Please can you spend 5 minutes completing my survey?

Dsgoddard

Mar 10, 2012
UPDATED: Please can you spend 5 minutes completing my survey? INCLUDES RESULTS

THE FINAL RESULTS CAN BE VIEWED HERE: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ting-my-survey&p=653173&viewfull=1#post653173

Hello everyone :)

Katherine has kindly allowed me permission to post this here.

I am doing a research project on Alzheimer's for college. I really need your help as i'd like to gather the opinions of people on this forum.

All i ask is if you could spend 5 minutes of your time completing this short questionnaire: http://kwiksurveys.com?u=alz-research

Knowledge of Alzheimer's is not required. I am sorry to say it is only open to those in the UK, aged over 18. I only ask that you provide your age group and sex. Your information will be kept strictly confidential and will only be used as part of the college project and viewed by myself, teachers and any relevant exam board. The results of the survey may be distributed to a wider audience but without making reference to individuals.

I will post a little background information about myself in the next post.

Thanks for reading, really appreciate any help provided :) The link again:
http://kwiksurveys.com?u=alz-research

Last edited:

Dsgoddard

Mar 10, 2012
About me!

In February 2011 I had the privilege of being offered a job as a care assistant on a dementia assessment ward. This was my first experience of dementia and it really opened my eyes to this range of illnesses. I really enjoyed my time on the ward, it was a pleasure to help so many wonderful patients, but it was sad in equal parts as well. I left this job after 6 months to come to college where I am studying an ‘Access to H.E.’ course for Nursing. This involves topics such as Anatomy and Physiology, Psychology, Ethics, Sociology and Social Policy. The course is A-level standard and is like taking 3 A-levels in one year. It is very hard work but I am achieving really good results.

As part of the course I have had to design and implement a research project of my choice, the only requirement being it had to relate to a body system. With my previous experience I chose dementia, specifically Alzheimer’s disease. I’m very interested in the changing state of how Alzheimer’s is treated, the advances and changing public perception over the years. I also noticed for the very first time an advert on TV about Alzheimer’s, that was in November last year, maybe you saw it? I’m really pleased also to notice the Government ‘appear’ to be taking the problem seriously with their Dementia Strategy. So, I decided my project would attempt to answer the question “to what extent the public are aware of the signs and symptoms of Alzheimer’s compared to normal aging?”

Many thanks to those who have already completed the questionnaire :)

Thanks also to Alzheimer's Society for allowing me to approach your members. It will make a huge difference to my project.

Last edited:

mockingbird59

Mar 8, 2012
Cheshire
Survey

I hate questionnaires, but have completed it as this is such an important subject - so much more awareness, help and and research needed, both into the care and support side as well as research.
Good luck with your course.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I had a problem with the 'forgetting the date/time of year' question and having to say if this was a symptom of normal ageing or AD, on a strict either/or basis.

For me, forgetting the exact date is something my mum (who doesn't have AD) at 81 might do, simply because she doesn't always have a point of reference. But she is fully aware of the time of year.

Dsgoddard

Mar 10, 2012
Thanks for your comments. This is certainly something i will take on board when it comes to my data analysis. When the survey closes, i'll be happy to comment on this & anything else :)

wjoanne918

Feb 25, 2012
South Wales, UK
All done, very pleased that you included questions in relation to AGE, ALZ is all too often thought of / portrayed and believed to be an OLD persons disease but unfortunatley its a disease that has no prefrance to sex, gender, race or AGE! Thanks x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch