hip fracture in 87 year old MIL

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
My MIL is in hospital with a broken hip, she has mild dementia.
The Doctors are not operating and just say that she will never walk again.
Complete bed rest for 3 weeks then she will have to be hoisted in and out of bed/chair.
Is this right? How can they just condemn her to a life like that?
They seem to have just written her off.

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
littlegem,
That's sounds so unfair,age discrimination ? :(
Val x
Everyone has a right to the best possible treatment the NHS can offer,totally regardless of age or mental state,this makes my blood boil. Keep fighting for what's best for your relative.

Last edited:

mike antony

Apr 14, 2012
is it because she is in such a frail state an operation could kill her ?
doctors have a duty of care
you need get the reasoning behind this
it is awful im sorry but i understand
my mum recently stoppped being able to walk and needs to be hoisted

Taz

Jul 7, 2007
Sussex
My Dad broke both hips in two separate falls, one before Christmas last year and then when he came home (early because he was deteriorating so much in hospital, he has had Vasc Dem since 2006) he broke the other just before New Year....he is 80.
The so called after 'care' has consigned him to a life of double incontinence (none before), in a wheelchair, in a temporary care home and with Social Services behaving like some kind of totalitarian dictatorship.
If its not because the op would do more harm than good, I would raise the roof and make as much noise as possible. Unfortunately, had I known that Dad would be cast aside and forgotten, I would have made more of a fuss sooner than I did and maybe, had I done so, he wouldn't be in the situation he is today.
Good luck.....
X

joaniemac

Feb 4, 2012
Hi Littlegem

What a terrible situation for you, I think that you need to ask for a second opionion, further clarification of their decision, take it to PALS or eventually go to the local MP or the press. The last one may get a result. It is a terrible decision and she has a right to the same standard of care and subsequent quality of life that we would all expect. Someone has to be her voice and that someone needs to be you.

Good Luck

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My MIL is in hospital with a broken hip, she has mild dementia.
The Doctors are not operating and just say that she will never walk again.
Complete bed rest for 3 weeks then she will have to be hoisted in and out of bed/chair.
Is this right? How can they just condemn her to a life like that?
They seem to have just written her off.

I don't understand this. My mother was over 90 when she broke a hip and her dementia was pretty bad. There was no question of not operating, although they did say she might not recover well, i.e. this could be the beginning of the end (it wasn't).

They seemed to think the alternative of bed rest for weeks just wasn't on.

And BTW the hospital staff were fantastic with her - I was really worried how they'd cope since she could be v stroppy, but I needn't have.

Has your mil got some other condition (e.g. heart) that might make a general anaesthetic more dangerous? This is sometimes a factor since there is always a slight risk anyway.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It depends on the nature of the fracture.

I would guess that the decision not to surgically repair it is based on your MIL's overall health. Hip repair surgery, whilst fairly major, is usually very effective and importantly can render patients mobile quite quickly.

Cost will certainly not be a factor, since the surgery would cost less than the long term care of an immobile patient.

Whilst doctors are certainly keen to avoid anaesthesia of all types where dementia is involved, I very much doubt that is the reason here. There is evidence that epidural and local anaesthesia can be almost as devastating as a general to someone with dementia. There is also the big problem that the patient must be able to co-operate, critically they must have the ability to remain still when instructed. This can pose a problem in dementia.

As said, ask the consultants in charge about the decision. I am fairly certain that the sole reason behind it is that your MIL is felt to have a poor chance of surviving the surgery. Her age and dementia are factors to be considered but many elderly patients have hip repairs. The decision not to operate and permanent immobility as a result will not have been taken lightly.

Sadly, sometimes the "best treatment" is no treatment - or at least, the avoidance is "agressive" treatments (eg surgery) and using "conservative" treatments instead.

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Thank you all for your replies.

MIL does not have any other conditions I am aware of, as she is not on any medications I would assume her general health is reasonable given her age.
She is very thin, not sure if that would count against the op.
The consultant actually said she is very good for her age??!!!!!!
I'm not angry or annoyed by the decision not to operate just very puzzled when there are a lot of older people having hip operations.
I think SILs are having a best interests meeting next week with SS, care home etc.
mainly to see if the care home would be able to cope with MIL's extra needs.
We live 150 miles away so cannot go as there is no-one who can put us up with hubby's mobility problems. Stayed overnight in a hotel last night when we went to see her but it cost over £100 all in (petrol, food etc), that's just for one night!!!!!!!
Thanks again
Take care all

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would just think long and hard about a general anaesthetic for anyone with dementia - it had an immediate and catastrophic effect on my Mum, and hers was only a low level anaesthetic for a crushed finger. A year later she is completely unable to do anything for herself - and I mean anything. She lies immobile in her reclining chair, unable even to speak. Maybe this would have happened anyway - but I was warned beforehand it could have an effect.
C

lisarobs

Apr 10, 2012
my mum broke her hip 4 weeks today she was great up to then had op and has gone down hill since its heartbreaking cant do anything for herself anymore .