the end of the concert, and the pageantry of the horsemen today - it did look splendid. Anything to take our minds off the rain yet again!

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Britain does the pomp and ceremony so well. So many people moan about our country but I think when it comes to events like these, we are world beaters, and it is based on history too.

I have managed to watch some of it on TV, and felt such emotion at times. The fireworks at the end of the concert were amazing. I felt for the queen being without Prince Philip.

Jan

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Dear Hazel, so glad you are posting and in this section too. I think it was totally stoical and in the Queen's character for her to carry on without Prince Philip. Underneath she must have had extreme emotions as he has so supported her over the years to the extent of sacrificing his own naval career. As you say Prince Philip is worthy of equal recognition.

I also feel the loss of sharing this weekend with my Mum. She was married on June 6th 1953, so I was brought up on memories of the Coronation. Trooping the Colour was always high on her TV viewing list and it always evoked strong emotions. I was taken to see it twice when we lived in north Kent... We were on the parade ground at 5am !! Warm memories.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you all so much for the replies.:)

It's reassuring to know that I'm not completely off the wall, and others share my feelings.:)

xxxxx

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
A note of dissent.

I neither saw nor heard any of the celebrations as I just thought the whole lot was a remarkably expensive PR excercise promoting something that none of us can control and therefore are completely powerless to change.

Yours, in the minority,

Doncaster.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Possibly not even in the minority, Grommit, but what an old misery-guts!:D

What about the feel-good factor? What about the revenue from sales of the TV programmes round the world? What about the tourist industry? What about ......

But I know I won't convince you!;)

For me, it wasn't about any of those things. It was about expressing appreciation to a very brave, dedicated and conscientious lady.

xxxxx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Skye & Sorry For Any Upset

Hello Skye , Am so glad you started this "Thread " & to share your enjoyment:) of the Jubilee Concert & other Jubilee Events , also to read about your Sister 's own "Diamond " Wedding & your Bridesmaid's "Gift " very intersting . Hope did not cause you any upset etc if you read my other Post ( after Saffie 's ) ( & can fully understand why you want it left in this Forum ) Sorry if i seemed a bit hasty/ wrong in my other Post & just wanted to say sorry .

Thank you once again for "sharing " your news

Love Grove x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hazel, can I echo – or parallel - your thoughts? And thank you for this thread.:)

I have some empathy with Grommitt here .... as in I personally wouldn’t give most of the younger royals tuppence ha’penny of my time or attention, but Lillibet is an amazing woman – as is her consort and I believe deserves every scrap of recognition from young and old for her selfless sacrifice and dedication to duty which she didn't ask to be born into! (And Prince Phillip, too – me being a supporter of his gaffes – which I often don’t see as gaffes at all – just the PC world gone mad when he makes a quip!:rolleyes:)

I have recorded much of the coverage and have only kept up with events in the news and was saddened at first that the sun didn’t shine for her .... but then actually broke down when I read the Duke of Edinburgh had been admitted to hospital .....:(

I have seen the BBC have been slated for some of the inane coverage of events ... I did watch the flypast this afternoon after which one commentator observed ... ‘I bet they are all going in now for a nice cup of tea.’ I mean – for goodness sakes .... with Prince Philip so poorly ..... :confused:

To see pictures of her today with a Lady in Waiting beside her in lieu of her beloved husband was heart-breaking ... and how she smiled all afternoon is beyond me ... when any other mere mortal would have been at their husband’s bedside ....... dedication to her country to the nth degree?

Most of all, this weekend has brought a few tears for me personally ... even a few years ago, my mum would have switched on the BBC Saturday morning and left it on until the very last news bulletin this evening to catch every last glimpse of whatever was happening ... so these occasions always hold a sense of loss for me that she is not here to share those times with .....

God willing, Prince Phillip is soon restored to her HM's side for many more years yet ....

Much love, Karen, x

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
I agree Tender Face and I do hope he recovers swiftly and is not left on a stretcher in the gangway at the hospital before someone has the time to find him a bed.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hello Skye , Am so glad you started this "Thread " & to share your enjoyment:) of the Jubilee Concert & other Jubilee Events , also to read about your Sister 's own "Diamond " Wedding & your Bridesmaid's "Gift " very intersting . Hope did not cause you any upset etc if you read my other Post ( after Saffie 's ) ( & can fully understand why you want it left in this Forum ) Sorry if i seemed a bit hasty/ wrong in my other Post & just wanted to say sorry .

Thank you once again for "sharing " your news

Love Grove x

Grove, thank you. Absolutely no offence taken.:)

Karen, thanks for the support.:)

xxxxx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thank You Skye

Hello Skye , Thank you for your reply & glad you did not take any offence . :) Hope you & the "real " Skye are well & the Sun is out for you , after a damp start early this morning with me the Sun is out & hopefully its going to be a nice day ! ( tho its going to be wasted on me as am working today ! )

Hope you have a good day

Love Grove x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I agree Tender Face and I do hope he recovers swiftly and is not left on a stretcher in the gangway at the hospital before someone has the time to find him a bed.

As if Grommet, as if! Now wouldn't that make the headlines! I di hope he gets over this quickly though - in time for his birthday too.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
An illustration from today's Daily Mail:

Queen.jpg

The Queen is human, and just like the rest of us, she feels pain.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
She does indeed - she is very normal, I think -and I have had a converstion with her!
I read in the paper that she costs us 60pence each a year - tremendous value for the revenue she attracts to the country, surely even Grommet must agree!!!;)