heavy post - dealing with guilt

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Hello my dear friends,
I always turn to TP when things get rough. I am trying to deal with my feelings of guilt and sadness and grief after the loss of my Dad last year to dementia at 93. I know he had a good long life, mostly free of dementia. I know we looked out for him and cared for him so much in his final years, I know he appreciated life and his family very much when he was himself. I know that in his more lucid moments he was very aware of who his family were and that we were there for him and loved him dearly. I look to him as a hero and role model for my own life as I learned so much from him when he was well, but incredibly, incredibly - so much more from him when he had dementia.
I spent a lot of time with Dad in his last years, very very willingly, but as you all know, it takes its toll. I was not perfect by any manner or means.
So I feel so guilty that in my ignorance (and laziness) I tried to do things with him that were not right for him in hindsight. I regret taking him places I thought would give him pleasure, but which distressed him and disorientated him because of his dementia. I regret my subsequent feelings of anger and dispair that he could not "enjoy" the places I took him to. I regret causing him additional distress when his mind was already in turmoil. I regret hoping that he would be asleep when I visited sometimes because (a) he would be at peace, and (b) I might rest or read or relax, I regret that the home he was in did not have enough windows with nice views for him to look out on, I regret that I only realised after he was gone that the reason why he was standing looking out through opaque bathroom or other windows in the home was because he was used to looking out the windows at home - watching the world go by . I so regret that in the last year of his life he spent a lot of time standing next to opaque windows in the home as there were so few clear windows at the ends of the corridors or across from his room or within easy reach. I regret the heartache I caused him when I was a young wayward adult. I regret how much he missed my mum when she died, I regret not taking him into my home with me, he wanted that but when I had him for trial runs he always wanted to go "home" . I regret not persevering more. I regret the bewilderment he felt at the loss of independence his dementia caused. I am grief stricken with his distress at the invasion of his privacy because he could no longer tend to his own personal care and that he had to resort to aggression to protect his fragile state of mind. I regret that I was out shopping on the morning of the day he was dying and not with him - though I was there when he died and I am so grateful for that - I could not live with myself if he had died while I was shopping.

So many regrets and heartache and grief. Yet I know that sometimes I did ok and I have to remember that too. i am grateful for all the walks and prayers and laughs we shared - right up to the end. I am grateful for all the cross stitch I got done in the mornings when he slept peacefully, I am so grateful that he did sleep peacefully much of the time, i am grateful that he ocassionally found a window with a view. I am grateful that on some of the occasions I took him places he eventually relaxed and said "this is a grand road" or "theres the station" or " that was a great holiday" . I am grateful that the ladies who looked after him when I left to go to work were so kind and loving.

I have been drinking and eating alot this past year and my weight has gone up alot. I realise now, after some counselling that I am punishing myself for all the things I feel horribly guilty about and that I have to forgive myself. I could have done better but I did ok and I can learn from my mistakes to be more compassionate . Dad too was human and not perfect so he will understand and forgive me all the things I let him down on. He told me he loved me and appreciated the good things we did together. My grief is not gone but I think I am turning a corner. Thank you all for listening and being there for me in my hour of need.
Love
Helen xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Helen

I wish I could give you some advice or insight that would help you to get to a better place, but I can't. If you love someone, and you watch them move to the end of their life and it isn't perfect (and I have to say, I don't think these things can ever be perfect realistically) then you are going to feel that you have failed, at least some of the time.

I have to say: I've coped with this by consciously putting such thoughts out of my my mind. I did my best (I think) and even if I didn't, I did the best I could do at the time. I really think that is probably all anyone can do.

It's incredibly difficult.

Take care

benny

Dec 7, 2009
Central Coast NSW
Oh my goodness your words are so very deep and said with such compassion and words that I think most of us can relate to and feel your pain of guilt. If only we could erase guilt from our lives, because for all we do for our loved ones it's so unfair that we should feel exactly the way you do, but i guess it's all a part of the unconditional love that we have for them.
I can feel your pain with every single word you have typed, i hoped you felt better for getting it all out, it has really moved me!
I hope that you can start to ravel your way through and start to disperse all that guilt
so that you can start moving forward little bits at a time.
It certainly sounds like you did everything and gave so much love and comfort to your dad that you just don't deserve to have all that guilt on your shouders, but I know that guilt is a monster that will always make his presence felt no matter how much we do or have done the monster always wants more! Best of luck in moving forward, stay positive and strong. Take care Robyn x x

gerbiegirl

Dec 8, 2009
Wirral
What a lucky man.

I think you did a wonderful job under great stress,I beat myself up all the time ,i should have done this or that,but lets face it,we share the illness and can only do our best,he was loved and that is the best thing you could have done for him.:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
but I know that guilt is a monster that will always make his presence felt no matter how much we do or have done the monster always wants more!

So true, Robyn.:(

Sadly, we all seem to focus on the things that we didn't do, rather than the things we did. But the truth is, we all do everything we can. If we didn't, we wouldn't be members of this forum, sharing our problems and seeking a way to deal with them.

Helen, well done for sharing your feelings. You did everything you possibly could for your dad, and were with him at the end, letting him know how much he was loved. I know you know this, so keep reminding yourself.:)

I'm so pleased you are turning the corner, and beginning to see how much you did for your dad. I too ate too much when John died, but when I began to feel better, the weight dropped off. I know you can do this too, when you are ready.

I hope you'll keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and so is experience.

But we don`t start the dementia journey with experience or hindsight. These are qualities we pick up as we go along. And as we go, we do our best with what we have.

I have just watched a video by a wonderful woman, a doctor, herself a victim of Alzheimer`s.

www.gloriousopportunity.org

If I`d seen it at the start of our journey, perhaps it would have made me a better carer. Who knows.

Your posts about your father always stood out for me Helen. I`m sorry you suffered feelings of guilt but so pleased you are able to rationalise how well you really did, are able to see your care in a positive light. Any mistakes you might have made were with best intentions.

You are grieving for your father, you are missing him, but I`m sure you gave all you could with right mindfulness.

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Dear dear TP friends,
you have all comforted me and helped to calm the guilt monster. I know some of you from posts over the years, Jennifer, Hazel, Sylvia, I know from your posts that you know how hard it is to be a carer. Sylvia, that video - "glorious opportunity" is so so helpful but I am sad I didnt learn quickly enough how to be be more helpful! Dr Jennifer does clarify things very well. and If I'd known some of it sooner I might have been better, but I know it took so long for me to realise these things - and all the distress caused in between - doesn't bear thinking about!

But I am a firm believer that we all do everything we can, as best we can, and that helps enormously, but that devil guilt does keep knocking on the door - and beating us up ........I must learn now from that and be more compassionate with others .
Robyn, you are right that unconditional love brings with it also unconditional pain ! but unconditional love, given and received is such a gift - and any pain on the flip side of it just has to be taken too.

I try to find the good and great moments we shared to think on and help ease the pain of loss and guilt. I will share with you here two of these # I hope! if I can upload photos! #. One was a time in 2004 when dads dementia was starting to set in but he was still quite able for his 87 years. he stayed with me for three months in England , where i worked then, and he wanted to help out on the allottment. I of course was having kittens at the thought of him trying to dig and weed with me, but growing vegetables was something he related to so well so I had to get him wellies and let him at it! This photo shows how much he enjoyed that! but he probably thought i was a terrible fuss pot!

Another thing he and I enjoyed was hearing a pheasant croak when out on a walk. I would tell him right up to the end of anytime I heard a pheasant and he always related to that with a big smile, even at times when he wasnt able to speak. I started to cross-stitch a picture of a pheasant way back then, but have not touched it since he passed away. I took it out again last night and I look forward to finishing it now and having it on my wall as a reminder of our shared joy. It will probably take me years to finish but I will post a pickie when it is done !
Pheasant 2.jpg
Thank you all again so much. this week has been particularly tough # dad would have been 95 last Friday so I am thinking of him lots.
Take care everyone, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Love Helen xx

Attachments

• dad at the allottment 2004.jpg
    dad at the allottment 2004.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 567

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That's a wonderful picture of someone who is in tune with and happy with what he is doing.

Look forward to seeing the picture of the pheasant when it is done.

But I am a firm believer that we all do everything we can, as best we can, and that helps enormously,

that is so very, very true. Try to hold on to that.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a wonderful photo of your dad Helen. In my mind he is the man who walked the lanes reading his prater book.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Dear Helen, its so horrible how the mind plays tricks with us when we are dealing with grief. The time when we need to be most balanced and level headed. Unfortunately I think that guilt/regret is too often part of the grieving process. You have done exactly the right thing by getting support when it starts to take over. It's hard to make sense of death particularly with an illness like Alzheimer's when so much unfairness is thrown into the mix.

I too have struggled with guilt and know how destructive and negative it can be. It is like a little devil on my shoulder niggling away. I popped out to get and overnight bag to stay with mum for her last few nights and she passed away when I was 10 minutes down the road. It haunted me for a year to be honest, but now when I look back it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, I now know it was the terrible guilt monster taking over my life.

So glad you have found counselling helpful its just so consuming to bottle it all up. And hope you keep focused on the positives as times moves on. For me the guilt turned into regrets and then slowly melted away - it just took a long time.

kindest regards
Craig

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Thank you all again for your help and support, TP is such a great place to come to for that. Jenifer, I promise to post a pickie of my pheasant but I know it will be years yet before it is finished !!
Craig, your words are so true. The guilt and regret are all part of the grieving, and the unfairness and difficulty of illnesses like dementia really challenge and distress us. My guilt and regrets continue to resurface - and will continue to I know - so many things I wish I had done differently, better; but I try to bring memories of Dads affection and appreciation for me in those later years to the fore at those times to remind me that he loved me and knew I was doing my best. In time hopefully the regrets will fade and I will remember more readily the lovely happy loving dad that he was. I love this picture of him.
Take care all,
Love
Helen

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
I came across a great quote today Helen.

Time is the great physician.
- Benjamin Disraeli

Kindest Regards
Craig

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Grace

Hi Craig,
Thanks for this quote which is so true - we must let time heal our broken hearts.

I came across a song recently which moved me so; very simple and very few words but they meant so much to me. Its called "Grace" by Julie Feeney. The music is haunting, uplifting and pure, also the words . I have added a link below where you can hear it but am not sure if that is allowed or if it will work. (moderators, is this ok?)or me

I have written the words below too - last verse sort of saying it all for me.

I believe that my Dad has given me Grace - a gift - and I must use it - if I can !
take care, all.
Helen x

http://www.lp33.tv/artists/juliefeeney/?sm_title=Julie+Feeney+-+03+Grace.mp3&video=11944

Grace
by Julie Feeney

You gave me Grace
You gave me Grace
Help me today
to feel the Grace

Help me today
to feel the Grace
'cos here's the day
To feel the Grace

You gave me Grace,
Help me today to prove