arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

POPPY67

Mar 5, 2010
yorkshire
hi hope you all well i don't post much but do read a lot but today i need to scream!
today at work i work for a travel insurance company i do the medical screening to see if we can cover any pre medical condition's ! (don't blame me) any way was doing this today with a customer who informed me that her husband had been told had early signs of ALZHEIMERS but not to worry as the DR said no one died from Alzheimer's ! i do do not know how i kept my mouth shut as last december my mam passed away from this if only she knew but i also did nit want to scare her as well ! i came home opened the wine and cried like a baby when does it get easier as i'm still waiting i feel like i not grieved yet for my mam as in June last year my MIL was told had VD as well

concerned1947

Feb 14, 2011
I can understand how you felt as it is always difficult when what you are dealing with at work suddenly brings back your own loss. My hsb has AD and I have been told that it is not the AD that will end his life. An infection or another body function will be affected by the loss of brain functioning and at the end of his life it will most likely be a physical cause. Stay strong.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I have to say I agree with you, Poppy. There is a reluctance to put AD down as the cause of death, instead it is pneumonia or whatever. My feeling is that if the person hadn't had AD to start with, they would probably not have had the physical problems they did and that it is very often the AD that causes the physical problems in the first case. My classic example is aspiration pneumonia.

When my mother dies, I intend to fight like mad to get AD put on her death certificate. Anything else would be a denial of what she has suffered.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Oh Poppy, I'm not surprised you wanted to scream. Not only bringing back memories of your own loss but some other poor soul being misled by a stupid doctor. Not to worry, indeed.

When my mother dies, I intend to fight like mad to get AD put on her death certificate. Anything else would be a denial of what she has suffered

I'm with you there, Joanne.

Poppy, I hope you have a more peaceful day tomorrow

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Oh Poppy, you have reminded me of when my daughter was diagnosed with asthma, and we were told not to worry because people don't die of asthma. No, but if someone has a very bad attack they can die of heart failure. I suppose you can't blame the GP for not wanting to scare that lady at this early stage, but really he shouldn't have said anything rather than giving a false impression.

I understand how ignorant and unhelpful remarks by a doctor can be devastating. Don't want to go into more detail, but I know how much this hurts. It is such an insulting denial of what you have been through. You never want to wish ill of someone but it is tempting sometimes to think, well if you'd had my life you wouldn't be so smug and dismissive about this situation.

Nannybus

Dec 21, 2010
There is only one word on my mother's death certificate and that is - Alzheimers!!!!

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
On MIL's death certificate it said dementia, pneumonia, kidney failure, etc Basically it listed the physical things seen at end of life for a dementia sufferer.