Recent problems

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
Hi, all, My mum has Alzhiemer's she is also in a wheelchair, i live with her i am her sole carerer, i am a widow, there is only the 2 of us in the house, anyway i have a new problem, 2 weeks ago she had a slight stroke, which of course made everything worse, mum has a perment catheter, and she incontinent so she wears tenner full knicker type pads, when i settle her in bed at night, she has started ripping off her pads and messing with her catheter and pulling away from the overflow night bag, and trying to pull it out from her body which must be painfull, of course now there is wee all over the bedroom floor and i have to change the bed sheets every day, i just dont know what to do , i have tried putting a bandage around it to hide it, i have even tried putting her in tights and knickers on top of her pads but she still gets them off, she gets so tangled in her bedclothes i am at my wits end. so i would really appriciate any idea's please.
thanks

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Have to contacted your local incontinence nurse to see if they have any suggestions?

I know other people have suggested a swimsuit or leotard as something that can stop people from removing pads like this but even those can be circumvented by someone who is really determined. There are available "onesies" designed to stop people undressing that might help, but they are expensive and not readily available I don't think.

Hopefully someone will come along with some workable suggestions.

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
Thank you for the quick reply, yes i have asked the district nurse who sorts out her catheter, she was no help unfortunatly, i have asked doctor and O/T no one can help or they just dismiss it.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Easy for them to dismiss it - they aren't living with it.

I've been trying to find the sort of garment I mean that might be available from a supplier in the UK without much luck. The sort of thing I mean is like this

http://www.clothingsolutions.com/product.aspx?pf_id=33D

but while I have in past be able to find something similar if not identical in the UK I'm coming up empty at the moment. I'll continue to look.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I found this http://www.kcsleepsuits.co.uk/

I have no idea if these people are reliable, reasonable or anything else, but it might eb a solution.

Mind you, looking at their price compared to the US sites, you should probably check if it might be cheaper to purchase from a US site and have it shipped internationally.

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
wonderful invention, i have ordered one to see if it works.Thank you so much, how on earth do you find these sites, i spend hours searching the net for ideas,:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The only reason I was able to find them is that I knew they existed. :D So I just kept plugging in different terms.

In the US you can search for inappropriate undressing and get a lot of hits, but it's not so easy in the UK. I hope it works out for you.

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
So pleased

The only reason I was able to find them is that I knew they existed. :D So I just kept plugging in different terms.

In the US you can search for inappropriate undressing and get a lot of hits, but it's not so easy in the UK. I hope it works out for you.

Well my sleepsuit came for my mum and it's wonderful and it works i am so pleased and very grateful for the help i recieved. it proves "we are not alone"! xxxxxxxxx

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
set back

Mum has had a set back she had a slight stroke at christmas, as well as Alzheimers in the last stages being unable to walk due to a tumour on the spine and lot s of other medical probs, this stroke has made things a lot worse, it's so hard but i am keeping her at home where i can make sure she is well cared for.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I'm very glad the sleep suit is working out but I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's stroke. I hope you're getting outside help as well - you need the support to continue taking care of her.

Take care

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
Well I'm very glad the sleep suit is working out but I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's stroke. I hope you're getting outside help as well - you need the support to continue taking care of her.

Take care

Hi jen, just an update the suit has been a godsend, however no feet in it and she kept pulling the legs up as far as they could go thus stopping the cath bag from working. but i had an idea i asked the company did they do suits with feet , they said no so i attatched soft bed socks to the bottom of the legs :) now it's perfect. she hates it because she cant get out of it. thank you for your help eternally grateful xxxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Odd they don't do them with feet but one of the things I have discovered here is that TP members are endlessly inventive. :)

How's your mum doing now?

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Glad you got it sorted kad. I found a link to a houdini suit for someone before, strangely I can't seem to find it now, but the one jennifer found is much better.

We have to be creative with clothing, Dad crosses and uncrosses his legs all day long, his trousers finish up around his thighs umpteen times a day. I bought many different ones, but the outcome was always the same.

So I bought some 1" wide black elastic, sewed buttons inside both of each trouser leg, made a hole in the elastic and sewed that so it didn't fray, attached each end of the elastic to the buttons.. perfect, stirrups on all his pants, no more rucked up trousers :)