I think Dad's nearing the end now.

Peapod

May 19, 2007
Pembrokeshire
I haven't posted for a while as everything has been on an even keel for some months now; Dad has been in his (wonderful) nursing home for over 3 years until last week when he developed a chest infection and suddenly became even more distant and refusing food/drink.

He's in hospital now and it's not looking good - he's just not responding to anyone or anything and is being 'fed' fluids and antibiotics through drips.

He has vascular dementia with Lewy Bodies and we know that this illness can very suddenly take a turn for the worse. :(, but it's still a shock.

Today the hospital made sure they had our contact numbers and asked if it was alright to ring us 'at any time' so we're expecting the worst.

Mum and I don't drive and the hospital is over an hour away, so Hubby is taking the day off work tomorrow so we can go and see Dad and have a talk with the doctor.

How I wish Dad could pass peacefully in the nursing home we all love with his family and the lovely staff around him; I don't suppose that the hospital will send him back there if there's nothing more they can do??????

Sorry, rambling now, but love and best wishes to you all,

Nicky xx

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hello Peapod,

Sorry to ready your sad post about your dad's infection and downturn, and having to go into hospital.

As your dad is being given antibiotics and intravenous fluids there is a possibility that he might respond to the treatment. I guess the hospital is making sure that it can contact you should he take a turn for the worse - in a way it is best to prepare yourself. As always though, who knows what tomorrow might bring?

I hope that your visit tomorrow brings you a few answers, and that your dad is being looked after well. I know that you would prefer him to be in the place that he is familiar with, but at least he will be being watched whilst he is so unwell, and that they can move quickly to keep him comfortable in the hospital if necessary.

Wishing you, your dad and family strength at this difficult time xxx

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hi Nicky,

Yes, it is good to "talk" - getting those thoughts out of our heads can help a bit just to stay on top of the panic when we're facing scary situations....

Make sure you look after yourselves for the rest of today so that you're up and running for what the next few days might bring - crossing my fingers for better news for you all ;) x

Redwitch

Mar 24, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Sorry to read your sad post Peapod, I am not anywhere near this stage yet, but if it were my Mum I would just want it to be as peaceful and pain free as possible. Some hospitals have rooms/bedsits for situations like this where you could stay and be near-by, it is worth asking for your peace of mind.

Sending you (((hugs)))

Jan

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Nicky, sorry to read that your dad is in hospital.
I hope your talk with the doctor tomorrow will be helpful for you and your mum.
Thinking of you.

Turbo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger