Care Home Fees

caravaner

Aug 22, 2011
wales
Hi All,

Have found c/home who is willing to take Mum. She is going in on Thursday.

Fees are going to be £490 per week. What I want to know is if it is normally the case to pay a months fees in advance?

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Just out of curiosity can i enquire how much are care home fees if anyone is in London? Although we're not quite at that stage for dad yet and are desperate to stave it off for as long as possible mainly for emotional but also for financial reasons, I can see there will be a time when we can no longer manage at home as it's starting to take a big toll on us now.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Don't know how much they are in London, but my mother's fees are £800/week and she's in the midlands.

Fiona

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
There is a big variation, and I don't think it necessarily reflects the quality of care.

I'm paying £515 pw (12 x £2232.20 per year, paid at the end of the month) in the East Midlands. I looked at a very similar set up here in Yorkshire and that was going to be around £780 pw - that's an extra 14K per annum. :eek: I don't see how they could justify another £265pw.

It's worth starting to look around well in advance, Pheath; that'll also give you plenty of time to choose the CH that's right for your dad.

The figures sound horrendous and my parents were by no means well off. But by investing the money from the sale of her little bungalow in addition to her savings, pension and attendance allowance, we've managed to self-finance since Feb 2005 and there's plenty still in the pot.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Thanks Chemmy - thats interesting to know, fees really are incredibly expensive & sounds as much elsewhere as in London. Must admit we're very reluctant to spend on that scale at present especially if it means ultimately selling the family house. I gave up my job 3 yrs ago so my own financial security is rather vulnerable plus it's always been my parents wish to leave my brother and myself something from the estate. However if we really can't manage anymore there might be no choice.

Last edited:

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Well, I had a choice. Look after Mum at home and wreck my family's life (you only have to read some of the stories on here) or spend my inheritance. I chose the latter and do not regret it for a minute. Life's too b****y short as it is.

As I see it, it's not my money (only child), it's Mum's and should be used to give her the best quality of life she can have. Whatever's left...well, thanks very much, Mum and Dad. I've explained all this to my children and have made it clear that my husband and I expect to be looked after professionally if necessary and, in the same way, they are very welcome to what's left over at the end. :)

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
I can see that many people do have to make that choice but perhaps their circumstances are slightly different. Because I never bought a property of my own (just rent) I don't have a huge amount of security to fall back on so unfortunately am probably a little more dependent on receiving some inheritance (although dearly wish this wasn't the case). However if it's not to be at the end of the day this is something I will have to accept. Even though I work freelance a few hours a week it's going to be very hard to get back into the job market as many of the skills I once had have now been superseded. However having said that by far the largest reason we're not putting dad in a home just yet is because it would be v traumatic for him and us as he still just about recognises us and his house and we don't feel it's quite time yet. By the way, does someone still receive Attendance Allowance whilst in a CH?

Last edited:

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
This is interesting...I thought I had to stop mums attendance allowance, (and by default the winter fuel payment).

If she is still eligible, then I assume that this payment will go some way to paying for the CH fee?

Nannybus

Dec 21, 2010
The fees for my mother's Care Home were £2,500 per month, in advance. She received the higher Attendance Allowance, which contributed towards the fee.

Mum died just four days after the last advanced payment, therefore did not receive the full month's care, which was paid for, but there did not seem to be a policy in place to return the unused part of the fee.

She was previously in another Home, which also did not return any of the unused fee, although the reason for her vacating that Care Home, was the fact that she ended up in hospital and they refused to have her back. Her place in both these Homes was filled immediately.

Please read the contract carefully, and query this point, if necessary.

ooster22

Aug 11, 2011
Cornwall
ref winter fuel allowance

You have to let the State Pension people know if your mum moves from home to a CH as she is still entitled to Winter Fuel Allowance but at a reduced rate. I rang the Pension department - BEAR IN MIND AT THIS POINT THAT I am telling them so that they can pay mum LESS money now she's in a CH. Was told I had to send them copies of the Registered EPA/Power of Attorney forms (which I had not got round to doing before as mum receives no benefits and nothing had altered with her State Pension which goes straight into her account and stays there). Anyway - sent them the paperwork together with a covering letter WITH THE OTHER INFORMATION THEY REQUESTED: dates of when mum had been in hospital, date she moved into CH, previous address, CH address, my address and contact details, HER Nat. Ins number, confirmation she received no benefits, just her state pension.

Week later had a letter - stating they needed more information as I had not supplied details of .....
Dates of when mum had been in hospital, date she moved into CH, previous address, CH address, my address and contact details, HER Nat. Ins number, confirmation she received no benefits, just her state pension.

Called the Pension Peanutheads ... they confirmed they had indeed received all the information but needed my Nat. Ins number also in order to deal with mum's claim. What claim? Apparently that is what they call her State Pension.

All this, just to save them on the amount of Winter Fuel Allowance they have to pay mum.

No wonder so many people don't bother being honest.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire

caravaner

Aug 22, 2011
wales
Hi and thanks for all the replies.

Well it seems that there is no outright rule - some pay in arrears some ahead.

Nannybus - thank you I will go through the contract and see what it says about refund of money if she comes out of c/h for any reason.

It's disgusting to think that our parents who have saved all their lives end up having to pay for all their care and even sell their homes to cover this:( Makes you feel like selling up, renting a home and spending all your money:D

Perdita

Jun 22, 2009
Suffolk, Uk
Hi All,

Have found c/home who is willing to take Mum. She is going in on Thursday.

Fees are going to be £490 per week. What I want to know is if it is normally the case to pay a months fees in advance?

When my mum went it started off as respite and was paid at the end of the two weeks, but when it was decided she was staying it became 12 equal payments a year paid in advance.

Portland

Sep 17, 2010
London
London Care Home Fees

Re: Just out of curiosity can i enquire how much are care home fees if anyone is in London? Although we're not quite at that stage for dad yet and are desperate to stave it off for as long as possible mainly for emotional but also for financial reasons, I can see there will be a time when we can no longer manage at home as it's starting to take a big toll on us now.

My mother is in Enfield and the CH charges just over £950 p. wk., having recently increased by some £100. It's near the higher end of the scale for AD clients but by no means the top. I looked at some CHs in Islington that were charging £550 p. wk a year ago and I wouldn't put a dog in them!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I looked at 15 Nursing homes for my husband, whose charges varied enormously, some £1,000 a week but fees charged do not reflect the ambience nor quality of care given. The most expensive can be no better than the cheapest.

Regarding payments, a friend pointed out to me, we should expect to contribute something towards the homes as everything costs and at home, heating, food etc would have to be paid for. The injustice is in the inequality of payments and the quality of care provided.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Thanks Portland - i've been ringing up care homes in Barnet this week to find average costs. Nursing homes are considerably more averaging £900-1100 per week but have found a cluster of smaller residential homes around the North Finchley area approx £500-650per week that deal with dementia which I hope to view before long. The managers at some of these homes sound very nice and in fact i got the feeling there was a much more personal approach than in some of the larger more 'hotel' like homes costing considerably more. Even though we dont need one just yet i think it's a good idea to do the groundwork well in advance as can see there'll come a point in time we can no longer manage at home.

Last edited: