I don't think I can do this!!! long post.

Donnadoobie

Oct 12, 2011
Norfolk
Bad weekend with my mum. Social services visited on Friday and found her with all the gas rings on and the grill alight!!!!:eek: they telphoned to tell me that we must get the cooker disconnected immediately. My brother was supposed to have arranged that for the previous wednesday but didn't!!!!:mad:told my brother who has arranged it for today so I went on Saturday and took off all the knobs so she couldn't switch them on. She was not great on Sat am but happy. Got a phone call on Saturday evening telling me her kettle wasn't working, Me and my husband braved the football traffic at 5..00pm to pop into Argos for a cheap kettle and took it to her. The base that plugs into the socket was missing. "where have you put it?" "I haven't moved it" "you must have moved it, maybe you forgot" "I haven't somebody else must have done it" on searching the house I found it upstairs in her bedroom. "I found it, do you know where it was?" "no, unless it was in my bedroom":confused: plugged it back in. Next the microwave that we bought a week ago, as she lost the glass dish for the other on, was missing the glass dish again which we found near the kettle!! but inside the microwave was a piece of bacon on top of the thing that rotates the dish and fat from what looked like lots of bacon all over the bottom. I mentioned that she mustn't take the glass dish out, she told me she never touched it, why don't I just leave her alone etc etc, I admit I lost the plot and left hubby to sort things out and went to sit in the other room. We left later made my peace and went home.

Today I telephoned to see how she as I always do. She said she was surprised that nobody was there, she was all on her own!! "Well we are at our homes, we haven't been there" Well how do I get back to my other house" "you don't need to you're staying there" "Well why didn't anyone tell me" "We did tell you, we tell you everyday" She hung up the phone on me 5 - 6 times and I kept phoning back to calm her down but I seemed to make things worse. Was very agitated and angry with me talking about her other house, my dad, other things that just didn't make any sense and one worrying thing when I called back one time she answered and said "Well if you want a suicide on your hands your going about it the right way!!" I just don't know what to do any more, what to say or anything, I feel useless, and the wrong person to handle this. We have always been so close and now I just make her angry when all I'm trying to do is help her.

Sorry for the long post. She's going for a CT scan today so maybe we'll get a diagnosis. BTW should she have started her medication yet, it is 6 weeks since she was assessed or are they waiting for the scan results?

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi Donna, Reading your post is like re-visiting my and mums situation before she went into her CH in March this year.

The same , things going missing, emergency calls to family members at all hours, threats of suicide (I used to get " Well, you'll be pleased when they call you to say I've died")
You know she can't help it, that it's the illness talking , but it's still b***** awful.

Our solution was that she went to live in a CH. Things are not perfect, but they are getting better.
Whatever route you take, I hope it improves things for you all,

Take Care

Lin x

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Oh Donna, I'm really sorry, this is such a strain on you. I can't offer advice, only sympathy, no help I know. Hope some real help gets to you very soon.

reno

Feb 28, 2011
"I admit I lost the plot and left hubby to sort things out and went to sit in the other room. We left later made my peace and went home."

Well done for this - well done for taking yourself out of the situation and calming down rather than taking it out on her.

Donna - it sounds like she needs to be in care.

I hope that doesn't sound too blunt, but I'm feeling very blunt regarding my own/Mum's situation at the moment. No time to post about that now.

How terribly frustrating and agonising this all is

PatH

Feb 14, 2005
N.Ireland
Donna, these are difficult times for you and your mum. Many of us have lost the plot and struggled , this disease affects everyone. Hope you get help soon for all of you.
love Pat

Tess810home

Jan 11, 2011
London
All sounds very familiar. Mum lives with me and I would come home to this every night. Mum lost the a ability to use a phone so I didnt get the phone calls at work but left my number with my neighbour for emergencies. I came home one night in winter to find her sitting in the porch, freezing cold. She had locked herself out. After a UTI at New Year and a majoru psychotic episode, I made the decision that she was too great a risk to be left home alone and I gave up work.

If I had been unable to give up work my mum would have to go into a CH as it was only a matter of time before she hurt herself. I remember walking up my street every night wondering whether my house would still be standing - so many times gas left on, waste papers thrown into gas fire etc.

When I gave up work Social Services supplied a gas alarm which detects it gas left on, an alarm is sent to emergency call centre and they call (a) the house (b) my mobile and will send someone around if necressary, they also offer to hold keys. I find this useful even now I am with her 24/7.

The 'hiding' of things is so common but can be very frustrating.

I agree with previous posts, your mum probably needs full time monitoring. A difficult decision for family to take but it sounds like the time has come to start looking at alternative care arrangements.

I wish you well in finding a resolution to this and the strength to deal with it.

T

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Although the idea of being in a CH is the worst scenario imaginable for most of us, maybe it's a good time to consider what 'keeping your independence' means for the dementia sufferer.

Loneliness...
Inability to keep track of medication...
Inability to read a newspaper or follow a TV programme..
Inability to cook, clean the house, take a bath....

Well...you can all fill in the rest.

Trying to cope on your own in a world where you don't understand what's going on or remember who people are or what you have to do next, must be a nightmare. No wonder they are stressed.

So, when the time is right, moving into an appropriate CH isn't necessarily such an awful decision.

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
my mum always used to say a problem shared is a problem halved.....and no its not moaning its the best way to vent ones frustrations and maybe get some support...been telling my hubster to get going on here for a bit of support as i have vd....hope you fine some love and hug vibes from me jo x