I am a carer for my husband who hides objects around the house

rockydog

Nov 10, 2011
Help! I am forever looking for household objects because my husband hides them away in obscure places. Does anyone have any advice.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
No advice but just to say I know the feeling. I recently lost a small kitchen knife, one I was so used to. I searched everywhere for it. In the end bought another one but it didn't suit me, so bought another one which is a little better but not the same.

Yesterday I found the knife while I was looking for something else, underneath his scarves and gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to be part of life now

Jez

Nov 11, 2008
Alford, Lincs
my mum does this,
she hides money and recently weve had to get her new dentures do to a hiding incident...
we eventually found them in a plant pot?!?

theres £250 we'll never see again:mad:

Tess810home

Jan 11, 2011
London
yep...very common. I now accept that all important stuff needs to be locked away from mum, as she will squirrel it away somewhere...no logic to hiding places, or she will pick it up and, not knowing where it 'lives', will put it in the weirdest places :)

My advice would be to accept it as part of the condition and lock away anything that you may need to get your hands on urgently.

I long ago accepted that unless I put items in my secure place, they are apt to disappear.

Good luck with the treasure hunting.

Julia58

Nov 23, 2011
yep my dad is always hiding things and mum if forever looking for them.
She too locks away valuable and important things now.
:)

myheadisinaspin

Nov 6, 2008
marlow bucks uk
lol sorry i had to laugh this is ongoing game with my mother, but her favourite is hiding her underwear lol.
ive even found them all neatly folded in a pencil case, a loo roll (in tube) the fridge and even stuck in letter box. we are always having to hunt things down, i now think what is the most unlikely place to put them and start there. she also tends to take everything to bed with her like shes trying to keep it all close, so making her bed is task just to clear all the things shes hid.

Tess810home

Jan 11, 2011
London
lol sorry i had to laugh this is ongoing game with my mother, but her favourite is hiding her underwear lol.
ive even found them all neatly folded in a pencil case, a loo roll (in tube) the fridge and even stuck in letter box. we are always having to hunt things down, i now think what is the most unlikely place to put them and start there. she also tends to take everything to bed with her like shes trying to keep it all close, so making her bed is task just to clear all the things shes hid.

YES!!! Underwear in pencil cases, underwear wrapped in clean clothes, allsorts, including bits of cake and dinner in dressing gown pockets...nothing but mail in letterbox so far tho :)

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
It's even worse when it's in a CH situation as you can't search the other residents' rooms. I've taken to writing my mum's name on the outside of her slippers and sandals. I bought her bright pink glasses so it was obvious they were hers, but they only lasted a couple of weeks.

Funniest case I've heard of is when the staff have had to look for missing dentures :D Never mind someone's room - there's an chance they might be in another resident's mouth :eek:

DLM

yep...very common. I now accept that all important stuff needs to be locked away from mum, as she will squirrel it away somewhere...no logic to hiding places, or she will pick it up and, not knowing where it 'lives', will put it in the weirdest places :)

My advice would be to accept it as part of the condition and lock away anything that you may need to get your hands on urgently.

I long ago accepted that unless I put items in my secure place, they are apt to disappear.

Good luck with the treasure hunting.

On the UOAA forum there was a report of a person pasting their ostomy pouch to the bathroom mirror.

--

There are RFID "locators" that have RFID tags that can be hidden inside objects, attached to eyeglasses etc and associated finder that will locate the missing object.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Help! I am forever looking for household objects because my husband hides them away in obscure places.
Me too, and neither of us has dementia. My OH does not believe in putting anything away where it is supposed to go in case he might need it again in the next year or two (seriously:rolleyes:). So both of us have to search for these things that he has left 'to hand', i.e. under the next wave of clutter.

Sorry to hijack your post, it just made me smile when I think that to OH I am the one who hides the household objects. Apparently if I put them away where they are supposed to go that is the last place he would think to look! And everything below 1metre from the ground is invisible, because it involves bending down to find it. I seem to remember my dad had that problem too.

Harriet66

Mar 23, 2011
My husband has been hiding stuff for a couple of years now - his favourite place is under the bed - found a huge chisel under there a few days ago:eek: I've given up asking why - he denies all knowledge of hiding stuff.
His great aunt though would put things in the most extraordinary places - she accused the family [well me mostly] of stealing her giant tub of Vaseline [she refused to bath - simply slathering vaseline on her skin instead - yuk]. After she died, we went through her room and found the tub zipped up in the bag of her ancient Hoover!!:D

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
On the UOAA forum there was a report of a person pasting their ostomy pouch to the bathroom mirror.

:eek::eek::eek:

There are RFID "locators" that have RFID tags that can be hidden inside objects, attached to eyeglasses etc and associated finder that will locate the missing object.

I hope Santa brings me one of those for Christmas :D Mind you, I'd have to locate my reading glasses first......:confused:

Redwitch

Mar 24, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Hi all,

Mum lost her 8 week old glasses when she was last in respite:mad:, luckily we went to SS so she has a spare pair.

Mum seems to think that all the underwear in the house is hers (including OH's:eek:), we jsu wait until she is occupied and go claim everything back, sometimes we are too late though, and a few weeks ago I came home to find her in my then 21 year olds "almost see-through rock chick t-shirt", it brought a smile to my face at least:D

I am starting to get worried about her decent jewellery though, some of them are heirlooms and I worry that she will just not like them one day and chuck them out:eek:. Still I suppose there is always insurance:eek:

Jan

augusta

Nov 29, 2011
I am new to this forum, and would like to say how helpful it is to know that the things Mum does are not unique!

I am forever searching for things!!

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I am starting to get worried about her decent jewellery though, some of them are heirlooms and I worry that she will just not like them one day and chuck them out:eek:. Still I suppose there is always insurance:eek:

Jan

I took my mum's engagement ring, pearls and a few bits of sentimental jewellery into safe-keeping when Mum went into care...and then some *&%&^ low-life broke in here earlier this year and nicked the lot.

Most of it I never wore - it was a sentimental attachment, but at the end of the day, it's just 'stuff'. I have to say, the insurance company were very good and we had a generous and prompt pay-out. And when I went out to buy new things, I took the view that these were gifts from my mum and my grandmother and I have had the pleasure of choosing things I will actually wear.

One big tip: take close-up photos of all the items, preferably next to a ruler to give an idea of scale. Also pictures of you or your mum wearing them. If there are any valuable items, it might be worth getting a proper up to date valuation.

This will reassure the insurance assessor that the items did exist :confused: and they will be able to give an accurate idea of value.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976