EPA - some faith restored

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Confirmations from companies acknowledging registration of mum's EPA are filtering through ... after battling with her bank, disbelief that two national companies have rung me to ask 'What does this mean and what do we have to do with it?....:eek: I just have to share this quote from a letter received today:

'I have also added (mum) to our Priority Services Register. We keep a confidential record of any particular needs our customers may have so that our staff are aware of this. We only pass this information on to the people who need to know it, for example, anyone who may visit on our behalf. This includes the Distribution Company so that they are aware of priority customers in case of planned interruptions to the supply.'

Wow, wow and more wow!

Love, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's good Karen, but I know you know better than to place any reliance on it :D

Jennifer

MJK

Oct 22, 2004
It's amazing how the response to an EPA seems to vary. I am just in the process of letting utilities etc know that I hold POA for my Mum. Her local council accepted it immediately - didn't need to see a copy and were very helpful. Most other organisations took my details but need to see a copy before they will actually "do" anything. Her gas/electricity supplier - who I won't name but is currently the most expensive, I'm sure you know who!!) need to see not only the EPA but written authority from my Mum. Why?? The whole point of me registering this with them is that she is incapable of managing these sort of things!

My other big complaint at the moment is with District Nurses who fail to visit Mum to give treatment because she tells them she can manage herself - despite the fact they are aware she has AD they seem perfectly happy to accept that she will remember. They then tell her to go to the surgery for appointments that she then fails to keep which results in minor problems dragging on for months!!!

It sometimes seems that the organisations/people who should have the most understanding of difficulties caused by AD show the least!

Sorry - rant over!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That's dreadful. I realise it doen't help to say it but they're not allowed to do that! Have you contacted the guardianship customer service line to ask what you should do? Also, the Disability Rights Commision might be able to help - this is a clear breach and they've acted for people who have had problems getting banks to act on the epa.

Jennifer

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Karen,

do you mind me asking a couple of quesitons.

How long did the EPA take one you sent of the registration document?
Did you send out a standard letter to all these companies?

thanks
Craig

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Her gas/electricity supplier - who I won't name but is currently the most expensive, I'm sure you know who!!) need to see not only the EPA but written authority from my Mum. Why??

I have a feeling this is the same as Dad's supplier.....I am waiting for the registered EPA...due in two weeks........and fail to understand why they need a letter of authorisation aswell??......surely the registered EPA should be sufficient.....bearing in mind the reason it was registered...self defeating coming to mind.....

Oh dear......should I be bracing myself? Where before I have been almost looking forward to having an aggro free time over Dad's affairs......will everyone make it difficult...if so what is the point?.......

Why do all these companies not know the law or understand the relevance ? Not only do I believe it is necessary seeing Dad is on ' his journey ' but I want to relieve him from even a single innocent letter that will throw him into a blind frenzy !!!

MJK

Oct 22, 2004
abby said:
Why do all these companies not know the law or understand the relevance ? Not only do I believe it is necessary seeing Dad is on ' his journey ' but I want to relieve him from even a single innocent letter that will throw him into a blind frenzy !!!

TBH I think it's probably down to whether the individual you speak to has any experience of dealing with POA or not. Very frustrating nonetheless! Like your Dad, my Mum can be sent into a huge panic for days over the simplest letter.

I'm planning on sending just the registered EPA anway, as I agree needing a letter of authority does somewhat defeat the purpose of the EPA. Just hope it lands on the desk of someone who knows what they are doing!!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Craig, I sent off the EPA to Court on 13/11/06 - received back having been regsitered on 18/12/06 on 29/12/06 - which by my reckoning (haven't got enough fingers and toes!) is about the 35 days specified given Bank Hols etc......

I did send a standard letter - (word-processed to 'personalise' it to each company and include each individual organisation's ref etc) .... my text included:

Please find enclosed a copy of the Enduring Power of Attorney authorised by (X), which has now been registered with the Court of Protection on 18/12/06 (their reference xxxxxxx).

You will realise that by registering this power as her attorney with the Courts, (X) is no longer able to deal directly with her own affairs

I think when I stated 'you will realise' - I had an idea most would not!!!! :rolleyes:

With hindsight, and if it helps anyone else, perhaps I should have addressed the covering letter to each company's Legal Dept? .... might have a better chance than just hoping to 'drop lucky' - as MJK says - I perhaps expect too much of some poor customer service clerk ..

I had one utility ring me and ask 'Does this mean we need to cancel her direct debit'???? :eek: Scary stuff.......

Not trying to frighten anyone but just hope someone else can learn by my mistakes.....

Love, Karen, x

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Karen
I'm very much in the dark about EPA/POA as my brother holds this for mum.
i do know it did seem to have a few "teething problems"(understatement perhaps;) ) but once in place seems to be ok now......
what worries me is surely this is not a rare occurrence.......i would have imagined the companies have plenty of experience in this?............
love xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think there are 2 problems here 1) a lot of people don't know or understand the difference bewteen POAs and EPAs 2) working in customer service burns people out - so you end up talking to people who don't have a lot of experience about anything.

Jennifer

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
working in customer service burns people out - so you end up talking to people who don't have a lot of experience about anything.

Whilst appreciating this.....I have, for many years, been hugely frustrated by those employed in customer service.........who don't know / never been taught how to ' service the customer '.

I am sure it is a thankless task...but I do feel that anyone in that role should be trained to deal with every issue and if approached by a recipient of registered papers SHOULD know what that means and the process.....

Or am in cloud cookoo land?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Having worked in custoemr service I can say that it is sometimes a thankless task, but it can also be rewarding. Unfortunately, customer service seems to be the first area that takes a hit when it comes to cutting costs, and you know what they say "If you pay peanuts...."

Jennifer

abby

Dec 19, 2006
West Country
Jennifer....
I wasn't being personal :eek: and clearly didn't express my view correctly ..sorry :eek: ....that it's not the staff but management who are failing here.... ...THEY should know and train accordingly.
My statement was a general overview of my experience through life.....but I would be lying if I wasn't worried about the impending registration. :rolleyes:

Helena

May 24, 2006
Its strange that I had absolutely no problem whatever getting Banks Utility Companies ,council etc to sort things with both EPA and Registered EPA

However dealing with self same compaines and getting probate figures etcv is an absolute nightmare
As for extracting money from them on D20s to pay IHT i might as well wait till 2008

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Abby, no no I knew you weren't being personal :) I have the same level of frustration, maybe more so because I know that it can be done right. You are correct though - attitudes come from the top down. Actually there are, in theory, 2 basic customer support models 1) You assume things will go wrong, but move heaven and earth to put them right or 2) You do your best to set up systems so that nothing goes wrong, but have lousy support if it does. Actually, of course there's a 3rd way: spend no money on getting the system working in the first place, and also refuse to spend money on putting things right afterwards :D I suppose in an ideal world there's a 4th system: spend gobs of money getting it right in the first place, and also spend money on having well-trained CSRs to put right the things that do go wrong. No many of those companys though.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Karen and everyone, thanks for all the advice and posting your experiences. This is all going to help so much. :)
thanks
Craig

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Yes, I'd like to add my thanks too. There have been various posts about EPA's on here over the last few months and I've tried to absorb it all! It's really useful to share experiences and ideas to make it easier for the next carer who has to deal with it.

What a shame that some of the companies involved don't follow suit!

Must add, that I currently have an unregistered EPA and I did find Nationwide BS helpful and thorough. :)

Helena

May 24, 2006
Lucille

Nationwide may be helpful over EPAs but they are downright obstructive when it comes to probate and D20s