HEARING - what is the problem

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Hubby and I live with mum as her carer.

Forgive my language....but all her life my mum can hear an ant fart from 2 miles away !

BUT she formed the habit of saying "eh, eh, what" about 50 years ago (pre alzheimers). The habit drove everybody mad, as if you didn't reply to her, she would wait about 30 seconds and then reply to you.

So, hubby and I have NEVER responded to "eh" and mum has always replied.

HOWEVER, in the last week or so, it appears that she may actually have hearing problems (eg television is louder).

QUESTION anyone got any experience of hearing issues, alzheimers related or not.

One side of me wants to take her for a test but the other side thinks she has enough on her plate to deal with so why worry her ?

Help ?
Tks

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
I would definitely get her ears checked - may be something as simply as wax build up and thus easily treated.

However if it does turn out to be reduced hearing from some other cause I wouldnt waste your time with hearing aids - tried them with mum and she couldn't cope with the sound and kept bringing them to me saying "I just found these in my ears".

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Hollycat, my FIL did have his ears tested and was given a hearing aid. We had to return several times as FIL was fascinated by it at first and pressed the buttons etc. After a few visits to the clinic, the audiologist fixed the hearing aid so that it could not be tampered with, and it really did make a difference. The audiologistic was very understanding and sympathetic.

I would say give it a try :)

Good luck x

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
If this hearing loss has happened suddenly it is probably caused by wax. Last year I went to the GP because I lost most of my hearing following an air flight - when my ears 'popped' they just wouldn't pop back again. He said there was some wax in my ears but not very much and recommended using warmed olive oil as ear drops twice a day.

It is tricky to administer these to yourself (what do you use, a spoon? :confused:) I managed to find a small, clean and unused needle-less syringe that had been given me for cat medicine, and this worked well. If you are helping someone else with the drops it is much easier, though still a bit messy.

Suffice it to say that over the following few weeks my ears produced a very large amount of softened wax. Don't know why the doctor couldn't see it, perhaps ears have a U-bend? :rolleyes: Anyway, long story short, it was these hardened plates of wax and skin that were preventing my eardrums from flexing. Once the wax had gone they 'popped' back to normal and I have had no further trouble.

Definitely get mum's ears checked out - the solution could be very simple. BTW my mum did get hearing aids off the NHS but wasn't able to get much benefit from them and I returned them. Unfortunately hearing aids cannot help someone with dementia to understand more clearly. I think that now my mum prefers to be a bit deaf because then she can tune us all out more easily. :rolleyes:

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
If this hearing loss has happened suddenly it is probably caused by wax. Last year I went to the GP because I lost most of my hearing following an air flight - when my ears 'popped' they just wouldn't pop back again. He said there was some wax in my ears but not very much and recommended using warmed olive oil as ear drops twice a day.

It is tricky to administer these to yourself (what do you use, a spoon? :confused:) I managed to find a small, clean and unused needle-less syringe that had been given me for cat medicine, and this worked well. If you are helping someone else with the drops it is much easier, though still a bit messy.

Try using Earol - it is a spray olive oil and gets right where it is needed with out any mess. Worked miracles on MIL when she came to stay.

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
yes i have wondered this too? my mum was very nosey and heard everything now she has Alzheimers she speaks very low and i feel as though i have the hearing problem! but jocking apart she really cant hear me i have had her ears checked for wax which is sometimes a problem in old age., but they are fine so yes i do think somehow it's related even though the doctors prob won't hear of it ;)

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I have to admit that my mum, also a former expert on ant flatulence, would be much harder to manage if her level of hearing were as acute as it used to be. She startles easily, which I believe is a feature of dementia. We had to change the doorbells and telephones to have nice gentle tones because their previous alerts had her on the ceiling with fear and anxiety. I think her partial deafness is a blessing. My daughter says I have the nose of a bloodhound and the ears of a bat, but I am confident that in time this will fade and I can let the world pass me by if I so wish. :rolleyes:

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Thanks everybody.

A wonderful mix of ideas, opinions, fact, humour etc.

I am learning very quickly that on TP expect nothing more and nothing less.

You have all, as usual, been brilliant.

Many many thanks again.

P.S. whilst she now can't hear an ant fart at 2 miles away, I am sure if the ant was saying "anybody like a cadbury's cream egg" .....well that's different !

P.P.S. for any readers reading this post, yes, we have been discussing dementia issues and not the biological functions of ants ! !

P.P.P.S although some days, I feel like discussing the biological functions of ants.

Nite nite, I am off to find the plot, I lost it somewhere earlier

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
This is an important point we should always remember. Even with my mother's excellent hearing, she wasn't responding because although she heard what I said, she could not process it.

very true. When I talk to mum she never "hears" what I say and I have to repeat everything. However if I then shout she gets really sour and says "yes I heard what you said" - classic dementia no-win situation.

I was also told that dementia sufferers are only aware of things directly in front of them, and this appears to be totally true with my mum and she will jump if we walk behind her and suddenly appear. If I talk behind her she has absolutely no idea of my presence.

My inlaws who also seem to have hearing problems always have subtitles on the TV. Tried this with mum and she seemed far more interested in TV programmes than before.

I am hearing impaired (deaf, hard of hearing, whatever you will) from childhood. I'd like to offer some explanations and suggestions. Forgive the numbering - it's easier for me to think of a lot of information this way.

1. Learning to compensate for hearing loss by lipreading and observing facial expressions and body language is like any skill, it can be a lot harder if you're not a child, and even harder if you've got any condition (such as dementia) that impairs your ability to learn new skills. Even if you are a very accomplished lipreader, you will probably be able to read less than 50% of the words said and less if they're out of context.

2. When someone loses hearing with age, it is often because the little hairs (called cilia) in their inner ears break off. These cannot be replaced and even if you increase volume (e.g. turning the television up, shouting, hearing aids), you may not increase clarity as much as you'd like.

3. English is a language that relies heavily on its consonants for understanding. (Try writing a couple of sentences with just the consonants and the same with just the vowels. Then get someone to read them. The odds are they'll understand the former not the latter.) However, consonants tend to be higher pitched and it is the higher pitched sounds that typically go most with age-related loss.

4. However, conditions such as glue ear (from infections) may affect lower pitch hearing more and so the balance between what people hear may be different. The difference can help you to tell the cause of the hearing loss.

5. People with sensineural loss (nerve damage) typically speak louder and people with conductive loss (something wrong with the bones or eardrum) typically speak quieter. Again whether someone speaks louder or quieter can give you a clue to the type of hearing loss.

6. You may have heard the stereotypical conversation that goes like this..."speak up, I can't hear you...there's no need to shout!" That's because if you lose hearing, what usually happens is that there's a cut-off, say 40dB (which is a volume). Below 40dB, the person doesn't hear and above 40dB, they hear as loudly as if they had no loss. (Ditto other volumes.) That means that it's annoying for them and for others. You may need to practise just how loudly to speak to be helpful but not annoying.

7. Hearing aids can take a lot of getting used to. If you have age-related higher-pitch loss and get hearing aids adjusted for standard hearing it will probably come across as a shock when you hear the loo flush ('Niagara falls') or the doorbell ('fire alarm test'). Sometimes getting the audiologist to adjust the sound balance to be halfway between how it was and 'normal' can be better than correcting fully.

8. Beware in-ear hearing aids - they can be very fiddly. On the other hand, it's easy to take a behind the ear hearing aid ('beha') off and to pull it apart. One option is to get the sort of aid that was more usual many many years ago with an earpiece leading to a cable down to a box worn on the chest or on a belt. This can be good because it may be more robust and also because the wearer may find it more familiar if they've been used to listening to personal stereos/radios over the years.

9. If you have 'normal' hearing, you will be able to pick out a voice against quite a lot of background noise (up to 30dB louder than the voice) and you probably won't be aware of this. A deaf person will typically not be able to do this, so if you want to communicate with a deaf person, try to be aware of background noise.

10. The environment will make a lot of difference. The balance between hard surfaces will make a difference and whether hard or soft surfaces are better will depend on the balance of hearing loss (high/low). Thus you may find important conversations better held in, say, the kitchen or bathroom rather than the living room or bedroom.

Hope some of this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew