Hello from Margaret new member

Maggy79

I just wanted to introduce myself my name is Margaret. My husband who was 62 in July was diagnosed with dementia, 2 years ago, for 2 years prior to that, he was unwell, but the doctors thought he was suffering with depression.

After many tests, I have been informed that he has atrophy of the frontal lobe, he has not got Alzheimer's or Frontotemperal dementia, and that's all they can inform me at present.

Looking forward to being a member ,as I moved to Australia 30 years ago, all my family are in the U.K and I am considering returning as I would have family support.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hello Margaret,

Welcome to TP, although I'm sorry that you've had to find the forum as a result of your husband's diagnosis - I do hope you will find support and some answers as to how to deal with your husband's illness.

I thought you were one of the "Wide awake club" because of the time of your post, then realised that you are based in Oz - there are a few members from your part of the world, some of whom are ex-UK like yourself.

Getting support whether from the medical or social services is very important, especially when managing the disease becomes more challenging. Family support if it is available can also help enormously, but that in itself can also present problems!

My mum had frontal lobe atrophy shown by a scan, but her diagnosis was Lewy Body Dementia. Each person's problems are different, even with the same diagnosis, but there are some similarities in the problems that arise.

Moving back to the UK might well be a good idea, especially as things progress; was this something you were thinking of before the diagnosis? I'll be honest, the climate in Oz would suit me much better than murky old England (especially in the winter!), but sometimes it just is that your heart is in your homeland. And you'll read on here the struggle some people have in getting healthcare support in particular areas (especially with budget cutbacks) - what is the support like in Australia?

Sorry, I've asked lots of questions, but look forward to hearing from you in the future. Best wishes :)

Last edited:

sonia owen

Evening with you now.

Just wanted to say hello, and welcome you to the board.
You certainly have plenty to think about, if you are thinking of returning back home. I know many people who have retired aboard, and one of them gets this illness. Many of them find its best to come home.

I am sure you will do what you think is right for you both.

Our youngest Son and wife, left here 2 year's to live and work in Sydney, they are having the best lives ever.

Take care.
Love Sonia xxx

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
Hi
I understand why you are thinking about coming back to the UK.
My husband has Vascular dementia & Alzheimers - we all know how hard life is living with dementia & any support is more than welcome
I do find, however that Malcolm is affected badly by the English winters with little sun & very cold weather - apparently many people with Alzheimers do suffer with SAD
However, my son also lives in OZ (Perth) so we try to visit him every January for 2 or months & the laid-back life style & weather seem to do Malcolm a lot of good.
Maybe consider splitting your year & coming to the UK in our summer & your family visit you in our winter - then you would get the best of both worlds & support when you need it
The AS fact sheet on 'Travelling & Going on Holiday' is well worth a read
Hope this suggestion may be of some help - we have our flights booked to Perth booked for 11th Jan for 3 months & cant wait to go to get away from English weather (& the worst hasnt even come yet!!!) :)
Miriam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Margaret

A welcome from me too.

I have no advice for you on relocating but whether you are in Oz or the UK you`ll get the same support from TP.

Maggy79

Thank you for the warm welcome

Hello all

Thank you all for your warm welcome to this site. I already sense a group of people who are unfortunately walking the same path as I am. I am going to write to you all personally, but I can not leave my husband for too long, and I am just trying to find my way around the site, so it may take me a couple of days. Thank you once again.

Margaret

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Margaret, please don`t worry about writing personal, individual replies. We all know time is at a premium and most of us read all Threads we identify with.

Just keep posting in general, on the open forum , and we`ll all get your messages.

The most important thing is you get the support you need here. xx

Lady Pen

Nov 17, 2011
My first attempt

:) Hi Margaret, you seem to be receiving lots of good advise. I lived in Melbourne in the 1980's, had two daughters in the Mercy hospital. I returned to the U.k. from living in India,I thought I would miss the sun but to my surprise love the weather!! and I am in Cumbria. As most people have mentioned there are lots of reasons to stay put, most of all the Health system is so much better in Oz. I'm on my own and have enough time to talk with you. Take care and ask for help, most people are not too good at mind reading! love Lady Pen

Dennis Brown

Jun 11, 2008
Worcestershire
I'm a returned member,Glad I have!.

Hi Margaret,
My wife has Vascular Dementia & Alzheimers, diagnosed 7 years ago, we live in Worcestershire and I have received fantastic support and advice from all the support
services in the area, I started in Alzheimers Society when Ivy was first diagnosed and was amazed at the help I received from members, and found out that I wasn't on my own with the problems I encountered.
Keep in touch with us, you'll be surprised how many friends you have now already.
Love Dennis.