drinking

myheadisinaspin

Nov 6, 2008
marlow bucks uk
we are really worried about mums drinking of water etc she barely touches a drop, and as for food she wont eat unless its in front of her plated up. the drinking is more a worry at moment, we give her plenty of drinks but she takes a sip thats it, is there anyone that had this with thier family member and is there anything else we can do, how much is enough to sustain her throughout the day. i worry about urine infections and she has been constipated many times because shes not drining enough.
melas are catered for and she eats with our help, but the drinking she refuses.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Bonnie, hi
I am sorry to say that this seems to be quite a common problem, my hubby is just the same at times. I think it's because of problems with the toilet, if your mum has been constipated and had problems with the toilet, as my hubby has, then she might be scared to eat and drink because of going to the toilet, I know it doesn't make sensible sense but it does make sense if you take out the sensible, which is what dementia can do. So there isn't an easy answer, sorry.

I try all sorts of drinks, try to get into a routine, I put a lot more water with hubby's Movicol for instance and put fruit juice out at meal times, he will drink a whole glass of ribena but only standing up in the kitchen, so it's a case to trial and error really, if he has a glass of juice sitting down without a meal then he won't touch it or will only take one sip.

I wish you lots of luck with this as it's so important for keeping healthy, others will hopefully be along later with more and better suggestions.
With best wishes from Jo

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:
My husband cannot take liquid. His drinks are thickened and if necessary given by teaspoons rather than through a beaker. Even that now is becoming difficult as he seems not to know how to open his mouth and swallow.

You may need a Speech and Language Therapist (SaLT) - it is normal to get their advice when there are problems with swallowing.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
If she is eating ok then you can get fluids into her from her food. Things like soup, Jelly, custard (you could add evaporated milk to the jelly and custard for more fluid intake), Ice Lollies, Ice cream, gravies, mashed potatoes with milk in, that kind of thing.

You often find that people with brain injuries etc and with things like dementia lose the ability to recognise that they are thirsty and therefore will only drink if prompted. Using a straw can help. You can also make drinks more interesting by adding fruit etc. Smoothies are good and milkshakes, that kind of thing.

Fiona

Coletta

Jan 6, 2009
Souh East Essex
Hi Bonnie

My MIL is currently in hospital with a UTI and dehydration. Before she went in I asked the GP how much she should be drinking. He said 3 pints, but made it a minimum of 2 pints when he saw my face! I managed to keep her going on 1 pint per day, but when it dropped to half a pint she became dehydrated and had to go into hospital. I now find it easiest to get fluids into her with a teaspoon. I give her fortisip but have the most success with Knorr stock cubes, (especially the vegetable one) which make a very tasty and satisfying drink by just adding some boiled water. I take her finely chopped slices of melon, which is mostly water. Adding cooked tomatoes to meals also makes them more liquidy.
Constipation was also the start of my MIL's problems so you are right to be concerned.
Such a worry!

Coletta xx

tish

Feb 8, 2011
we are really worried about mums drinking of water etc she barely touches a drop, and as for food she wont eat unless its in front of her plated up. the drinking is more a worry at moment, we give her plenty of drinks but she takes a sip thats it, is there anyone that had this with thier family member and is there anything else we can do, how much is enough to sustain her throughout the day. i worry about urine infections and she has been constipated many times because shes not drining enough.
melas are catered for and she eats with our help, but the drinking she refuses.

My niece drinks if we assist her. If we put drinks in front of her she wouldnt think to pick it up. The only thing i can suggest is to try her favourite drink although im sure you have already tried that. Just persevere and do the best you can. Its not easy and at times very frustrating. Sending love xx Tish

lyn7t

Apr 13, 2011
Ballymena
Lack of Fluids

Hi

You don't say if your mum is mobile or mainly in chair and bed. My mum is now immobile but initially her problem was holding a normal glass or cup so we got her one of those insultated mugs you get for camping, it is weighted plus has a small hole and lipped area. This was useful for hot and cold drinks, we then had to get the small beakers like kids use with the sucker top but now she doesnt like using that so it is mainly a straw, which we bought from the pound shop and cut down if needed. She loves the little kids cartoon drinks as she can manage these without on the whole spilling them. Also ice lollies and jelly mainly fluid so if she likes these then thats another way to get the fluids in.

A friend of mine leaves her mum a flask of tea on the table beside her and she is able to open it and pour the tea herself. unfortunately my mums hands and co-ordination dont allow this now.

We find that wheeling mum up to the kitchen to have meals with us helps motivate her to try and feed herself with one of us helping and spooning the odd spoonful in too. The other thing is to make sure she is sitting up ... as far as pos.... as then food and drink have a better chance of being swallowed into the stomach not the lungs. Reassurance and keeping her as involved and empowered as possible though I know that isnt always easy when all you want to do is get fluids and nourishment in!