How do you cope with a grade 4 pressure sore?

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks ! :)

That's a good saying, will have to remember that one! Yes I think I will.
Little P has come in and says she had a good time at Drama Club, she has some lines to learn. She says everyone was friendly. Fingers crossed! xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Pied. I'm sorry I've just caught up with this thread.

I was thinking about Little P. I think you said your husband was going in to the school and he may already have done this by now. I thought it might help if you both had an interview with the head together. It's good even if one parent is able to listen while the other does the talking. I would certainly ask for the meeting to be minuted and for you to get a copy of the minutes - these should note agreed action to support Little P. I would certainly have expected the parents of the other pupils to have been contacted by the head by now and some feedback given to you regarding the outcome of these discussions. Does the local education authority had a support service for pupils and families? I know that in Scotland this is not the case in every authority but we have an excellent School and Family Support Service here. The SFSS worker comes into school and works with children who are facing problems and tries to help them with strategies to cope. She can also work with the children causing the problem - with their parents' consent. As well as suggesting strategies for the school to try she reports back directly to parents and is a very good go-between. This

It must be really hard for you to deal with this while you have so many other things to deal with. I hope the drama group will help Little P build up her self esteem and help her to work through some of her anxieties as well. Thinking of you. x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Glad you had a break from visiting today, Pied, and that Little Pied enjoyed the drama Club. As you didn't want the custard tarts I've eaten them myself. Hope everyone is warm and safe up there this bitterly cold evening. x

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Dear Pied,

You are so right, sometimes things just pile on & we know we just have to call "time out" for a while in order to gather our strength again. I am so glad you had a day off today from visiting your Mum & I hope you have been able to recharge a little? Little Pied's drama club sounds great & she sounds much happier tonight.

Sleep well Pied, thinking of you & sending love & hugs,

Dottie xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Pied, hi
So sorry I haven't been around for you, I have been thinking of you and sending love and support but never wrote it down, how selfish and sorry I am.

Life, eh! Hope you have a good night and wake up rested and tomorrow is a brighter day for all the Pieds.
With kindest regards from Jo

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
How Is Little P ?

Hello Pied , Just a quick Post to ask about Little P & woke up today thinking about her today & how she is coping with the Bullies etc . Do hope things are starting to improve for her at School & she has a Mentor etc to help her

Do hope you are feeling a bit better as well Pied

With much Love , Peace & Comfort to you & Little P for the days to come

Take Care

Love & Hugs for Little P & Mummy Pied also

Love Grove x x x x

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Pied, hi
Just a thought, could you ask someone from Macmillan Cancer Care to visit little Pied's school and give a talk on young carers and how great it is when their piers support them at worrying times, or at least don't bully them when they are vulnerable, they'll know how to put it, if not Macmillan then maybe The Princess Trust for Carers, or if you want to go another way then an Alzheimer's Society rep. to talk about young family carers, unfortunately they would all fit with the life experiences that the junior Pieds had been living with and will continue to. You could always suggest it to the school, teachers, whoever you or hubby are meeting with.

Hope you are having an OK day and slept last night.
With kind regards from Jo

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Hi Pied

Just popping in to let you know I'm still thinking of you, and sending you the strength to deal with all you have to deal with.

I'll check back later to see if there's any news xxxx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks Grove, Ellejay, Sallyc. Selfish, you Jo, no, never... how could you say that... you are so thoughtful!

Thanks everyone. I feel quite fragile today. I worked till 5 pm tonight so maybe that is why.

I've decided to take Deborah's advice and visit Mum a little less often til I feel a bit stronger again.

I have done everything I can to make sure Mum is pain free. The GP came out Tuesday and so did the tissue nurse. Just to update. Mum's infection has spread and above the sore is a red and hot patch. She has finished her first course of antibiotics and is now on a huge dose of stronger antibiotics, two different sorts, which the nurse says will really zap the infection. She says they will probably work and let's not be pessimistic about it. I said if they don't work we won't be going to hospital will we and she said well, mum could have IV antibiotics in hospital. I said I hoped it wouldn't come to that and she said the same.

I suppose I won't have any say, will I, if they decide on hospital? I am really unhappy about that. No disrespect to our local hospital but she won't be fed there. And she will loathe the journey.

I am feeling a bit numb now. This is not good news is it, about the infection I mean? Surely being on three lots of antibiotics, big doses, will make Mum feel ill.

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.

The curate from Mum's church visited today, I haven't managed to speak with her, but she is a lovely lady, also a BC survivor, she said Mum was "pretty bright".

Is Mum bright for everyone but me?!!? Does she just want sympathy when I go? (Well that is understandable).

What next? Any hugs would be gratefully received. I don't feel very resilient just now. xxxx

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
((hug))

I'm sure there will be lots of hugs on their way for you Pied.

It's no wonder you are feeling fragile. You have so many things to contend with & I know from bitter experience how worrying it is to have a mum fighting infection.

I know it's difficult not to think "What if.." but your mum is being well looked after & they have her best interests at heart. Give the antibiotics a chance to do their job.

You must look after yourself first & foremost.

Much love
Mo
x

p.s How's little pied today?

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I would say no Kassy, I would, does that sound awful?

First, the lift in the home does not take stretchers, only wheelchairs. Mum hasn't been in a chair for months.

Second, she wouldn't be cared for at hospital anything like as well as she is at the home.

Third, what would it achieve? It won't heal her sore, and they won't be grafting I wouldn't have thought.

Fourth, she'd be sick. She is always sick when we move her.

So all it would do is put Mum through more.

I'm jumping the gun. One day at a time.

I did fill in Mum's preferred priorities for care.

Hi Mo, Little Pied seems a bit happier. Hubby left the letter I wrote in his car. But Little P moved tables and is now sitting by some people she really likes, so that is great news. Hope it lasts!! Bless you for asking. xx

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Here's a big virtual hug, Pied. I'm sorry you are feeling so wretched but it's very understandable, you have such a lot going on at present. Your poor Mum, I feel so sorry for her, and for you too, having the worry and seeing her in such pain. I do hope these antibiotics work. She really won't want to go to hospital will she.

I think you're probably right about the sympathy. I'm always surprised by how Dave can still put on a different manner for others than for me.It shows your mum is comfortable with you and can be her natural self - maybe?

Sorry you had to work late, be careful not to overdo things. Love and sympathy XXX

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi Pied,
'course it doesn't sound awful. In your position I would choose pain relief & comfort first. Knowing how stressful being moved would be for your mum, I'd say no to hospital. Anyway,with luck the double whammy antibiotics will help.

Wishing you strength & sending hugs,

Lin x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
So Sorry Pied

Hello Pied , Just "Catching up " after being at Brownies , am so sorry its bad News on the Bed Sore :( Pied but as another T P 'er said let the A B''s ( Meds ) work first before any thing else Pied & T P Vibes that they work well

Lots & Lots of BIG HUGS Pied & much Love , Peace & Comfort for the days & weeks to come

Take Care & thinking of you & your Mum at this hard time for both of you

Much Love & Hugs Love Grove x x x x