Doll Therapy

Purpledesk

Dec 29, 2008
South East
My mother in law is in a CH now and although she used to be very fond of owls (she had a vast number of owl ornaments at home) she is now particularly fond of a pink beany baby rabbit. It was actually a "welcome to your new home" gift from the CH, which I thought was a little odd at the time but now I'm of the opinion that it was a brilliant idea!

She will not let the rabbit out of her sight ("she's lovely she is") and will even tuck it into the waistband of her trousers when it's time for meals!!

We bought a teddy for her at Christmas, but she's not that interested in him, much preferring her "lovely bunny" :)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
This is a lovely thread. I'm wondering whether it would be worth trying this with my mam, getting her a doll or a cuddly toy. I'm not sure if she's far enough down the Alzheimer's road yet - I'm nervous of trying it in case she thinks I'm totally potty. And I don't want to upset my dad in case he thinks I'm treating her like a child.

I just don't know what to do!

And when I think about 18 months ago when my eldest daughter moved out and we got rid of about 50 cuddly toys that were sitting on top of her wardrobes! She only had room in her new house for a select few. We did give them to charity, but it never crossed my mind about care homes, what a good idea.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Collegegirl,

Your Mum might think you're potty but she may also respond in a positive way when you're not around - is there anything to lose by trying?

I've got lots of cuddlys I always thought they were for the benefit of my nieces and other children that visited but I'd miss them all if someone took them away, in fact I most definately wouldn't let them. I know I've a problem and having cuddly toys does feel like I'm being 'childish' but I very much feel like a child trapped in a woman's body at times and that is frustrating beyond explanation, I don't know how I get comfort from them but I do and with this flippin 'dementia' I need all the comfort I can get - human beings tend to stay away - cuddly toys dont!

All the best
Sue

Janeyjane

Aug 21, 2011
Northamptonshire, UK
Mum

My mother is 93yrs suffering from vascular dementia. She has spent the last 4yrs of her life in a nursing home. Distressing as this is, it is even more distressing when she is agitated and aggressive ( unlike her personality)
However at Christmas time my sister and I noticed how much calmer she seemed when given a teddy bear. After observing this for a few days we decided to buy a doll for mum.
The benefits have been fantastic. She is less distressed, agitated and aggressive but what is more outstanding is her ability to speak perfect sense to the doll itself. We have been able to use this as a form of communication and our times with mum are much more pleasant and interactive.
Interesting to note is my friends mum who also suffers from alzheimers and lives at home is also benefiting immensly from a doll they bought for her mum after my relating my own personal experience with mum.
We would appreciate any feedback others may feel or have experienced in connection with this form of therapy.

My Mum has had a doll for the past two years, she loves her dolls, I bought her two. Both have soft bodies and are washable she loves them. She can't speak now so cant tell me but, her eyes say it all.
If this is helping your Mum too, just enjoy - I did and yes Mum's dolls did calm her down loads.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Collegegirl,

- is there anything to lose by trying?

Sue

No, Sue, I guess not! :) I don't mind if mam thinks I'm daft really, I just don't want to upset either her or my dad by doing the wrong thing :confused:. I think the idea of taking some cuddlies round and "forgetting" to take them away again for the charity shop might be the best way to go, then I can judge her reaction without actually giving her a toy. I might just give it a try. Even if I chicken out, I think it's something to re-visit in the future when we're maybe a bit further along the path.

Woo

Mar 18, 2012
I tried dad with a teddy bear that was his great grandsons when he used to stay there, but it's wasn't right, he didn't take to it.

How about this sort of thing for men.. dad was an electrician.. any ideas?

I used to give my residents items which were connected to past interests and occupations. A workmans belt with plugs, tape measure etc along as they cannot hurt themselves or anyone else with the objects they should really help. Also supervising someone with a screw driver while they unscrew and screw in something like a shoe rack. Hope this helps...:):)

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Woo,

I saw something similar that had been made for guys with dementia and it consisted of a board with a number of old locks on it and a chain with a bunch of keys on it. Seemingly it provided hours of enjoyment, particularly for someone who is either fidgeting or is obsessive. What I would like to know however is whether ANY of the keys fitted any of the locks! LOL

I also read the story about the man with advanced dementia who had cycled a lot throughout his life. He was nearly blind, but the staff one day put him on an exercise bike to see if it would trigger any memories and as soon as he was on there and his feet placed on the peddles he was off, cycling away happy as Larry.

It must be a wonderful experience all round when something is found that opens that door for a short period of time.

Fiona

Woo

Mar 18, 2012
My mother is 93yrs suffering from vascular dementia. She has spent the last 4yrs of her life in a nursing home. Distressing as this is, it is even more distressing when she is agitated and aggressive ( unlike her personality)
However at Christmas time my sister and I noticed how much calmer she seemed when given a teddy bear. After observing this for a few days we decided to buy a doll for mum.
The benefits have been fantastic. She is less distressed, agitated and aggressive but what is more outstanding is her ability to speak perfect sense to the doll itself. We have been able to use this as a form of communication and our times with mum are much more pleasant and interactive.
Interesting to note is my friends mum who also suffers from alzheimers and lives at home is also benefiting immensly from a doll they bought for her mum after my relating my own personal experience with mum.
We would appreciate any feedback others may feel or have experienced in connection with this form of therapy.

We used Dolls and cuddly toys they are a great comfort. If someone tends to walk around a lot, putting the doll or cuddly in a push chair or pram for them to take for a walk also helps to keep the person busy and helps to give the person a goal which is important to them....:)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
No, Sue, I guess not! :) I don't mind if mam thinks I'm daft really, I just don't want to upset either her or my dad by doing the wrong thing :confused:. I think the idea of taking some cuddlies round and "forgetting" to take them away again for the charity shop might be the best way to go, then I can judge her reaction without actually giving her a toy. I might just give it a try. Even if I chicken out, I think it's something to re-visit in the future when we're maybe a bit further along the path.

You know your Mum and Dad CollegeGirl and the charity thing sounds a good idea - you could perhaps say something like 'it's hard to get rid of them as they're so cute and hold memories' but as you say even if you chicken out you can revisit - it's a delicate path but I'm sure you'll find the right time and the right way. My neighbour was throwing some out a couple of years ago but she was going to put them in the bin:eek:I had to rescue them from there - but they didn't make it to the charity shop either:D

There's something about monkeys too - I've had a favourite for many years! He's a Charlie too!

popplestone

Oct 26, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Some time ago I met a lady who was given a doll after she was found tearing pictures of babies from a magazine. The doll had removable clothes and as she was still living in her own house she often washed the clothes etc. She appeared to take great comfort from the doll and treated ikt as though it was a baby. I wish you well and hope your mother continues to be contented with own Doll Regards.....Popplestone

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
I took a couple of baby dolls and a whole load of baby clothes into one of my dementia homes last week. Before I took them I cut off some of the buttons, took down a couple of hems and removed the elastic from a knitted skirt. When I got everything out, I told the ladies that I'd just done the washing for the babies and some of thier clothes needed mending and could they help me. Well, I didn't expect such a reaction! One lady who I never really get any response from, immediately took to one of the dolls and nursed her, showing her off to everyone. This particular doll cries and gurgles and was a delight to see her putting the doll on her shoulder, patting her back and cooing at her.
The other ladies either started folding the huge pile of clothes and some offered to sew the buttons etc. it was a delightful afternoon. Even the home owner came out and congratulated me on this activity. Since then , she has bought 3 dolls that are permanently in the lounge.
I will definitely be doing this activity again!

For the men I bought a selection of nuts and bolts and asked them if they could help me put them together as I'd got all the sizes mixed up. "typical woman!" one said.
They really appeared to enjoy this and it kept them occupied for about an hour.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
we looked out a tiger which we think my mother gave to my son 20 years ago and two monkeys which my son bought with his pocket money 15 years ago. I took them to the CH this morning with a selection of silk ribbons and white card. My mother was enchanted. She chose purple ribbon for the tiger and red for the monkeys. She decided the tiger was called Fred so I put Fred's name round his neck on the purple ribbon with my mother's name on the back so everybody knew who he belonged to. She decided to wait until this evening to name the monkeys so I put her name on the white cards for them both, tied on with the red ribbon. My mother sat Fred on her lap and told him to take his turn. But - pointing at the monkeys - she said she didn't want to hurt their feelings - he was her favourite.

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
What wonderful stories:) It really cheers my heart to hear even of a moments pleasure given.

Love

Nasus

May 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Dolls, or real children

I'm most interested in this thread. My father is in the intermediate stages of dementia. However when he sees children he really enjoys watching and empathising with them. I assume this is a combination of:
a) he always loved children
b) he is remembering being a child
Fortunately he lives in extra care housing where children can visit the communal areas (and his flat), including the restaurant. This link with real life seem to be really beneficial. I'm not trying to say that the doll therapy is not relevant as I can see it is. However I think real people and children relate even better to those who have dementia, so long as their condition is not aggressive. I have observed my father's great grandson go up to him in his wheelchair and they shook hands. The child was only 3 and probably has not shaken hands before. It means the earth to my father I'm sure.
Keep trying to be normal..... it seems to work for me.

Jackcat

Jan 30, 2010
London
Following up on another thread recently I invested in a furreal cat for my Mum, and she took to it straightaway, strokes it 'til it purrs, and talks to it like it is a real puss. She asked me quite soon after he moved in if he was mechanised, as he seemed a bit hard around the joints, and he doesn't seem to like moving, so I told her he was bionic, and in need of fostering or adoption by us, and we decided to name him Bionic Bill. She seems to understand Bionic Bill is not real but she gets enormous pleasure from him, must bring back memories of the cats she had all her life, and I will take the replacement one in to her new care home.

Re the children thing, my Mum loves to stare at, and smile and wave at children, it was one of her first symptoms, and thank heavens they usually respond ok, tho' sometimes their parents don't, and look at her like she could do harm - she's five foot and for goodness sake!

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Jackcat,

How wonderful that your mum gets pleasure from Bionic Bill:D

Hi Nasus,

Alan seemed to like children even more than normal when he had dementia but he lost the ability to empathise which meant he couldn't properly judge what a child might be experiencing. He was often too dominant with children and it frightened them. I always felt that children had the right to be protected and that they needed to be prioritised. I would often have to intervene. It was similar with our real dogs. Alan lost the ability to know what was good for them and so we didn't replace them once they passed away (from old age I might add;)). This is where toys came in for him. He could be just himself and no harm was done and much pleasure was gained. Alan also needed this comfort a lot of the time and it would have been unreasonable to expect real children to be 'available' at the drop of a hat so to speak.

I am so glad that real children are therapeutic for your dad and that it works for him and everyone involved.

Love

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
What a lovely, caring thread. It brought tears to my eyes.

When I was a small girl, perhaps age 6-10, I used to visit friends on the council estate about 100 yards from our house. In those days, a sensible 6-year old could do that in relative safety! To get there, I had to pass the rear of a "hospital". At the rear was a yard where "patients" were able to take some fresh air. The yard was fenced in with mesh wire about 10 feet high. But sometimes there were women in the yard, and I would peer through the fencing at them. Some of them were friendly, they would ask my name and I would tell them. And when I went again, some would remember my name. Quite a few had dolls. I thought it comical as a young child, that an old lady would cart a doll about. And some kids ridiculed them for doing so. They laughed, and threw stones, and shouted abusive remarks. I always felt sorry for the women. I regarded them as MY women, and would sometimes chastise other kids for shouting at them. One was called Kerry, so she told me. The doll was her son John who had died aged 2, so she said. But the doll was John, and he was still alive. I will always remember Kerry. I never argued with her. Other ladies showed me their dolls, and I admired them for how clean and smart they were. I was just a little girl, but I talked to these women and they looked forward to me passing by.

Unbenknown to me, my own great aunt was a patient in that hospital. Nobody told me. we never visited. I have no idea whether or not she was one of the ladies that I talked to through the fence. I only learnt she was there when I started to research my family tree and got her death certificate. Ollersett View Hospital, it said.

Sorry to intrude on the post, just memories flooding back.

Oh, and that was about 1960. 50 plus years ago. I hope we have moved on since then.

Love

Margaret

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
That's a beautiful story Mary. How nice to get the story from the child's perpective:) Isn't it nice to think that somehow you were offering a bit of brightness into your great aunt's life. I think I came to love Kerry from just reading about her. You were a blessing to those people.

Love

Night-owl

Feb 10, 2011
S. Lincs
Eye Opener

Thank-you to everyone who have posted on this topic. I've found it fascinating. Mam now lives in a dementia-registered CH, where I observed a big box of dolls, and Mam nursing one when we visited a few weeks ago. Since then, the doll has sat in a corner of the window-sill. She does talk to her teddies, pussy-cat, and Scottie-dog pyjama case from time to time, endearments mainly. This were acquired over several years before her stroke, and have always given pleasure.
One day several months ago, I found a teddy in a cupboard in her flat with a beautifully wrapped nappy made from loo roll; this was after a respite period in the same home. I wasn't sure how to view this at the time. She quite often said she'd been looking after some children, when I knew this couldn't be physically so. I think that many elderly people, with or without dementia, miss being responsible for others. In fact, several have told me so.
The photo was so moving, beautiful actually.
I know it's a lot easier for me as Mam's 99, when her 'funny little ways' often seem 'sweet'. Now and then I find some people's 'oh, isn't she cute' kind of reactions upsetting, knowing she would have too; but as she's happy most of the time, and always appreciative and considerate, I reflect that we've a great deal to be grateful for.
Love and blessings to you all.