new to the forum

always_hopeful

May 7, 2012
Hi guys

I’m in my late twenties and i look after my mum who has early onset dementia. Just wanted to come on this forum to talk to other people who may be in a similar situation. I don’t know anyone in my local area my age who is caring for a parent. I have got so many sympathetic and understanding friends but none truly know what day to day life is like.

I balance caring for my mum with doing a full time job but spend my evenings and weekends with my mum, whenever i go out i am always in a rush to get home to look after mum and it is always on my mind when i am out also when i am out i feel guilty that i am not at home looking after mum so thought this forum would be a good way to talk to people from home whilst looking after mum. I love my mum to bits, she has done so much for me so want to do all i can do for her and make sure i give her all the help i can.

For those in a similar situation I wanted to ask how have people found caring and balancing a social life? And how do your friends treat you about the subject?

my apologies if i have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello always_hopeful

Welcome to the Forum .

The only way you`ll be able to continue with your social life is to have a carers` assessment from Social Services and see if they can provide a sitter for your mum. That is unless you have friends or family who will stay with her for you.

While caring for my husband my social life was zero but you are far too young to become housebound however much you love your mum.

I hope other younger carers will come on TP to support you. It might not be this evening so please don`t lose heart.

kevino

Mar 27, 2011
London
Advice on good care homes in Dublin?

Hi, This is a great resource - I can't see anything similar in Ireland.

I want to investigate Care Homes in Dublin. If you have recommendations or warnings, will you post them please?

I couldn't see how to start a new thread. So far i have been reading only.

Thanks. Kevin

always_hopeful

May 7, 2012
Thanks Grannie G, had a few carers assesments done which have been good we have carers that come and sit with mum during the day on weekdays, we use to have friends that would sit with mum but sadly now it has progressed to a stage where its not fair on them and it really needs a professional or a close family member.

will be great to hear from others as well, no rush though :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi, This is a great resource - I can't see anything similar in Ireland.

I want to investigate Care Homes in Dublin. If you have recommendations or warnings, will you post them please?

I couldn't see how to start a new thread. So far i have been reading only.

Thanks. Kevin

If anyone wishes to recommend a care home will they please do so by private message. Please realise everyone has different needs so what might be suitable for one may be unsuitable for another, which is why recommendations cannot beat personal research.

Kevin, you can start a new Thread here.

Last edited:

always_hopeful

May 7, 2012
thank you mrs pepperpot, such nice words however must point out i'm her son not her daughter :) but really appreciate it i just want to make her life the best i can.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I, too, would like to Welcome you to Talking Point. I am not a young carer so am not able to offer what you need but Talking Point seems to be made up of people of all ages and we rub along together very well:) I wonder whether you have had any contact with The Carers Federation? http://www.carersfederation.co.uk/what-we-do/. I do know that they offer wonderful support to young carers.

Your life is so important and the best that you can do for your mother is to take the greatest care of yourself;) I do realise that this is easier said than done but I really do believe it. I cared for my late husband and realised very early on that he was going to be dependant upon me for his life and well-being and so I knew my responsibility was to keep myself as well (emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually) as possible.

Love

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976