Dr, Tobinick in Florida USA and perispinal etanercept

Platinum Gray

Nov 7, 2011
To whom it may concern:
I have seen the videos put out by a Dr, Tobinick in Florida USA claiming remarkable success in treating Alzheimer’s patients using a so-called “perispinal etanercept” injection into the patient’s spinal cord. He claims that this targets “Tumour Necrosis Factors” that is prevalent in those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and by reducing this “TNF” patients appear to reverse a lot of the faculties lost by Alzheimer’s.

Can anyone advise if this is true? What is the British Alzheimer’s Society views on this process? It looks too good to be true!

Thank you

Platinum Gray

Meldrew

Apr 28, 2003
London
To whom it may concern:
I have seen the videos put out by a Dr, Tobinick in Florida USA claiming remarkable success in treating Alzheimer’s patients using a so-called “perispinal etanercept” injection into the patient’s spinal cord. He claims that this targets “Tumour Necrosis Factors” that is prevalent in those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and by reducing this “TNF” patients appear to reverse a lot of the faculties lost by Alzheimer’s.

Can anyone advise if this is true? What is the British Alzheimer’s Society views on this process? It looks too good to be true!

Thank you

Platinum Gray

Etanercept (brand name Enbrel) is a type of drug known as anti-TNF (anti-tumour necrosis factor). In the UK Etanercept is available for some people with rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis, and for some children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.

A 2006 pilot study showed small but significant improvements in various cognitive rating scales in patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD) after treatment with etanercept. A further study, administering to a single AD patient via perispinal infusion, showed rapid and significant improvement in Alzheimer's symptoms.

Etanercept, as a treatment for Alzhiemer's disease has only been trialled on a very small number of people and there are large gaps in the research. I think the Alzheimer's Society felt they could not draw any conclusions from initial results and had some serious concerns about the validity of the research.

A small number of US physicians offer etanercept treatment for AD at a cost of $10,000 to $40,000 per annum.