I am truely upset .....................................

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
..........at some of the recent posts on TP which show the lengths some people (including family members) will go to in their attempt to 'relieve' dementia sufferers (all types) of their funds and sometimes their assets by what can only be described as theft :mad: They are no better than common criminals but worse in some ways as they know their 'victim'. :mad::mad:

I feel deeply sorry for those who are trying hard to prevent this happening and the upset and betrayal they must feel on behalf of their loved one :(

Good Luck to you all.

eastiesgir

Oct 9, 2011
totally agree with what you're saying. I must say I've been lucky in as much in my family no one is trying to fleece my mum, but I have been on the receiving end of endless questions off one of my brothers which made me feel like he didn't trust me with mums money.
I keep receipts for anything and everything now just to cover myself:rolleyes:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I totally agree. You would not believe people could behave so badly and sometimes to their own family. I suppose it is because the victims are easy targets. As the old song says "like taking candy from a baby". With regard to businesses it is a pity we could not start a name and shame thread but that would be against the TP rules and I can see why as it might damage a business if someone was named in error.
I once chased a chap down our street who was trying to misell transfer to his electricity to my over 90 year old neighbour. He did have a badge with his details pinned to his chest but kept his hand firmly over it when I caught him up. He pretended he was her existing supplier offering a cheaper tariff whereas in reality he was a rival supplier trying to get her to transfer. He insisted he was doing nothing wrong but if so why did he conceal his badge. I did get the name of his company and reported it to trading standards though.
On the plus side I often feel cheered and humbled by the efforts of carers as detailed on this site to do their absolute best for their loved ones, especially when the red tape and officialdom can be so hard to deal with.
Tre

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
TOTALLY AGREE

The word crime is too soft !

Have an interesting theory on it, as in, have we created this situation ourselves living in such a MATERIAL WORLD ?

Don't know who the scientist is that said something like, to every action there is an opposite and equal reaction (believe in reference to physics) but I believe that human behaviour has generally declined over the years as we have generally become better off.

Sorry, just my theory !

jude50

Dec 28, 2011
Cardiff
I totally agree, the number of times in the past I had to cancel charity donations from callers signing up Mum by being 'such a nice person' and then telephone companies that cancelled her BT account and signed her to their tariff by saying they were BT just made my blood boil. I seemed to have a direct line to trading standards at one time complaining about these cold callers taking advantage of a vunerable person but I'm a bolshie madam and they had short shrift from me I can tell you. Luckily now Mum doesn't answer the telephone as she's never alone in the house and just ignores ita anyway when it rings but arghh I get so angry with them.

must stop now before I get riled up again

Jude

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I am so angry about this too
its dreadful to take advantage of vulnerable people

Around 40 yrs ago my Nan had terminal cancer, she was living with my mum n dad for some TLC
my parents and I wanted go go away for a week so my dad asked his brother if he would take nan , he agreed

nan came back minus her bank books, turned out uncle had persuaded nan to hand them over
when my dad got onto him he told my dad that as he was the eldest he should manage nans money,dad said something like (im putting it very politely here) when r you going to collect mum, you want her money you have mum as well ,strangely her bank books were returned swiftly money had been withdrawn but put back

Frilly

Feb 17, 2012
I have to totally agree with you all too.
How can anyone who is supposed to be a caring, loving family member be so evil as to want everything they can squeeze out of a poor, innocent, frail and mentally ill person. It is completely beyond me that there isn't some kind of law that will protect people with dementia from the LEECHES of society. I personally can only gain any kind of solace by thinking "What goes around, comes around" and that these people will get their come uppance one day.

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Hello everyone,

Yes me too, agree with all that has been said on here. I guess certain situations, conditions, illnesses or crises within our society & within individuals will always bring out the very best or the very worst in people directly involved.

Love Dottie xx

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
For me it was the new 'friends' mum acquired in the last 2yrs she was living on her own. Unfortunately by the time I realised what was going on mum was down to just a few thousand in the bank. A royal albert tea set that my dad bought her when we moved into that house in 1976 has gone. A beautiful and expensive skirt that I bought mum for christmas disappeared within 3wks. When we moved mum into her sheltered housing we discovered most of the furniture was missing from upstairs. Mum had lived downstairs for the previous 3yrs so I never went upstairs. The airing cupboard was empty too. I could list for hours all that went. When I asked mum where all the stuff was she couldn't tell me. I later found out she had been paying people to do things for her but I never saw any evidence of work having been done.
I don't know how these people can sleep in their beds knowing that they are living off the backs of old and mentally infirm people. I know the names of the people who robbed mum but I can't prove it. I told one of the thieves that there was a hidden camera in mum's living room as I knew she was being robbed. You should have seen her face!! She was most interested to know if i'd seen anything. I said I couldn't comment but strangely enough this woman stopped visiting but mum moved 2wks later anyway.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Glad I am not alone in my thoughts and given the amount of comments just on this short post it appears to be widespread.

Although I was brought up in the East End and now live in Essex (no I am not like anyone on TOWIE - don't have the 'assets' or a vajazzle!!) I was always taught right from wrong and to treat people as you would wish to be treated.

Shame some of these low lives don't have any morals :mad:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
when my dad got onto him he told my dad that as he was the eldest he should manage nans money,dad said something like (im putting it very politely here) when r you going to collect mum, you want her money you have mum as well ,strangely her bank books were returned swiftly money had been withdrawn but put back

That's the stuff - good on your dad.

We had some wretched financial adviser calling on my fil before he got very bad and persuading him into some investment that was completely wrong for anyone of his age. Luckily he was still just about with it enough to worry that he'd done the wrong thing and tell a son, who immediately had it cancelled.

IMO there should be MUCH stiffer penalites for people who target and prey on the old and vulnerable - from what you see on the likes of Rogue Traders nothing happens to the evil thieving b*st*rds at all.

My mother had a cheque for £4K go missing after my brother had sold some shares on her behalf. God knows where it went - my mother was never one of those old dears who invite random callers in for cups of tea - far more likely to give them short shrift. But somehow it had been cashed. That was the point where we said, right, that's it, and activated the P of A.