My Mum can no longer stand unaided

Glad

Jan 13, 2007
Surrey
Good Morning to all you kind and helpful people out there! I have (hopefully) used your advice to good effect. I found out that the brain scan that we thought Mum had was in fact an x-ray, so the consultant booked her for a scan yesterday, but the queue was too long and last night had still not been done. :mad: They are changing her anti-depressants,as they think this may be causing the spasms. I spoke to our AS support worker, Elayne, (who is the most wonderful and helpful person!) and she explained that the Aricept and anti-depressants have two almost opposite effects on the brain and that they can sometimes cause problems when used together. She also advised that we should get a written assessment of needs before Mum is discharged. Mum was much better yesterday. :D She had, apparently, found her way to the hospital loo twice in the night, unaided! She can't do that at home! She can walk and we have not noticed any spasms. Interesting point- The effect of the old anti-depressants must have worn off (not taken any for a week now) but also, we have been getting her to drink water and apple juice for the first time in months. Could this have helped the "miraculous" improvement overnight? Personally, I feel it has helped. Next step is to see what comes from the brain scan. Off to work now. Love to you all.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Just a thought I had with the dehydration problem.

During the periods when my wife was not drinking enough, I used to make lots of stews and stock based bubbly things, the like of which you have probably never seen in your life. They did serve to get some liquid and moisture down and I am sure helped her.

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Glad
I'm sorry I haven't replied to your thread but have been watching with interest
mum broke her hip 4 weeks ago and is still not mobile so I am currently waiting to see what happens on the mobility front. Mum is not very good at co operating and firmly believes she is fully mobile"What do you think I do all day.....I'm always walking around". I think we are approaching the point where no more can be done for her on the mobility front.......the physios don't appreciate being thumped when they try to help her.......so of course that raises the point of her future care.........

On the fluids intake.....mum will not accept drinks from the nurses and so when I visit I get as much down her as I can.......I believe she thinks they are trying to poison her........
Welcome to TP by the way!!!
Love Wendy x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry Mel to read about your mother mobility

Would be intrested to know who help you with the asscesment (as your self funded ) in desideing / raisesing the point of her future care for your mother do Social services get invalid ? Just wondering As in if, she said no she does not want to go in care home, or is your mother mental capability gone to far in the stages now to know her surounding

so of course that raises the point of her future care.........

Last edited:

sandy25

Nov 30, 2005
Hi Glad,
My dad suffers muscle spasms...well they're more shakes. Once he seems to be putting pressure on his legs they start shaking uncontrollably. Tasks such as getting in the car, sitting down on a chair seem to be the main problem. But once he starts to shake its very difficult to manoeuvre him.
I pointed this out to the neurologist but he just said it was all part of his condition (vascular dementia) and said you need to instruct him to march on his feet as the brain will make this easier to co-ordinate (?!) = thought this was a bit odd myself.

My theory is he doesn't get enough exercise, and can't imagine he ever will now..

Glad

Jan 13, 2007
Surrey
Another day, another frustration. Exactly one week in hospital tomorrow and still in the queue for a brain scan:mad: This has changed Mum's mood, as she was aware that someone had said she could go home when she was better. She's back to being distressed and weepy much of the time. I couldn't be there personally today and it appears that nobody gave her anything to drink. The new drug that they have given to replace the antidepressants is sodium valporate. I have looked this up and it seems that this is an anticonvulsant given to stop aggression in dementia sufferers. Mum isn't aggressive, just terribly depressed! I wish I could turn my back on my job and my children so that I could give 100% of my time to this, but I can't so I just get more and more frustrated. Anyone out there got any experience with sodium valporate? You've all been so helpful, I am sure someone will know something. xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Glad

Sorry, I can't help with the drug. Just wanted to let you know that we're all still here for you.

Sorry your mum's so depressed. It must be awful knowing that she just has to wait for the scan. And awful for you, too, knowing that there is nothing you can do for her.

But you know you're doing your best, and your mum knows that you have your children to care for. I'm sure she also knows how much you love her.

I hope she gets that scan soon.

Love

Rhoda

Mar 15, 2007
West London
I found this thread by accident just now and wanted to bring it to the top. The information on dehydration is a real revelation. When my old lad was in hospital last night they put him on a drip because of dehydration. He has always been reluctant to drink, never finishes a mug of tea, so I feel guilty. I am now very hopeful.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Rhoda,

I`m interested to know how you found the Thread. Did you search `dehydration` or were you just browsing.

It is felt the Forum is not the easiest for new members to navigate, that`s why I`m asking.

I`m pleased you were helped by this new information,

Take care

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hi Rhoda

I hope ypur 'old lad' improves and is home with you very soon and it is a good point to bring up.
my mum, who lived by herself after my dads death 2000, ended up in hospital last June and DEHYDRATION, underactive Thyroid and poor diet was diagnosed.
Hospital doctor blamed her state of confusion ( I know, it could have been a possiblity) on his diognosis.
Mum now lives with us and is in mid-stage Alzheimers, she has very bad arthritic knees, weight bearing is very painful for her and If I didm't encoutage her to drink she would end up in hospital again.
Getting up to go to the loo is painful, so she thinks if she drinks less she needs the loo less.
I now give her twice as many 'half cups' of tea
etc. She loves a malted drink and manages to drink 2 full cups a day.
Take Care Bye for now
janetruth x

Rhoda

Mar 15, 2007
West London
Hi Sylvia,

Yes and no. I was searching on an entirely different word; that's why I said I found "dehydration" by accident.

I haven't had any trouble navigating this site so far. I do look at other websites, which has probably helped. The only problem with this one is the sheer volume of postings which means that you have to look in frequently to keep up and catch a thread before it disappears into past pages. Hence the usefulness of "Search"!

One thing I have learnt, by annoying experience, is that when preparing a reply it's a very good idea to keep "select and copying" to save the text already typed. I have often been timed out or done something silly myself and lost all my laboriously typed thoughts.

Regards, Rhoda

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Rhoda,

Enlighten me please!!!

Select and copying is news to me. What do I do?

So often I have been unable to finish a reply and have lost the whole thing. I thought it odd there is no facility to `save`.

Please tell me more.

Rhoda

Mar 15, 2007
West London
Hello, Janetruth

Thanks very much. The malted drink sounds a good idea and I'm sure I've seen "Lite" versions of these (as he's diabetic and I'm overweight).

Just off to get a drink of water....

Regards, Rhoda.

Rhoda

Mar 15, 2007
West London
Hello again, Sylvia.

What I do is:

Using the mouse, Select/highlight the text already typed. Press Control plus C (for copy). The text remains visible but is copied to the Clipboard. Then when you need the text again, if you've lost it, press Control plus V and it reappears. You can only do this one bit at a time - any subsequent Copy replaces the previous one.

There are lots of these keyboard shortcuts, which as an old-fashioned typist I find easier than mouseing around with icons. I can't find the complete list at present in my Microsoft book, but they're worth looking out for. We did have a printed card with a list on but that seems to have fallen out.

Incidentally, you do have to do it carefully. I have just lost my text because I selected it all, then coughed and pressed the wrong key! All gone!

Hope this helps. Regards, Rhoda.