My tired mum

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Am glad your Mum is comfty & peaceful & she enjoyed having you to visit her today

Sending much Love , Peace & Strength to you Pied in the days & weeks to come

Take Care

Love & BIG HUGS Love Grove x x x

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Dear Pied,

It's really good to hear from you again, I have been thinking of you & your Mum & wondering how you were both doing. Your Mum sounds very contented & peaceful Pied & you & her have such a strong bond which must be very comforting to you both. Finding that lump must have been a real worry for you, thank goodness you have had your mind put at rest on that.

Take care, thinking of you,

Love Dottie xx

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Dear Pied,

What a difficult time for you. My heart goes out to you, hard enough caring for your mum without your own health worries. I am sending you love and positivity.

Much love Bastan xxx

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hello Pied, Just wanted to add that I am also thinking of you and your Mum. It always makes me smile how your Mum responds to her treats of puddings and cakes. Nobody could do more than you are doing Pied. Your loving care for your Mum shines through and your Mum is aware of that too. Remember to take care of yourself xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Oh Sarah thanks. Little P has had a good weekend. The other girls spoke to her on Friday, and so she has been very happy. I, on the other hand, feel protective when I think of her going in to face them. She has decided not to move school, well, not for the time being, at least.
I'm supporting her in whatever she wants.
How are you, Sarah?
Thoughts and love, xxxx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Hi Pied,

Good to hear from you. Been worrying!

It does sound as though life has been pulling you in all directions again, and I know how tiring that can be. Like a previous member said...my heart also stopped for a second when I read about you finding a lump, so I am very relieved it appears to be nothing. Do look after yourself and try to rest, when you can.

Your mum sounds peaceful and, sometimes, that in itself is a blessing.

The breathing? I don't know. I had read all sorts, in "preparation" and it all seemed to confuse me. I think you'll know what it means when a combination of changes occur. My mum's sleepiness was the first sign of major change, as she slept for most of the day, but this actually went on for months and months.

When it came to "the time", it was all very rapid, and lots of things happened very suddenly. As you know, it started with the pressure sore being infected. Then the trouble swallowing, then the breathing. This was all in 10 days...

However, you also know that we suspected another possible unrelated illness, so everyone's path will differ.

Mum's breathing in her last 10 days was similar to what you describe, but the GP told me in wasn't Cheyne Stoking at first. We suspect she had a chest infection, although her lungs were clear...one of them had a blockage (hence the underlying illness?). In the last couple of days it was confirmed to be Cheyne Stoking, but she was practically unconscious. She had the pain relief patch, but I don't think that had anything to do with her breathing.

Occasionally, she would cough, and there was some phlegm in her throat but no "rattle" as I had read about. We had to make sure her mouth was kept clear of obstruction regularly. But her breathing scared me because she would breathe consistently and be in a deep sleep, then just stop. I would count and it was anywhere from 6-15 seconds. Then she'd exhale loudly and carry on. This went on and on and on for 10 days and towards the very end, the "holding of breath" (as I saw it) lasted a little longer.

The only noise she ever really made was the night before she died. It was like a little barking noise from her chest. My sister rang me from the NH at 10pm and let me listen to it over the phone. It's a noise I can hear to this day, and I don't think I will ever get it out of my head. Mum dies at 6.15am the following morning.

I would say that if the staff haven't jumped on this, then it shouldn't be too much of an immediate concern, but I really wouldn't know. From my own experience, it was that combination that I talked about at the start of this post. Combination of changes and combination of people: NH staff, GP, Skin Tissue Nurse, and me. Together we knew and they confirmed.

Did the staff say anything, or did you not get to ask if they'd noticed your mum's breathing pattern? I remember Sundays at mum's Nursing Home. I remember too well. Sometimes, very hard to find the right person, and often weekend staff who hadn't seen a change.

I do hope your mum stays comfortable for a long while yet. The serene smile and the "i love you", the gooseberry fool and the closeness you have. It's precious.

We're here if you need us, always, xxx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dearest Pied,

Thank you for a beautiful post.

Brian's breathing was exactly as you described (with a break of anything up to forty seconds) for the last ten years or more of his life - intermittently - but became even more marked during his final year.

I am glad your dear mum is so very peaceful and pain-free. And your visits are clearly a delight for her.

Good news on your latest check-up (although my heart was in my mouth as I read down your post). Do continue to take very good care of yourself.

Sending love,
Nan XXX

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Thinking of you and your mum pied mums breathing was very fast everyone is different I think telling her she can do what ever she wants is good mum asked me to let her go she said it was the right time I told her I loved her and to give my love to dad she died in her sleep that night but I still told her off when it happened:eek: take care of yourself love larivy

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks Larivy and everyone. Mum is euphoric again today, eating chocolate buttons - she managed 5 - and telling me my hair is so pretty!
She told me to look after myself.
I asked the nurse about her breathing and she said she'd have a look at her later.
Mum said she is very comfy and all her carers are wonderful. "not one nasty one," she said. For those of you who have followed me moving mum three times to find a good home, I'm over the moon at that xxxx
Love,

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Pied, that must have made you feel good. What a lovely thing to say.Your Mum does seem to be in a calm and pleasant place right now. I am so relieved for you both. Even if the painkillers are partly responsible, it is still reassuring, isn't it. Lots of love X

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Pied,

First of all I was so relieved to read that the lump was just a scare:eek::) My heart was in my mouth.

It is wonderful that your mum is being cared for in a place where she feels safe from the staff. I loved the way she said there wasn't a nasy one among them. May she remain pain free and wishing you some lovely moments.

Love

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , As Izzy said its Great News that your Mum is Happy :) with the Care Staff ! & you have done well Pied in finding a lovely Caring Home for your Mum

Best Wishes to you & your Mum

Love Grove x x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It looks like a corner has been turned Pied for you, your mum and your daughter.
Long may it last. x

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Hello Pied,
I'm so happy tonight for you Pied.
I'm a bit of a nervous wreck through serious health probs and re-scares and everything that goes wrong seems to be yet another potential downturn/tragedy. I understand the gravity of your concerns and hope that your mum remains completely free from pain - it's lovely that she gains such comfort from you AND that she is aware of the home and it's quality of care - all thanks to you.

xxx