Dad died yesterday

needabrandy

Feb 1, 2012
My dad died yesterday and i am devastated.
I do feel he is now in a better place and free from his tortured mind. My friend mad ethe comment that dementia is a life stealer, how true is that?

I cannot help but beat myself up that I have not seen him since the 18th December with all the health issues I have had to deal with.

Cannot go into all the issues because it is too painful, but the upshot is that there has been a huge family row

There was a family meeting to discuss the funeral arrangements this afternoon and that was held local to where my sisters and stepmom live.Prior to that I was asked by phone if there was anything I wanted brought up at the meeting. My only request was that stepmoms son in law respectfully stayed away from the funeral.

This was because dad and him had never got on, and dad finally said he was no longer welcome at their home.

You might possibly have guessed that the real reason behind all this was money! My stepmom had previously owned a house that they (SIL and daughter) expected to inherit before dad came on the scene some 13 years ago.

I will always be grateful to stepmom for looking after my father as before he died he was suffering with vascular dementia, but they constantly rowed and she called him Satan!Eighteen months ago she walked out on him but returned after Dad had spent some time in a nursing home and stayed with him until 5 weeks ago when she left with her daughter to live at their house. Dad was left on his own with no means of contacting anyone only the police. He is nearly blind, could not remember our telephone numbers because of his dementia and social services had to put him in emergency care. Why my step mom and her family not tell us what they were going to do, why leave him in the house on his own?Since then he has gonedown hill so fast. My sisters and I found him a good EMI nursing home for the last three weeks of his life, but not once has my stepmom phoned or enquired or visited him....the care home is only five minutes from their home by car.

Am I being to judgemental in my grief?

All I want to do is attend my dads funeral without any arguments BUT I dont want the SIL there as to me that is being hypocritical. If stepmom wants support and wants her own family her daughter will be there and they could send a grandson or another member of the family Dad did not object to.

You would have thought that was enough to cope with? But my younger sister is going on holiday abroad and so the funeral will not take place until she returns some 12 days after his death. They want the coffin closed but I have still not seen my Dad but I think I should not be expected to see him some 12 days after his death.

So I have decided that tomorrow I shall travel to see my dad in the funeral home and say my good byes there. I feel as if I have let Dad down and my sisters have not considered the only wish I requested.

I shall not be attending the funeral, because there is no way I could stand in a house of God with all the bad feelings I have inside me. Better to say a quiet goodbye to Dad myself and let them get on with it. They are blaming me now because they say I caused a major family row, even though I was not there, just by trying to consider dads wishes.

I apologise for the vent but feel there is no where else I can turn.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
What an awful thing for you to deal with knowing that your dad had such an unsettled time over his last few weeks.

Your last goodbye to your dad should be a calm, sad and peaceful one and maybe avoiding the funeral is a good idea. Whatever happens, at least if you go and say goodbye to your dad now you can make your final decision regarding the funeral nearer the time.

Your head is clearly going around in circles with all this family conflict, but try and be kind to yourself now. Just think of your dad, that you loved him and his suffering is now over.

Take care

Sue xx

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I am so sorry to read that your dad has passed away. Please accept my condolences on your loss.

I do agree that you need to say goodbye to your dad in your own way, and perhaps quietly at the funeral home will give you that chance.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I am so sorry for your loss and for the enormous stress you are having to cope with.

I do believe that there are many beautiful ways of saying goodbye to our loved ones. My daughter didn't want to attend her genetic father's funeral but she did want to say goodbye so she came to stay with me and we did our own 'goodbye'. It was a very beautiful and powerful time for her. Some of her step family didn't understand but this was the only aspect of the whole thing that she could control. She did her thing, her way because it was important to her. We both believe it wasn't second best, it was THE BEST because it did truly represent how they lived their lives in the world!!

My sincere condolences.

Love

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
I am so sorry to hear that your dad has died. My sincere condolences.
It is very sad that you have so many family issues to deal with when you should be able to grieve for your dad. I hope that you able to say a quiet goodbye to your dad.

turbo

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I am so sorry to hear about your dad's death and what you are going through personally. One thing that shines out from your long post is how much you loved your dad. Hold on to that. I am sure your dad knew it too.
I think you are right in saying your goodbyes privately and trying to distance yourself from all the family bad feeling. None of this is your fault whatever any of them may say. I think it may come down to the old adage " the love of money is the root of all evil".
Is there a quiet place that holds special memories for you and your dad in the good times? If there is I would try to put yourself there, if not physically then mentally, at the time of his funeral and let the vultures get on with it. You do not need this stress.
with all good wishes
Tre

wdfortyplus

Feb 23, 2010
honesty and respect

Sorry you lost your dad. My condolences.

You are being honest about how you feel and giving respect to his last wish what your dad wanted. If others don't want to comply with that then let them live with it! Is not your fault for causing a family row....you simply relayed a message from your dad to the family.

As for 'money' aspect then....no money can buy back the good times, care, love and laughs you shared with your dad. But to some, money is what is more important - than the person - let them live with that!

But take comfort from knowing you done the right thing with your dad wishes. Some don't or can't carry forward a last wish and regret it.

You have been honest and respectful. No one can touch that.

TriciaD

Jan 9, 2012
So sorry to hear your sad news.
I said goodbye to my Dad similarly, and did not attend his funeral. At the time, feelings were running high and I feared there would be trouble. I don't regret not going, it was the best thing for my Dad at the time. Do whatever is best for you and have that private time to say goodbye to your Dad.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with family disagreements at a time when you just need to grieve and so sorry too that you have lost your father. Say goodbye to him in the way that means most to you - and would do to him.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are in this bad place at the moment and how unfair life can be. I can imagine that you might feel at a very low ebb at the moment, and that your family's voices sound strong. Hold on to the voice inside you that tells you the truth about how you stood up for what you know was right.

With warm regards

boonken

Oct 10, 2011
Just my opinion my Dad's funeral was 3rd February 2012.

****** the lot of them this is your Dad's day and you are entiteld to be there. Be there for him and also for yourself. You wont ever get a second chance x

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Sorry to hear about your Dad.

My only advice would be to think long and hard about not attending the funeral - you cannot have a repeat.

However if you feel for you own sake you wont attend then so be it. If you see your dad at the funeral home and say your goodbyes - in private - that will be worth any amount of agravation on the day.

Very best Wishes to you and take heart from the fact that your dad is now at peace xx

Ephraim

Feb 4, 2012
Belfast
I am truly saddened on reading your post this evening. Poor you. I am so sorry for you.

My Aunt recently passed away. I loved her dearly and as she lay in hospital in her last hours my stupid cousin sent out a list of invited guests to her passing. I was included bit decided not to go as there was obvious offence caused to people I love and respect, those who were not invited.
I did not attend the funeral. I stood outside the Church and said goodbye to my Aunt alone. To be honest it felt right and I have no regrets.
Saying goodbye to someone you love can be done anywhere, any time. It is a process which is between you and them and although they cannot answer, I believe that they can hear.
Look forward to a dream when you can communicate again. I believe this happens to us when someone we love leaves. One morning you will awake, having had the best, most reassuring dream of your life and you will be happy knowing they are settled in their new place.
Funerals and other people are not important.
Take care,
Ephraim

jussiejus

Feb 23, 2012
Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Hi, there are no words to say that can make this better, there is no wrong or right, you do what you want to do. You have been there for your Dad the whole time, not out of duty but out of the pure love you feel for him, which shines through and anyone who cannot see that is a fool.

I totally agree with wdfortyplus and also 150% with Ephraim, take comfort we are all with you.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jill edwards

Jan 7, 2012
So sorry

So sorry to hear your of your loss, it's my dad's funeral tomorrow. Your dad knows your situation and will not be judging you. You will say your goodbyes and know in your heart that he is at peace. Take care of yourself I hope your health issues gets sorted soon best wishes :)