Mum unsteady on her feet

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Have tried to keep mum active by walking regularly. However, for the last month, the 800 yard post office walk has left my nerves jangling like mad. She shuffles her feet instead of lifting them. Any slight defect in the path and she finds EVERY ONE ! She has not fallen yet but the only way I can describe a walk is 2 steps forward, one step shuffle.

My hubby has suggested that he wants to take mum away on a holiday for a few days. I have point blank refused because I feel she is no longer fit to walk and it is only a matter of time before she has a fall.

QUESTIONS

1. Is the feet shuffle anything to do with alzheimers ?

2. Should I continue the walk to the PO till she falls ?

3. Is there anything I can take for my nerves before a walk that has a calming effect ?

4. Should I take mum on holiday ?

All STRAIGHT TALKING, HONEST AND HUMOUROUS answers gratefully received.

P.S. The answer to question 3 should be tea ! Or is it gin. You will hopefully know what I mean from the tv advert.

fiitay

Oct 25, 2011
Staffordshire
Hi Hollycat,

Mum is 75 and diagnosed with AZ and VaD last year. She has bad knees but also has started to shuffles it drives me mad lol.
She still goes walking 'round the block to get some air' and has fallen once, when a kindly person took her home.
When she is with me or Dad we nag her to pick her feet up and she does for a while and then forgets.
I'm not sure what the answer is but just wanted to let you know you're not on your own. Hopefully someone will be along with some advice soon.

Fi xx

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
'Foot drop' and resultant shuffling/stumbling in people with dementia happens as a result of progressive brain/nerve damage. It is possible that a walking aid could be used, or that some exercises could strengthen her muscles. This won't get rid of the problem but just might keep her mobile for a while longer. Ask her GP for a referral to a physio for exercises (only of any use if someone without dementia can supervise her doing them), and also to an Occupational Therapist to assess safety in the home with regard to reduced mobility and risk of falls.

SuziQ

Sep 26, 2011
Berkshire
Hi Hollycat,

ANSWERS

1. Yes

2. Probably not

3. Both drinks advisable

4. Rock climbing NOT recommended

Seriously, I know how frustrating the shuffle can be, my FIL had Altzheimers and walked as if he was wearing skis, if you can picture that!! Every time we used to remind him to pick his feet up he would do it for a couple of steps and then the shuffle would start again!!
What is your hubby suggesting as a holiday? Could mum use a walking aid to help or is that out of the question?
I just think if you are concerned about her falling you will spend the whole holiday waiting for it to happen, not really restful for anyone........x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
You might find it is the start of something called parkinson's gait. Where they predominantly shuffle their feet rather than take distinctive steps. My mother has acquired this gait now and it has caused a number of issues particularly with shoes or slippers with rubber soles on them which don't slide. In her home for example they have taken the slippers off her because her feet got stuck, just as you describe. She now wears socks which slide along the carpet and don't then trip her up. The other thing to be careful of is places where there are rugs because they don't tend to lift their feet on to them either. When she was going outside she got on better with shoes that had smooth soles on them, but like you say, she could have got a job for the council finding loose flagstones !

What we did when we took my mother away was to hire a wheelchair for when out and about in the streets, where it was smooth like in a supermarket then we got her up and walking for a while. It doesn't have to be a premanent thing, but could help avoid the risk of falls if you do decide to go away on holiday for a few days.

Fiona

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Oh indeed I know the shuffle so well. Next stage is the leaning to one side shuffle which quickly leads to the leaning to one side, feeling sick, falling over shuffle.

The OTs gave mum a Walking Frame to help with her balance, but she found it a pain "carrying" it everywhere :rolleyes: . We then got her a stick, which also gets carried but seems to make her feel safe (it has even been known to touch the ground on odd occasions).

The risk of falling was such that we did get mum a wheelchair as the distances she could shuffle decreased before she would fall. I would be tempted to try her with a one of those three wheeled walkers, as it would be a pity if she stopped her exercise.

For a holiday I think taking a wheelchair would be good for all of you. Also try and get her a blue badge, emphasising that she can only walk a few metres without falling, that she needs a wheelchair and that without disabled access her life would be very restricted.

Better take tea for your nerves, as being drunk in charge of a wobbly mum on a highway is probably an offense :D

willingdonkey

Dec 10, 2011
hi hollycat

hollycat;5We57611 said:
Have tried to keep mum active by walking regularly. However, for the last month, the 800 yard post office walk has left my nerves jangling like mad. She shuffles her feet instead of lifting them. Any slight defect in the path and she finds EVERY ONE ! She has not fallen yet but the only way I can describe a walk is 2 steps forward, one step shuffle.

My hubby has suggested that he wants to take mum away on a holiday for a few days. I have point blank refused because I feel she is no longer fit to walk and it is only a matter of time before she has a fall.

QUESTIONS

3. Is there anything I can take for my nerves before a walk that has a calming effect ?

P.S. The answer to question 3 should be tea ! Or is it gin. You will hopefully know what I mean from the tv advert.

we too try to keep mam active by regular walking and although she protests, we find it greatly improves her mood. I would have her eyes checked for cataracts, mams confidence took a massive dip when out walking and we really struggled until we realised she had cataracts. she has since had removed and is walking much better. You could also ask docs to do blood test mam was suffering from polymialgia, which was causing her great pain in her legs and arms but we just put it down to general wear and tear as she in her 80 s, she now on steroids and practically improved over night, hope this helps. x

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
My mother did/has 'The Shuffle' but now has a 4 wheeled walker (with a seat in case she needs to sit down & there is also a small shopping basket but she does not need it as I do all her shopping) which I bought from Halfords (around £50). The cost was worth every penny as she took to it like a duck to water. She herself feels more confident when walking and she does not have to walk holding onto walls etc. She navigates it very well around her flat too (she does not live in a large property)

She was given one when in hospital which had 2 wheels and you had to place it or drag it but I felt it was useless for someone with AD. The above is great so give it some thought. I may take a little perseverence as not all take to it like my mum.

We also have a wheelchair for any long distances.

The change of scenery may do her good but may also make her confused as dementia suffers are creatures of habit but you will already know if she gets confused outside of her own environment.

The other thing I would mention is her eyesight - has she had a recent eyetest? My mothers problems are compounded due to Macular Degeneration and her lack of vision. There must be nothing worse than trying to get along and looking at the world through a fuzz.

Best Wishes & for the record I would go with a glass of wine every time!! ;)

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
My dad shuffles now too and he sort of leans forward with head slightly lowered as he walks. He also always has to hold on either to the handrails or someones hand. He has had some really bad falls, once he fell through a glass partition in the lounge and as luck would have it only had some small cuts to the top of his head. His fall must have gathered mometum and pushed with such a force because the glass was reinforced safety glass which shattered.

sad girl

Feb 16, 2012
Oh heck - just been reading the above and my mum has been shuffling for years which drives me mad. I keep telling her to pick her feet up!! I had no idea it was connected with Dementia/Alzheimers! Her living room carpet has gone slightly wavy as a result of the shuffle. Her posture has also gone from being very straight to being slightly bent over. She has a frame but will she use it....NO! She went through a stage months ago of walking like a baby with her two arms out but thankfully this has stopped. I cannot get her out for short walks anymore as she has lost her confidence "in case she falls". I have got her everything she needs, wheelchair, 3-wheel stroller, walking stick, zimmer...........she prefers to struggle.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
My mum had this - she had Parkinson's - and it really wasn't something she could change despite physio "training" about lifting feet and striking with her heel first on each step. It only got worse.

The wheeled walker gets my vote - and improved mum's walking because it kept going when the PD influence stopped her walking flowing (tiny steps/freezing). It also gave her confidence because she felt very unsteady (neurological) and it stopped her feeling of being about to topple over at any moment without support. Be under no illusions how scary that feels to the person; the natural response is to stop walking rather than risk that feeling constantly.

The walking frame is not good because by its nature it is a stop/start motion - and lifting each time to make the next step adds to the problems.

OT may loan you one; you can buy them v cheaply on that online auction site if someone near you is getting rid of one at the right time; or they are not too pricey from mobility aid suppliers.

Nannybus

Dec 21, 2010
I tried hard to get mum to walk with a wheely walker. We used to go out on practice runs, but always seemed to end up smack into my neighbours' wall. The route to the wall was very tricky, but mum seemed to prefer it to walking on the smooth pavement. Trying to guide her was impossible, as I was dragged along to whatever outcome was inevitable.

Inside the house, I would leave the walker next to her, so that she had something to hold onto to stand up, but she would get up completely unaided and 'tidy' the walker away into some corner of the room completely out of her reach and then walk unaided back to her chair. The next time she wanted to stand and walk, we were back to her needing a great deal of assistance, so her coping with walking in order to 'tidy' was amazing.

wdfortyplus

Feb 23, 2010
....toddles.....

QUESTIONS

Hiya Hollycat!

I know what you are going through.....my mum is on a 4 wheel walker but won't use it in house. When she is inhouse she toddles (walks arms outstretched and wobbles unsteadily) from living room to kitchen...to toilet to bedroom...mostly due to forgetting she needs to use her stick. But the worry is 'falling'. When outside is more worry because she 'lifts' her walker up the kerb instead of tilting it. Tried showing her the easy way of 'toe against wheel' and tilt up the kerb; doesn't remember how to so 'rams the kerb' with walker. Is worrying but can only continue to care and explain numerous times.

Walking is good....but depends on how your mum feels; too much; too little; I know my mum found it hard going to the post office...standing...and now even short distances. Is why changed her from a three wheeler walker to a 4 wheeler with a seat on it. Helps but only when she uses it. I do encourage her to walk (up and down corridor) of her landing in sheltered housing...should she not go outdoors. But mum thinks she doesn't need to exercise. Stubborness is another problem.

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Hi, Fiitay, Katrine, SuziQ, Fifimo, Sussexsue, Willingdonkey, SWMBO1950, Chucky, Sadgirl, Nicoise, Nannybus, Wdfortyplus

AS USUAL, many many thanks for your replies; a massive help. Special thanks for your humour; it is just my way of coping ! If I didn't laugh, I would cry.

FRIENDS........thank you x x x

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Yes Hollycat is is the shared experiences and the laughing that keeps us sane :D:p:D

Hi, Fiitay, Katrine, SuziQ, Fifimo, Sussexsue, Willingdonkey, SWMBO1950, Chucky, Sadgirl, Nicoise, Nannybus, Wdfortyplus

AS USUAL, many many thanks for your replies; a massive help. Special thanks for your humour; it is just my way of coping ! If I didn't laugh, I would cry.

FRIENDS........thank you x x x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet