Pets

sonia owen

Hi All,

I don't know what you think about a person with dementia and pets.
I find with my own Mum, she could be frosty with me, but my dog, when she comes up to our home. She will compleatly change, when he comes to greet her and lick her.
She has never had a dog, or has ever really liked them.

I wondered if I mentioned to our Carer's group, about having a pat a dog visit, sometime. It might be nice. Not sure how health and safety would view this kind of thing in the day centre, where we have our meeting.
Animals can sometimes do alot of good
Lopve Sonia xxxxx

Claire

Mar 31, 2004
Coventry
Hi Sonia

I used to take my dog to see mum in the care home - she had always had dogs. The home manager was more than happy for him to visit as he was always the centre of attention with the residents, who wanted to stroke him, give him biscuits or just talk about him or pets they had had in the past - once he was taken for a walk all around the home by a resident who really enjoyed it (with me in attendance of course). I agree with you that animals can be very therapeutic.

take care,

Claire

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Same reaction at my mum's CH but there it was to cute smiley babies. (Not so sure about noisy toddlers running amok though!)

I think taking in or a visit from a well-behaved dog is a great idea. It would be something to talk about too if conversation is difficult and just as entertaining for the 'spectators' who may be sitting immobilised in their chairs.

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hi Sonia
I have a friend in your area who has a registered pat dog. She used to take him to a local NH to visit dementia patients and mostly it was very successful. I think if the dog's registered there's no health and safety issue, they're chosen for temperament and have to have been health checked by a vet.

My own experience with Gary and especially Morgan was that when Gary was agitated, Morgan would go to him immediately and offer him his head to be stroked and gradually Gary would calm down so I only see positive things with animals and dementia x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I take our dog to see my husband and everyone is delighted to see her - apart from the nurses! But those concerned are not British and I know people from other countries do not always understand our obsession with animals!

There is also a lovely PAT dog, owned by a carer there, who visits often and has his photo on the staff photoboard!

Mariondb

Aug 24, 2011
A friend of mine works in a local care home and she arranged for a Pat dog to come in to see how it went - it was an incredible success and now it is a regular thing. The residents got so much from it.

I hope to be able to get my MIL's nursing home to organise one as well. There should be absolutely no problem with Health and Safety - probably more germs and bugs in the average nursing home than any dog could possibly take in!

It's a great idea.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Sonia , I love Dogs :) & i think having a P A T Dog visiting your Day Club is a FAB IDEA ! ! :D

For several years have worked in 3 different types of N Home / Care Home etc & 1 of them had a regular P A T Dog & Owner :D Visit once a Week . As Elaine says there a Special Rules & Training for P A T Dogs so Health & Safety should not be a problem ! !

Best Wishes & Good Luck with the Day Club & hope you find a P A T Dog that will come & Visit :)

Love Grove x x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
My husband's care home sometimes has relatives take dogs in to visit and both the staff and the dementia residents enjoy them.

One of the male nurses on a night shift always has his dog with him when on duty.

Loo

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Interested to read about this phenomena. Dad never paid much attention to dogs before he had dementia but now whenever we're out on walks he starts laughing and always tries to touch them whenever one comes close by saying how gorgeous they are. It's nice to see something that can make him happy and that he responds to so positively. The only slight problem is that he sometimes doesn't touch them very gently or in the right spot so the dog can occasionally get angry or start barking, usually the owner is at hand though!

Last edited:

Mariondb

Aug 24, 2011
Whilst I am the first to believe in the full benefits of animal therapy in both mentally ill and simply ill/elderly patients - and I encouraged here - you have to be careful on this and make sure nobody touches a strange dog without the owners permission first. Not all dogs are PAT dog temperament - some because of their breeding. I have two lovely dogs, but neither, because of their breed, would accept a stranger coming up to them -not even the puppy.

People tend to eyeball/stare at dogs and bend over them, or pat them on the head all of which are, to some, very threatening.

It could place the dog in a situation where because the growling or warning signs are being ignored, they are forced to go to the biting level - not out of anger Pheath - dogs don't get angry - but out of self-protection and it is unfair on the dog. As an owner I would be pretty annoyed if someone attempted to stroke my dogs without asking me first and by doing so placed them in that situation where they strike out - and sometimes the owners being there cannot prevent it from happening.

So please to anyone, seek the owner's permission - PAT dogs are very specifically chosen for their temperament but even the best behaved, obedient and loyal dog to their owners and people they know (as with mine) would not pass a PAT dog test.

simonphillips

Jun 28, 2011
Birmingham, West Midlands
We have Thomas, a big, white and black moggie. He is the centre of our universe. He wanders up to Mom, bunts her under the chin and starts to pummel like his life depends upon it. When he has finished he gives her a nip and demands food as payment for his "massage" :) We've always had a cat and Mom loves him to bits. She does worry about him when he is out mousing (he brings them in and puts them in my boots. It's quite a shock to see two little button eyes looking at you when putting boots on. You then have to let the little thing go and hope Tom doesn't notice) but she worries about me if she can't see me. I am a great believer in the healing power of pets (Cat's were worshipped as Gods after all :) ). A friend brings Turbo, her dog, every so often and he lies on Mom's feet. She adores him too.

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
i now have 4 dogs had 1 this time last year but my dogs keep me harm and help me lots and love the calm they give out even when i am having a bad day my little whippet hoddy never leaves my side when i have a bad day and we are just waiting for the financies to register our greyhound rosa to the PAT schelme my youngest daughter really would love to go to the local ch and nh with her x jo x