Incontinence pads or pants?!!!

Busybee67

May 5, 2011
Cambridgeshire
Hi Everyone.

Mum has over the last couple of days had a few wet accidents. Dad has rang me today a bit upset as this has not happened before. She seems to know she needs the toilet but can not seem to get there fast enough or she is leaving it too late. I have mentioned she might have a water infection and that is being checked tomorrow at the doctors. However, Mum does have quite severe dementia now so this is inevitable that this stage will come and i have tried to explain to Dad that this will happen eventually. Hopefully she just has a water infection and be ok after some pills but I think i need to start and be prepared in case this is not so. I must admit this has hit me quite hard today as it is another horrendous thing my poor mum has to deal with!

I have been looking in the internet for incontinence pads and are not sure what to get the pads or pants. Any advise would be great as i really have no idea what to get or where to look.

Thanks
xx

Last edited:

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Busybee67 - I'd vote for pants everytime. The loo got blocked with pads when I tried that with Mum. At that time she was still able to use the loo on her own - and MIL was the same - and she used to dry her face/hands on her pads. (Apologies to those of a sensitive nature). You should be able to get a referral to the "Continence Service" and that way, you should get the pants on prescription free. (CS in our area is accessed via the District Nurses). CS tries not to prescribe pants - you'll probably have to push for it, if you think they would be better. I bought Incontinence Pants for ages before realising I could get them free - and you need to try because the cost of IPs is huge otherwise. (Although I do get birthday greetings from suppliers as a frequent user of their product!)

Continence Service - more silly PC-ness. Who'd need the service if you were continent?! (Iona, take note for your list!)

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Hi busybee, you should be able to get pads on prescription from the doctor. Usually the district nurse will visit, they do an assessment to see how many she would need and the level of incontinence. In Scotland the pads are free but pants are not, you have to pay for them. If shes not too bad you can also buy tena lady underwear, most chemists and supermarkets sell them. My dad has pads which he hates and will at any given time pull them off and throw them at whoever happens to unlucky enough to be in the firing line. He also still has the urge to go, he recognises that he needs the toilet but unfortunately he does it wherever he happens to be, never usually in the toilet. I tried the pants with dad but he got so confused by them he would put up a tremendous fight if you tried to put them on him. It may well be because of an infection and the doc will be able to rule that out, ask for an assessment anyway it wont do any harm if its been a one off.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I use pads within pants that have pockets for the pad, and am very pleased with them. I finally got them through the continence clinic . they are delivered to the door.

I pull out the pad and wash the pants.

My problem is at night my husband also is aware that he should go but sometimes doesn't make it. He allso has a disability and getting out of bed at night would be hard for him, so he y=uses a bottle and empties it into a bucket by the side of the bed.

I can't put the pants on him then as he is lying down when he wants to use the bottle and would not be able to manage it.

So he has nothing except pyjamas at night. Sadly he always wets the bed so I have daily washing. I have half sheets etc but he wets upwards so wets the duvet cover. I have protection on the duvet, but it is still a pain having to change the duvet cover every day.

Does any one have any ideas how I can get round this.

I do think we are getting close to pads in the pants at night too.

I did try the pad on the pyjamas but as he has pyjamas with flies ( will not use any other) it just did not work.

Jeannette

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
At that time she was still able to use the loo on her own - and MIL was the same - and she used to dry her face/hands on her pads. (Apologies to those of a sensitive nature).

Thank you for making me laugh!! I know it's not a funny subject, but the pictures in my head of someone using an incontinence pad to dry on - was just so funny!!
Jan x

Mind, I don't like the idea of being in the line of fire of Chucky's Dad!!

Last edited:

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
I'm having the same problem with my husband and after an infection being ruled out have bought pads and pants.

We had no luck with the pads - they keep moving out of place but the pants are good. Only problem is that my husband doesn't like wearing them.

Have been to see the GP and am waiting for a visit from the District Nurses.

Thank you for the advice about having to push for the pants from the District Nurses, Haylett, I hope they will be free as it could prove to be costly.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
We like Depends pull up pants from Boots (can be bought online too) as pads sometimes move about but it all depends on how much absorbency you require. A lot of the websites selling continence products also have advice lines you can ring before purchasing. Good luck.

Busybee67

May 5, 2011
Cambridgeshire
Thanks everyone for your replies. I do think the pants with the pads already in do sound better. (My memories of nappies for my kids maybe helped me with that decision.)

I have been this evening to buy some from the Supermarket so will give them a try. Unfortunately Mum has had another accident tonight and then refused to change into dry clothes and then became very angry with my Dad. I am hoping and praying it is a water infection and it is not the beginning of a very difficult phase!:(

Thanks again
Busybee xxx

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Thank you for making me laugh!! I know it's not a funny subject, but the pictures in my head of someone using an incontinence pad to dry on - was just so funny!!
Jan x

Mind, I don't like the idea of being in the line of fire of Chucky's Dad!!

Jan.S - the best time was when we took her to the theatre with our children. She sneezed and whipped out a pad from her sleeve - (well, not so much "whipped" - more a prolonged kind of rootling) - on which to blow her nose. The boys thought that was hysterical. We were just glad the lights were down....

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Oh Haylett, thank you for sharing that - A good job I wasn't sitting nearby, otherwise I would have burst out laughing!!

That is just my kind of humour! I can't stop laughing at it. Brilliant.

Jan x

PurpleJay

Nov 2, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi

Mum wore tena mini in the day and tena night time pads at night for a long time when she only had stress incontinence in the day and occasional problems at night.

As her incontinence worsened she wore tena lady normal in the day and we eventually moved onto the tena pull up pants for night time as they were the only thing which would keep her clothes dry.

We did have her assessed by the continence nurse a couple of times at home and pads were delivered but she didn't get on with them, they were bulky and had no sticky back. The night time ones she found would move as she moved about in bed and invariably leaked. We gave up and went back to buying them.

In the home she wears the NHS ones. She needs a full pad now all the time and they are easier than the pants if someone is wearing trousers for example and needs to change or if the person needs help with toileting as mum does. She is now oblivious to what she is wearing anyway and has never once complained about them.

Basically a lot is personal choice and convenience. If something leaks try something else, if you can get on with the free ones great. The pants are a bit pricey but comfort is important. We couldn't get them on the NHS round here but I would be more persistent now I know they are provided in some areas. If you are buying supermarkets and chemists sell them. Some supermarkets do there own brand which are a bit cheaper and worth a try.

Jane x

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Night Sheath

I use pads within pants that have pockets for the pad, and am very pleased with them. I finally got them through the continence clinic . they are delivered to the door.

I pull out the pad and wash the pants.

My problem is at night my husband also is aware that he should go but sometimes doesn't make it. He allso has a disability and getting out of bed at night would be hard for him, so he y=uses a bottle and empties it into a bucket by the side of the bed.

I can't put the pants on him then as he is lying down when he wants to use the bottle and would not be able to manage it.

So he has nothing except pyjamas at night. Sadly he always wets the bed so I have daily washing. I have half sheets etc but he wets upwards so wets the duvet cover. I have protection on the duvet, but it is still a pain having to change the duvet cover every day.

Does any one have any ideas how I can get round this.

I do think we are getting close to pads in the pants at night too.

I did try the pad on the pyjamas but as he has pyjamas with flies ( will not use any other) it just did not work.

Jeannette

How about using a night sheath with a night bag attached. It is like a catheter but attached like a condom. You take if off each morning with a little soap and water. They are easy to put on if your husband will let you and saves all the wet clothes and your husband being uncomfortable. I have used them for 5 years and swear by them.
You get them on prescription and can even get cavilon, which is a type of barrier which help the sheath (convene) staying on safely. Good luck if you decide to try I think you will agree it works. x

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan