Why do people what to work as a care assistant

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
I cannot understand why some people want to work as a care assistant :confused:
I became a care assistant because of my experience of caring for my mum who had Alzheimers and the very poor standards or totally lacking quality of care my mum received and wanted to try and improve care standards and peoples quality of life in care homes.

Every time I stay back after work and spend quality time with the residents just talking and cheering them up or doing practical things to help them I get the same old question. Why am I still there or why am I there on my days off by other care assistants that work there. It makes me wonder why they wanted to became a care assistant at all. I have always believed that caring for someone is more then just doing the practical daily living things in that real caring is trying to improve their quality of life making it more enjoyable and tolerable like just being a real caring friend who will do things for them that will make a real difference to improve their life's and not someone who is just doing a job :mad:
Sorry all just ranting because I'm fed up of the homes attitude

Last edited:

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hi Simon
I would hope that most people in the caring profession are there because they truly care, although we all know that's not always the case and you sound amazing in the level of care you want to give.
I worked for the NHS for 15 years as an ot aide with the elderly in hospitals and day hospitals and was passionate about my job.......but....I burned out because i couldn't leave it behind me when i went home and I feel you need to be careful of that. Please don't think that's a criticism of how you work, your care and passion is admirable but you do need to be able to leave your responsibilities behind you when you finish a shift so that you can recharge your batteries for your next shift. As with any carer, whether it's at home or on a professional level, time off is essential. I hope i haven't offended you, as a carer in both cases, I do understand how you feel but also see the pitfalls xxxe

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello Elaine no you haven't offended me :)

I find it so frustrating wanting to improve standards of care but with there being so little money available in care and staffing levels so bad and getting worse and because of that no willingness for people to change their attitude towards those needing care it is so demoralising when people make comments to those of us who are willing to go further and give our own free time to improve peoples life's to try and make up for the care industry's very bad short falls :(

Don't worry about me burning out I've battled through a lot of hard things caring for my mother it will take a lot for me to burn out as I've discovered I am a lot stronger then I ever thought and I get so much pleasure seeing the faces of the people I help care for when they smile at me or laugh with me doing some of the things I do for them :D

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Just take care of yourself Simon, because if you don't you can't give the care to others that you want to give. that may mean stepping back now and then and you need to recognise that if you do that, it doesn't mean that you don't care
xxxxxxe

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Simon, sadly not every carer is born with empathy and compassion, the ones that are are worth their weight in gold.Keep at it Simon and may be get some good qualifications under your belt so that you can make changes from the top!!!!

I wish you all the best and always remember that you are making a difference to the people who live in your home.

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello Danny thanks for the encouragement :)

What do you think to this Danny :2 carers : 1 senior to look after 26 residents ?

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Simon, I guess you know what I think of that.

Yesterday we had 18 people for day care only, people with much less needs than your residents, there were 5 staff and we struggled to give true person centred care. I will be calling on volunteers to help us , sadly I guess this maybe not a viable option for your care home.

Until more money is given to fund care home placements what you are experiencing will sadly continue.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Oh gosh scare me off!!!

Oh dear this is just the sort of thing I know and expect and yet here I am loking to get into the care profession
I have declined the job I was offered because they said the only way they could offer me at least 33 hours was with 2 twelve hour shifts and two five and a half hour shifts per week, and I just know there is no way I could do 12 hours
I have spoken to other carers both in the home in question and other homes that have a similar shift pattern. People who do 12 hours have frequently told me the are aware of feeling tired and irrritable at the end of a shift and possibly perorming below par It's quite scary to think that all the publicity about the effects of long hours on performance are ignorred in a profession where the ability to act efficitently and with patience and empathy is so obviously needed.
It sounds to me you are a fabulous person, and I wonder why you haven't tried moving to another home where you may be appreciated more?
I tried to enrol on an "introduction to caring" course yesterday but the venues are both only reachable by journeys of 1.5+ hours each way on public transport > Useless.

Last edited:

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello Bristolbelle
The reason I have stayed at this home is because the residents cant walk away so I wont and nothing would change even if I did. I know nothing I do is appreciated by the care home but the residents do and that's all that matters to me.

As Danny said it's all down to local authority funding or lack of it. Social services know what's going on and turn a blind eye to it as long as nothing serious happens :mad:
Unfortunately this is wide spread in a lot of homes as there simply is no money for extra staff and if resident levels drop normally because of death then so do staffing levels though even when at full capacity staffing levels are still bad and corners are always being cut to save money usually to the decrement of the residents.
It really is an eye opener to see what really goes on in some care homes what the residents families don't see or understand it really is frightening :(

I had little or no faith in the system before I started working in the care system and absolutely none now. It's all about trying to do your best or just trying to survive along with the residents. Trouble is it's only going to get worse because money is being cut even more now :( and I'm not a fabulous person I'm just an ordinary person who thought he could change things but have now realised all I can do is just be there for them, try to do my best and show them compassion and empathy and treat them as I would my own mother.

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Simon,

You get a lot of satisfaction in what you do. There's nothing like that feeling that you are helping someone have a better quality of life. Most of us on here appreciate that.

Your posts always make me think of ways I could contribute more to that happy atmosphere in Mum's home. My daughter and I (and her young children) always talk to the other residents when we visit Mum. The little one always goes around the others in the lounge, giving them hugs and chatting to them. We take flowers in and sometimes we have a little sing song with them. :) Haha, they're probably relieved when we go! :D

I noticed this week that the laundry staff were struggling because most of the residents' clothing isn't labelled and I thought I might offer to sew some lables in while I'm sitting with Mum if they'll let me.

There is one member of staff like you on Mum's unit who does activities when she can and we try and support her with fundraising activities. We recently held a table top sale which will pay for an xmas meal and we have a craft sale at the end of this month.

This carer has managed to persuade the management that a regular newsletter to the families of residents would be a good idea and the first one comes out soon. I'm excited that involving the families of residents may just help generate enthusiasm for more volunteer involvement. I'm hoping that most people don't just 'dump' their relatives in the home and run. :rolleyes:

I'll let you know how things turn out in case something similar might help you.

Judging by the general attitude on TP I'd say if you can get the relatives on side it might well help ease your burden. I'm convinced their is a wealth of hidden talent out there and it would be so sad if red tape or the relatives' fear of getting involved hindered what could be a big step in the right direction.

All the best with your fight-we're right behind you.

Maggie

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello Maggie :)
I wish some of our residents relatives were more like you :) unfortunately all to common a lot of families just see care homes as drop off points for unwanted burdens :(
We have the same problem in our home with clothes with no names it really dose make it hard especially when clothes go missing and the carer has to go round hunting for missing clothes just when they need them after little accidents :eek:

It would be nice if families would all come together for a group meeting to see how they could help improve things in care homes and most importantly their loved ones lives like they do in schools :rolleyes: If we could get families on board things would improve in all care homes. we really do need to change peoples thinking about care homes. Everyone knows how bad they can be so why not change things like volunteering in care homes helping to care for our relatives. Helping with social activities improving, making our loved ones lives more enjoyable. There are so many restrictions preventing care staff from improving residents lives like taking them out in our own cars because of insurance issues. Basically someone like me in my own free time cant take your relative out in my car at my own expense for a ride out into the countryside or seaside in case of an accident and because of that being frightened of being sued by you :eek:
If families would sign a waver then people like me could :) If families of people in care homes would only take more interest like you Maggie we really could make a difference to the way care homes are run make them part of society life instead of dropping off points were people are made other peoples problems :( People with family members in care homes really do need to come together and discuss the welfare of their loved ones with the full involvement of care homes like people do with schools like a parents and teachers association in schools. Why cant we have a families and care home staff association :rolleyes:

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Simon,your way of thinking is a pleasure to read. Your ideas are what should be happening in care homes. Relatives should be encouraged to get involved, if they are able and have the time. On the subject of car insurance , most carers working in the community have business use on their policies, sometimes there isn`t a premium or if there is it is not much.

We use lots of volunteer drivers for trips out etc ,we get them from our local volunteering centre so they are CRB checked etc.

We have a weekly tea dance where carers come and make the teas and dance etc with less abled ppeople, it is in a local village hall but the principle could work in a care home. We also have carers who help out at our activity centre and we give them lunch to say thank you.

You need to get your mnagement team at your home on board with your ideas. Your community is a huge resource that needs tapping into. Just think of all the sad, isolated lonely people who could come and do some activities with your residents, you would be supporting them as well.

Bring your community in to your home Simon , you can do this:)

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Helllo Danny

It would be nice to implement these ideas in the care home I work in but unfortunately it's never going to happen :( I do a lot of unpayed over time in my care home and get either nasty pathetic snipes from other staff or get treated like i should not be there after work. It's like what the hell are you doing here you finished your shift! and laughed at or treated like I'm stupid for doing it by certain other staff :(
All I do is just try to improve residents lives that's all and I'm just being ridiculed for doing it. What I do in this care home is totally alien to it unfortunately. Hence the title of this thread. A lot of the staff well almost all of them are gone straight out the door when their shift ends. They cant understand why I'm still there four or six hours later talking to residents entertaining them, being a friend to them or doing practical things for them. All I get is why are you still here even strange looks from the management. In the end at this care home I'm just cheap labour and treated as so.
A demoralised care assistant :(
Wish I had you as my boss with your attitude

Last edited:

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Helllo Danny

It would be nice to implement these ideas in the care home I work in but unfortunately it's never going to happen :( I do a lot of unpayed over time in my care home and get either nasty pathetic snipes from other staff or get treated like i should not be there after work. It's like what the hell are you doing here you finished your shift! and laughed at or treated like I'm stupid for doing it by certain other staff :(
All I do is just try to improve residents lives that's all and I'm just being ridiculed for doing it. What I do in this care home is totally alien to it unfortunately. Hence the title of this thread. A lot of the staff well almost all of them are gone straight out the door when their shift ends. They cant understand why I'm still there four or six hours later talking to residents entertaining them, being a friend to them or doing practical things for them. All I get is why are you still here even strange looks from the management. In the end at this care home I'm just cheap labour and treated as so.
A demoralised care assistant :(
Wish I had you as my boss with your attitude

You probably make the other workers feel guilty, Simon. They probably do understand your enthusiasm for the residents' comfort but fail to acknowledge it because if they did acknowledge it they would be bound by their conscience to do something more themselves.

With christmas coming up there is a great opportunity for relatives to be encouraged to help. But you can't do this on your own, Simon.

I wonder if the management would listen to your ideas if you shared them?

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Thanks Danny but I've realised I'm never going to get good training or experience at this care home all I can hope for is a diploma in social care which will take me two years. Cant afford to pay for it myself and it took me long enough to get a care home to take me on. I did get offered jobs as a home care assistant and a job working for a gentleman both much better paid but not what I want, I want to make a real difference get lots of experience doing things properly real person centred care. I'm just going to have to wait to get my diploma before I can aim higher. Things are just not going well at this care home unfortunately..

lambchop

Nov 18, 2011
Hi Simon,

I'm new to this forum and saw your thread which impressed me so much. What an incredibly caring person you are and how lucky the residents are to have you care for them. It will be a huge loss to them if you leave this home but if it's not right for you, then you must find something better hopefully.

YOu said that you'd had no luck finding work in other care homes and that you've become so disheartened at the care standards you've witnessed. I just wondered if you've heard of a home called Spring Mount in Yorkshire which I have heard provides excellent care and might be worth approaching. (I don't have any connection with them - I just saw a tv programme about them once).

Also, I would have thought there must be some bursary/subsidy available to enable you to study for a diploma seeing as it falls under social work so I really wish you good luck with this. Is it very expensive?

There aren't enough people in the world with your kind of vocational attitude - it's very humbling. Unfortunately, caring professions with their low pay, often long hours don't encourage the altruistic amongst us unfortunately but I feel that even if most staff do not want to/can't stay beyond their official hours, they should not criticize you for staying.

It would be beyond many people's comprehension to understand how you manage to do it because caring, especially for particulary vulnerable people, does take a lot out of most people. I think you are incredibly lucky that you seem to be so resilient!

Good luck.

eskimojo

Nov 11, 2011
Crewe UK
i wish when my mum was in a care home to have had such a caring person as yourself......most of the care givers at my mums home were there because it was a way of earning money........there were hardly any staff there that worked there because they wanted to improve the residents life just a means to an end......its scarey stuff as i have early on set dementia and know this is where i will be heading somewhere down the line.......keep up the brillant work and keep careing because i am sure the residents do appreciate you and the time you spend with them xxxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm