Vigil for my mother day 12

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
Wed 8th last time any food or drink
Thrs 9th taken to hospital for tests to see if mums screams to eliminate any physical reasons for her screams. Tests and ex-rays all clear. Mum returns home.
Friday 10th start morphene patches
Monday 13th GP asks if everyone that needs to say goodbye has been advised
Tues 14th mum's brother, her son and daughter in law come from Italy to say last goodbyes
Tues 14th priest says Last Rites
Wed 15th syringe driver with evermore meds to keep mum coomfortable

It is now sunday morning, yet another sleepless night. Mum is peaceful but I can't sleep what if she's passed away.

I checked on her at 1.00 am went to bed awake again at 3 am dreading going to her room, thinking that she must have passed away by now. I put all the lights on I stand at the door and whatch. It takes a few seconds for me to be sure her breathing is slow and shallow.

Mum turned 90 on 8th January with a strong physical body which has been lying in bed for 3 1/3 years due to the dementia.

Mum has defied all logic throughout this long journey and so she is doing it again at the end....

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Like yourself, I am awake and wondering if my Mum will fade away this day.

Mum is in hospital and I know I will be informed of any critical change.

It is important to keep up our strength and with that I am going to try and catch some sleep.

I hope you can too.

Hazel

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Having gone through this with my own mum 6 months ago I know how you must be feeling. Thinking of you both. x

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
Dear Candy and Hazel

My thoughts are with you both, having gone through this only 4 weeks ago, the memory of it is still very vivid. Sending you love and a big hug.

Coletta xx

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
14 days without food and drink

the past 14 days have been torture. everytime I go into her room I'm going in to check to see if she has passed away.

She is now just skin and bones, why are we all being put thru this torture...

Mum moved in with my family onthe 1st January 2006, i've looked after her for 6 yeas and 24 days, why couldn't the end have been easier for all of us?

What saddens me more is that instead of being sad at my mothers passing it will just be a big relief for all of us.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I'm so sorry Candy. The matron told me today sometimes people pass quickly, and sometimes it takes more time. You must feel tired. Thinking of you x hope you manage to rest, even if sleep won't come xx

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Candy,

Your poor Mum, and poor you.

Isn't the human body incredible at times? To be so strong physically after so long - I suspect in part that is testament to your care.

I wonder if you are keeping your emotions reined in during this long vigil in order to cope; yes there will be relief that this part is over, and you will be able to feel again.

wishing you strength and some sleep tonight x

Doe

Mar 26, 2007
London
Thinking about you Candy. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, especially at this very difficult time, on my thread re Social Services. I had no idea this type of help was available so that information is extremely useful to me. Thanks once again and lots of love to you and your Mum. Doe

GZN

Nov 2, 2011
My heart goes out to you at this terrible time. I hope the suffering ends soon for all of you. What fantastic service you have given to your mother.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
I know how hard it is, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Her time will come soon and she will be in peace, as will you and your family. There will be a feeling of numbness for a while as you get used to the change in pace.

I'm thinking of you, and hoping your mum is comfortable and will sleep soon, xxx

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
The long goodbye

I know how it is, day after night after day after night.... my dad lay in bed for what seemed like forever, slowly slowly slowly fading. It was not what he wanted and all we could do was be there. Dear Candy, I hope your mum will soon be at peace.
xxx

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Candy,
My heart goes out to you and your dear mum. It is all so difficult at this time. My mum died 05 Feb 2011 and it amazed me how long she hung on with virtually nothing to eat or drink. I helped wash her just a couple of days before she died and she was so thin, just like your mum I imagine.
Love to you both Tre

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Candy , Am so sorry to read about your Mum & it must be so , so , hard for you . Wishing you & your Mum much Love , Peace & Comfort in the days to come

Love & Hugs

Love Grove x x