this is not normal!

hw00001

Oct 7, 2006
Guildford
im really worried...since iv lost my gran in early nov iv not been eatin or sleeping v well at all....im getting concerned about the amount of weight im losing and about the fact im showing sighns of being anemic....im not sure if this is a normal reaction to grief and im not sure what i should do about it....im still going to pieces all the time.....

han

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Han

Sorry to hear you're still feeling so rough. It IS still early days though.

I'm wondering if you're stressing out about your course and your placement. Did you managed to get it changed?

If you're not eating very well it's not that surprising that you're losing weight, and possible that you're not getting the iron you need etc. I usually reckon most things are "normal" during the first few months of grieving ..... but if you're really concerned, or have other symptoms it wouldn't hurt to check it out with your GP.

hugs

Áine

hw00001

Oct 7, 2006
Guildford
no i did not managed to get my placement changed but i feel that there is no point in running away from a situation i am going to have to deal with...my first placement starts in a week and i am REALLY worried about it. iv been thinking about going to the doc but i dont want to waste his time..........i know that sounds stupied......im really strugling with my nursing atm and it is very hard not just to give up but that might change next week....also thinking of changing to child nursing i dont know im :S

han

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Han

I'm not surprised you're feeling so bad. You must be really worried about that placement, especially as you're still grieving for your Nan.

As Áine says, it's very early days. Grieving can last for years, so two months is a very short time.

I'm sure you'll feel better after you've got the first day of your placement over, but if you're feeling really bad it wouldn't be a bad idea to see your GP. He may be able to give you something to ease the depression, and will be able to test you for anaemia.

Take care,

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi han

You certainly sound stressed to me - I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago through work related stress - couldn't sleep - had no appetite and lost a load of weight.

Go see your doctor - that's what they're there for

Take care

Libs

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Han

I don't think knowing your limits and taking care of yourself is "running away". Having said that, if you're determined to go ahead with it, you might well find that once you get there it won't be so bad. I was talking with another student nurse in a similar situation the other day ....... she said she found that once she was there, and the patients needed her she was able to get on with nursing them and not get caught up in stuff about her loss. She also found it helpful to mention the difficulties to one or two of the other staff (the ones she felt most OK with) so they could keep an eye out for her if she was struggling with stuff.

I think what you're describing is "normal". It's painful but not surprising given what you've been through. It wouldn't hurt to go to the GP and have this confirmed though.

hugs

Áine

hw00001

Oct 7, 2006
Guildford
heya

thank u so much for ur advice....i think i will go down to the student health centre on mon :). i do think that wen i get there i am just gonna switch into "nurse mode". lol this is were living at home would be a lot eaisyer!!... ill keep u updated on my placement.

how long does it take to feel normal again?

han

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Han, how long is a piece of string? There's no answer to that question, it varies so much from person to person. All I can say is that it does get easier.

One day, you'll get to evening and think, 'Today wasn't too bad'.

Just go easy on yourself.

Good luck,