From Respite to Full Time Care

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
The deed is done. Mum went into respite just over three weeks ago and was due to come home this weekend. The plan was for her to go back in January and then every 6weeks. However she has settled so well, and based on input from the Care Home, her Alzheimers Day Care Manager, family and of course your good selves, we have decided to make it permanent.

She basically has no recollection that she has ever lived with us (past 3 and a half years), and keeps saying "It is very nice here, but I sometimes think about going back to Chelmsford" (where she lived most of her life). The home is really nice and the people absolutely lovely. They also seem to like her which helps. Because she still has quite good social skills, does not try to escape and has no behavioural issues, she has been able to move into the residential unit. There is a dementia unit as well, but they think she is better off where she is for now. The rooms have their own doors onto a courtyard garden so she can safely go outside whenever she wants.

I have been visiting every other day and am now honestly enjoying being with her - a far cry from a month ago. Several professionals pointed out to me that coming home would confuse her and then going back there again would cause more confusion. It just seems the kindest thing to leave her there as she has settled in so well.

I love my mum dearly, but having her following me around all day, every day, just got too much. I could handle looking after her physical needs, but the constant hovering and questioning got too much. Disrupted nights didnt help either. Some days she still thinks I am her mother, and yesterday she told me she was 40 (she is 87). She really has no idea about anything any more, and the decline over the last few months has been very steep.

It is such a huge step to put someone into Care, but somehow we seemed to just suddenly drift into it. However I still feel like I am caring for her and will continue to be involved in her daily life, but hopefull can start to have a bit of a life for myself as well. The 90 year old inlaws go home today (been here for nearly 3 weeks), so starting tomorrow OH and I can begin to get our lives back.

Thank you all for all your support.

Sue

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
However I still feel like I am caring for her and will continue to be involved in her daily life,
Hello Sue, pleased to read your news and to hear that your mother has settled so well. And yes, you ARE still caring for her and you WILL be involved in her daily life too. Don't look back. You have done the right thing.
Love and best wishes.

fiitay

Oct 25, 2011
Staffordshire
So glad to hear your Mum has settled so well, it must be such a relief for you.
My Nan who suffered from dementia was never settled in her own house (she was always trying to go 'home') but as soon as she went into a CH was as happy as larry as she thought she was home. She told us the first time we visited that her brother (who died in the WW1) had decorated all through!! Now my Mum had mild AZ and I just hope she will be the same in time.
You can start to take some time for you and OH now and start getting your lives back.
Good luck

Fi xx

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
I'm so glad that things have worked out well for you Sue. It's such a huge relief when they settle so well. It's strange, we all worry that we are doing the wrong thing, and too soon, when actually it is the right time! We haven't looked back since MIL went into the NH and we can spend quality time with her now, which is lovely. She is happier relaxed, and not asking to 'go home' all the time, which she did when she was in her own home.....................

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
Hi Sue

I am so pleased that your mum has settled. My mum also settled well in her carehome and it was such a relief. You will be able to spend quality time with her now without all the stress. I love visiting my mum safe in the knowledge that when I leave she is being well cared for.
Take care Dibs (Deborah) x :)

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hello Sue

What a lovely post and so pleased that things have fallen into place so well for you. It has given me heart for a decision which I feel is not too far away now.

Take care
Mary
x

Bozza

Nov 30, 2011
Hi Sue

I am pleased that your mum has settled in well. Maye I should get my mum to read your comments and feedback on it (however then she'll see my comments too so that may not be a good idea).

Well done for being so supportive to your mum's needs and I'm sure she'll be very happy.

Tracey

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I'm so glad that this has gone well for you Sue and that your mum is settling so well. You'll be getting used to having those happy feelings more often now!

caravaner

Aug 22, 2011
wales
Hi Sue

Thank you so much for this post.

My mother is going into c/home tomorrow and we have been really worried about whether we are making the right decision for her. We lost my father just over 5 weeks ago and mum has been "lost" since. She keeps saying she is lonely so we are hoping she will feel more comfortable in the home with lots of people around her.

Glad you will get to have quality time with your mum now and hope this will be the same with my own mum.

Di

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
What a lovely positive outcome Sue. I am pleased for you and your mum that all is well, time for you and OH now, some well deserved quality time together. Enjoy!:)

frazzled1

Aug 25, 2011
london
hi there Sussexsue,

I was just about to write a new post asking people about respite care as i know nothing at all about it and its something i will probably need to sonsider at some stage in the coming year/s....with this illness there is no saying at what stage the dementia will get worse.remain static...whatever it will do in time is a mystery...but i had thought that some of the best care homes (including one that i visited recently) were rather like nice hotels (!) and during my visit i rather would have liked to have gone in myself l.o.l....but did not know whether for the elderly with dementia that going in for say a limited time of a few weeks, or a month or so, every now and then, would leave the person more confused and distressed with the change of scene than just staying in one place i.e. at home??....well, your post has answered that really, just to give it a try when its needed and if the care home proves to be a total success and leads to all round happiness, as you have found, then its best for everyone if it eventally becomes permanent. But its a great way to see if you like it in a home, to stay for a month or so.....anyway, i am so happy to read all your positive experiences recently with it and that finally you are able to "get your life back". You will look forward to your visits and that time will be special and relaxing instead of becoming a monotony which 24/7 can turn into when people start to feel they are a "hampster on a wheel" going around and around with the same questions/answers/conversations/routines. I wish you both every happiness

ooster22

Aug 11, 2011
Cornwall
Dear Sue

I'm so pleased to hear your mum has settled into the CH so well - to have the peace of mind to know she is well looked after and happy is brilliant.

Now time to look after you too!

xxx

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Sue, it's so lovely to hear that your mum has settled so well.

Turbo

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Hi Sue

Glad your mum has settled in so well. It is a big step but I think you have done the right thing - it will be strange to begin with but now you can relax a bit and begin to get a life yourself - you've earned it!!

Love

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
Hi Sue
Im glad the decision has been has been made, and that you and mum are enjoying each other now. This is my aim, although I think I have a way to go yet. Ive been thinking about visiting as the guilt monster is creeping, but as I saw her Monday Im resisting till perhaps next Monday.
I think our situations were similar, but our mums very different - while your mum seems to have been (from what I can gather from your posts) a more contented lady, she liked to be near you, where my mum is definately not a happy lady, nor is she happy to be in my company.
Now your visitors are gone,what on earth will you do with all this 'you'time?
:)
I have been sleeping and sleeping, and its only slowly that Ive been able to shake the overwhelming exhaustion.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Hi Sue

I think our situations were similar, but our mums very different - while your mum seems to have been (from what I can gather from your posts) a more contented lady, she liked to be near you, where my mum is definately not a happy lady, nor is she happy to be in my company.
Now your visitors are gone,what on earth will you do with all this 'you'time?

I think you are right, same situation, but different characters. However I think we have both reached breaking point at the same time.

Certainly now everyone has gone I can enjoy more time with the horses - they might actually get groomed. What I most want to do - absolutely nothing :)