My Mom

LLC

May 8, 2012
My mom was diagnosed with early dementia approx 2 yrs ago. We've noticed repetition of stories, forgetfulness as the main symptoms seen in her. However, just this past 2 days she has gone from what we know to be "normal" to a crazed state, seeing things/people that aren't there, making no sense in a conversation etc.

Is this what happens with the disease? Just all of a sudden severe symptoms like the two I mentioned come on out of nowhere? I spoke to her on a Friday and she was fine. I called Monday and she was completely out of it, speaking nonsense, making no sense etc.

I'm just trying to understand. Will I get my Mom back? Will she remember these episodes if I tell her? Is this what we are to expect from now on?

Signed,
Sad and Confused:confused:

kevino

Mar 27, 2011
London
Could your Mum have a UTI?

Hi,

When my Mum suddenly gets worse we get her checked for Urinary Infection (UTI).

It correlates with sudden worsening of memory, confusion etc. And it's easily treated with antibiotics. Hope that's useful.

mrs pepperpot

Nov 12, 2010
south wales
Maybe she had a bad weekend, something might have happened to upset or unsettle her, or a routine may have changed and confused her, this can often result in that kind of behaviour. it doesnt take much to completely confuse my mum, just one person saying something in front of her will send her into a panic. Just a thought....Good luck.

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
Sudden change as you describe is often an infection and often a UTI, so I think your starting point is getting to the GP and a check up.

If it is not an infection, and continues then you are going to need other support and again the GP is a good starting point.

Do hope you can find out what has caused the change and things revert to as they were, it is distressing enough the gradual loss of abilities but I know sudden change is very distressing.

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
LLC - it is very distressing when there is a sudden and unexpected downturn like this. I would definitely try to arrange a test for UTI (urinary tract infection) as soon as possible. Mum has had several - they are unfortunately quite common and more to do with lack of fluid intake than hygiene but as the others suggest, can be easily cured with antibiotics - BUT you need to get the course started as soon as possible, and arrange for someone to help your Mum take the course if you think she won't be able to supervise her own tablet-taking.

You don't mention whether your Mum has vascular dementia or Alzheimer's or? It might be that if it's VD, she has had another couple of mini-strokes and things might improve in another day or so. Definitely a case for getting in touch with the GP and/or district nurses for support though. It needs to be identified and sorted if possible, before your Mum comes to any harm.

PS UTIs can come on very quickly and can make people seem quite bonkers. Mum thought she was going to be executed one time....

LLC

May 8, 2012
Wow.. what a wonderful bunch you all are... thank you so much for your caring and thoughtful, informative replies. I have NO experience with this and don't live where my Mom does so THANK YOU all very much for this information.

I am flying to where she lives this weekend and will definitely follow your advise.

Again, many many thanks.