carers falsly filling in care log

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
I was going to say you could not make it up - someone obviously has!!:rolleyes:

A side issue , today I read my mums care plan written by this company it states my mum is asthmatic [ not true] she requires inhalers [not true] she requires creams to be administered[not true]. My mum may have told them this and this is why I requested to be present when my mum was assessed but I have been told that mum has mental capacity to tell them her needs and i do not need to be included .Why then are they not looking for the inhalers and creams that do not exist

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Thanks everyone for your replys.Things with the care company havent improved they turn up for morning calls at 11.45 and then come back for the evening call at 3.45 this impacts on me because understandably mum does not want her evening meal that early and wont take her medication until she has eaten so consequently i have to go to my mums every evening to make sure she eats and takes her meds, Does anyone know if you can request to change care company if care is funded by social services. Also will i just be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire if all care companies are the same or are there some good care companies out there. I live in wales

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Rafferty you are going to have to be strong here (assertive).

First thing in the morning contact SS and tell them (demand) you want a change of Caring Agency - I use the word Caring loosley) and tell them why.

It is not good enough - I do wonder how these people would feel if it was either elderly parent. :mad:

People needing help from agencies is big business due to an aging population and they should not be charging 5* money and giving 1* service :eek:.

Please do it first thing be polite but dont let them fob you off. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks everyone for your replys.Things with the care company havent improved they turn up for morning calls at 11.45 and then come back for the evening call at 3.45 this impacts on me because understandably mum does not want her evening meal that early and wont take her medication until she has eaten so consequently i have to go to my mums every evening to make sure she eats and takes her meds, Does anyone know if you can request to change care company if care is funded by social services. Also will i just be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire if all care companies are the same or are there some good care companies out there. I live in wales

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Also we were always told clients should not be writting in the carer communication sheets, as these are legal documents! I'd leave notes in the files just on separate sheets, just to stop any sticky situations x

That's garbage, I was told I could write in the log if there was a need. As I'm there all the time the carers come, I've only needed to write in the 'Incident' section when dad fell out of bed.

wdfortyplus

Feb 23, 2010
Complain to agency

Hi everyone its me again and I apologise now for this rant but i am so cross.My mum has carers that come in twice a day and up until two weeks ago the carers were from the reablement team employed by the local authority.Her care has now been passed over to a private company and since then there have been nothing but problems.firstly there is no care plan in place so nobody knows why they are there or what they should be doing,i have tried to sort this out but have had no success so far.However last night the carer didnt turn up I know this because i was at my mums last night' I gave my mum her evening meal and her medication this wasn't until about 8.00pm as i work full time and have to feed my own family. If i hadn't gone to my mums last night she would have gone without food and medication ,she doesn't remember things like that.i checked the carers log while i was there and ther was nothing written in there for last night however i have been there todayand it has been filled in for last night saying the carer had made my mum a meal and given her medication, it has been filled in by this mornings carer who was the same one that should have been ther last night.somebody please tell me what to do.

You need to complain about this. Should a carer not turn up or be late etc; for whatever reason then the agency should inform you. However, do phone the agency and ask for the reason of absence and explain the situation. My mum has a carer come in twice a day. I requested via the agency that she be my mum's key worker and we have a really good rapport. My mobile number is on the wall in mums living room so it is ready available to anyone who wishes to contact me over mum's care. When mum first got her carers; someone from the agency came out to do a care plan with mum (and me there!).
If you are not happy with the care you're mum is receiving and have not received satisfactory feedback from agency; then look into changing the care agency who deals with your mum. Talk it over with social worker or who is involved in your mum's care package.

wdfortyplus

Feb 23, 2010
Update info.

A side issue , today I read my mums care plan written by this company it states my mum is asthmatic [ not true] she requires inhalers [not true] she requires creams to be administered[not true]. My mum may have told them this and this is why I requested to be present when my mum was assessed but I have been told that mum has mental capacity to tell them her needs and i do not need to be included .Why then are they not looking for the inhalers and creams that do not exist

You need to get records accurate. You need to talk to whoever it is who filled out this paperwork and set them straight. Where has this info. came from if it wasn't submitted at the assessment? Who told them that you do not need to be INCLUDED? I'm sorry but you need to set the record straight as seems someone somewhere is making those decisions without your input. I would request a face to face with the agency boss for some facts on the matter.

sad girl

Feb 16, 2012
I too had this problem with "carers" - now I just write in their book 'didn't turn up' so they can't complete it another day then i ring the Manager. On several occassions, THEY FORGOT to call !!!! I really don't know why they are called carers as they only call in to make breakfast and put something in the microwave for tea. No actual care is given.

What annoys me now is they always write in the book 'all OK on leaving'. As the carers are different each day, they are not aware of mums memory problem - nothing has been said to me either which, as her carers, you would think they would raise the matter directly!
God help everyone needing help :-(

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
update

I took everybodys advice .reported the falcification of the care log to care company,social services and cssiw. The care company promised me the carer would be suspended pending a full investigation.I was told they would respond to my complaint in 28 days ,they didn't so i phoned them to be told that the carer had been spoken to.does anyone think that this is adequate considering she left a vunerable person without food or medication and then filled in the log the following day to cover herself.I have now requested to change care companys the care company have said that they would agree to terminate the contract as long as social services will assure them in writing that there will be no repercusions on their company. Social services are also investigating the complaint. Because this is a national company I have now contacted their head office outlining the complaint and the outcome of the complaint, they too are investigating and i have been asked to provide a written statement with a timeline of the events.This company are so bad that even whilst all these investigations are taking place they have missed two calls this weekend resulting in medication not being taken and mum missing meals, as she needs prompting for both.I really despair at the lack of care and respect for our elderly and vulnerable.

ggma

Feb 18, 2012
North Staffordshire
What a worrying time for you, and I think you are right to continue with your complaint and expect a much more positive outcome.

Sometimes it is not the carers at fault but the people who are responsible for the logistic's of timing and calls, but when there is someone who they visit regularly I agree what is happening to you is not acceptable.

Hope you get a better outcome from the further investigagtions. Some one somewhere is not doing their job properly and yes with so many people reliant on them it is very worrying.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Hi rafferty,
I'm from Wales too.
I'm so glad you have taken the complaint further.

Treating a vulnerable person in this way is just not good enough.
Filling in false information is dishonest.
Who on earth would want such a person in a position of trust with their relative ever again?
I certainly don't think talking to the carer involved is adequate action.

I also think it totally unacceptable that the care company have said that they would agree to terminate the contract as long as social services will assure them in writing that there will be no repercussions on their company. Not good enough.

Hope your Mum is ok.

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
Following on from this....
technically the care company is committing fraud....
they are fraudulently taking money (which ultimately you and i as tax payers are paying)whilst not providing the agreed service. theft is theft is theft.

If you are not completely satisfied you could tell SS that you are reporting the whole matter to the newspapers.

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Thanks for your replys.I intend to push forward with this complaint not only for my mum who has lots of family to advocate for her but for all those people who don't.My husband is a detective with south wales police and my son is a barrister so we have already pointed out to the Care company that they have commited a criminal offence by taking money for services they are not providing.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Good for you! Like you said - not only for your mum who has people to shout out for her, but for all those poor souls who don't! :(

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Makes my heart glad to read this - pure exploitation on the part of the agency - you go girl :D

Thanks for your replys.I intend to push forward with this complaint not only for my mum who has lots of family to advocate for her but for all those people who don't.My husband is a detective with south wales police and my son is a barrister so we have already pointed out to the Care company that they have commited a criminal offence by taking money for services they are not providing.

People can be so vulnerable, can't they? Dad has lunchtime carers from a private company and when we first started using them, they were full of promises, but a lot of them came to nothing, like never sending someone unknown to Dad without their being introduced by someone he knew. That lasted about a month.

They review the care at intervals and last time the manager kept pushing for him to get the carers to take him for walks and I pointed out that he walks to the shops and back (half a mile each way) by himself and she shut up, but they know he's capable of getting out and about, they just want easy money.

One of the girls says her Friday prayers in his bedroom in working time. I know that's only about 10-15 min, but it's time he pays for. If you ask him he'll say she only did it once, but he's mentioned it happening enough to know that it's a regular occurrence. Another of the girls likes to come and sit with him for about fifteen minutes to 'keep him company' or 'have a chat', which he doesn't need but is to polite to say. That's instead of vacuuming or whatever.

Dad will grumble, grumble grumble until the manager turns up then he's polite as if he thinks he's vulnerable if he complains, but I've told him there are other agencies locally recommended by the AS.

They're so very vulnerable sometimes, aren't they? You have to watch some agencies like a hawk.

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Yes Petrina you do have to watch them and I really don't want to I want a life back where i dont have to police the care company. As I have said before my mum has lots of family support so my mum wiil be ok but its all those people who don't that I worry about. These people take advantage of the fact that people with dementia won't remember all that has gone on. its soul destroying . Thanks for your reply.