Do I need this medication?

Donnadoobie

Oct 12, 2011
Norfolk
I went to my GP today. not my usual wonderful GP as she is on maternity leave but a locum, very friendly and kind but I felt he didn't really have a grasp on how I was feeling and came up with lots of strategies on how to cope, all of which I knew already, when I mentioned that she leaves the gas on he said that she would probably go into a home soon which I felt was a little unhelpful. Anyway when I pressed him about my headaches and feelings of constant anxiety he prescribed a mild anti depressant. I've just read the sheet that goes with it and it has scared me to death, and it says I cannot drink alcohol!!!! one of the treats I allow myself. what do I do? should I take this medication or look for a better solution?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
should I take this medication or look for a better solution?

Only you know the answer to this.

I have never taken an antidepressant myself nor do I like alcohol so perhaps I`m not the best person to advise.

But I do know many here on TP have benefitted from antidepressants, especially when taken short term. I also think alcohol is not a better solution, unless you have something different in mind. It will only add to your headaches, not reduce them.

Donnadoobie

Oct 12, 2011
Norfolk
No I wasn't thinking of alcohol as a solution it's just that at the end of the week I like to relax with a glass of wine and it is a treat I look forward to. I've always been against anti depressants, for me anyway, so I think I already know how I feel about taking them. Don't worry Granny G I'm not thinking of turning to alcoholism as a solution:)

Meldrew

Apr 28, 2003
London
I went to my GP today. not my usual wonderful GP as she is on maternity leave but a locum, very friendly and kind but I felt he didn't really have a grasp on how I was feeling and came up with lots of strategies on how to cope, all of which I knew already, when I mentioned that she leaves the gas on he said that she would probably go into a home soon which I felt was a little unhelpful. Anyway when I pressed him about my headaches and feelings of constant anxiety he prescribed a mild anti depressant. I've just read the sheet that goes with it and it has scared me to death, and it says I cannot drink alcohol!!!! one of the treats I allow myself. what do I do? should I take this medication or look for a better solution?

Hello Donnadoobie
I feel for you in your dilemma. I can only describe my personal experience and so please don't consider this to be any substitute for qualified medical advice. I've needed to take an anti-depressant for a number of years (Citalopram/ Cipramil). As with many prescribed medication the patient information leaflet says something along the lines of 'avoid alcohol whilst taking this medicine' and goes on to describe all the horrors you can expect if you ignore this advice.

As someone who, like yourself, views a drink as a treat which I deserve I decided to challenge this assumption that everyone should avoid alcohol completely whenever taking this drug. Turns out that my glass of wine or two each evening has had no negative affect whatsoever. I have my blood pressure, liver function, cholesterol and so on monitored monthly due to potential side effects of another drug I'm on for some other dreary condition - which also says 'avoid alcohol'. I'm not suggesting that you go for this intensive monitoring routine but to bear in mind that manufacturers of drugs err on the side of caution and quite rightly so. Take a look at what NHS Choices says: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/863.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=103

Maybe go back to the doctor and explain that you like to have a drink, not as a self-medication to blot out your troubles, but because it's a little treat for yourself and, heaven knows, you deserve it1

Redwitch

Mar 24, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I have been on anti-depressants for quite a few months now, and alcohol is not forbidden, it does depend on the medication though. I am on Fluoxetine (Prozac) and they suit my lifestyle:D.

Wishing you comfort
xxx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
My GP told me that most medicines that say "avoid alcohol" do so because it dimishes their effectivess. This is apparently particularly true with antibiotics. So if you feel that your depression tablets are working, a few glasses of vino colapso can be enjoyed.

So basically, see how you feel mixing the alcohol with the tablets.

Love

Margaret

Donnadoobie

Oct 12, 2011
Norfolk
Thank you all for replying. It has given me food for thought. I have felt a little better this week as mum has had a good week so I may shelve the pills until I hit a bad spot again. It's good to know people do feel more able to cope with them.