Cancer now ? Why me?

linda1scot

Aug 2, 2011
north lanarkshire
Hi guys

a wee update on whats been happening within the last couple of days.

Its not been a great 24 hours really. i had an appt yesterday at the ENT dept and saw a consultant. i had been complaining of a feeling of something stuck in my throat although its not painful. ive had this for prob well over a year but with hubbys bypass and my ongoing testing etc for early onset dementia i had kind of put it to the side and concentrate on the above mentioned.

anyway, as i said i saw the consultant yesterday and he had to put a camera up my nose and into my throat to have a good look. not nice but certainly better than having to go through an endoscopy. Well, he said he was going to bring me in for surgery! OMG i nearly fell off my seat there and then! he then mentioned a biopsy and i asked him if he thought it was cancer. to this he quite casually said yes it could be but we should hope its not!!!!!!! he then said 'try not to worry' !!!!!!!!! :confused:

I was given an appointment for november which was fairly quick (unlike the 3 years ive been waiting on the tests for dementia) and i was quite relieved. a couple of hours after i came home i received a phone call from his secretary to say that he wants me in sooner than november. at this i panicked. so, i now have been given an appointment for next friday for pre op assesment and the following tuesday 25th Oct for surgery.:eek:

Its bad enough that i possibly have dementia but to have to go through this on top......

Why Me ? Why Not ?

Linda xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Oh dear Linda, when my husband used to say 'why me', I nearly always replied 'why not'! I have learnt alot since then.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through and I only hope and pray they find something that is easily dealt with and not cancerous. Its no good saying don't worry, but I do know that TP vibes work well.

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Hi Lin
Sorry to hear that you've now got another hurdle to get over :(

Having recently undergone a biopsy myself & my OH waiting for results of one, I appreciate how daunting it can feel. Consultants can be a bit abrupt or blase in the way they bandy the cancer word about. I'm not sure they appreciate what it's like to be on the receiving end :mad:

It's probably a good thing that you haven't got to wait till November.It gives you less time to worry. I hope that, like me, you are told that there is a less serious cause for your discomfort.

We'll all be there to support you next week & on Tues 25th.

Mo
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Linda

Why you indeed. You are being sorely tested.

Whatever you may or may not have , the sooner you get your treatment the better for you and I`m glad your appointment has been brought forwards.

All we can do is hope for the best for you. I am so sorry you have all these worries and shocks about your health. xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Linda , Like Grannie G said am so sorry to read that you have more Health Worries , just sending much Love & Support for the Days & Weeks to come . Am glad your Treatment has been brought forward that is good News Linda

Lots of Love & BIG HUGS Love Grove x x

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Just adding in my positive vibes. I feel sure you will feel better when you get the results of the tests. It is terribly bad luck that you have worries on top of worries xx Sending you lots of love xxxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Oh dear, Linda, I am so sorry, you are being sorely tried.

It is good you are being attended to sooner than later though as the waiting is hell.

Had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago, had to have a womb biopsy done my first appointment/examination, and the consultant said the same thing to me, could be cancer. As I say, the waiting for a result.... It was a large polyp.

Hopefully it is something else and can be dealt with. Shall be with you on 25th with all the others, and sending you a load of positive vibes.

Love
Loo xxx

Last edited:

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Oh Linda! Not good news for you I know but I want to tell you about Gary when he had throat cancer.

He too was fast tracked, thank goodness - that's the right thing to do although it scared us at the time.

When he had his biopsy they confirmed it was cancer of the vocal cord and said it was a T1a which is the earliest stage and could be treated with laser surgery. The treatment was done and then they said it was actually a T2, a bit more advanced - I was devastated but they said it was very treatable with radio therapy -and it was!
His care was second to none and he made a complete recovery. This was 6 years ago and he's completely clear still and they don't expect it to return. I know this won't make you feel any better or less scared but I wanted to let you know that we were told throat cancer is very treatable now. Lots of love to you, xxxxxe

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Oh Linda I am so sorry you have something else to cope with.

I know it might sound strange but him calling you early might not mean what you think. He may have kids and want to have some time off with his children.

We are all thinking of you and will keep you in our thoughts. Loads of good vibes coming your way.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hello Linda,

Just what you don't need on top of everything else....

I do hope it turns out to be something simple - I guess he couldn't say a definite no to anything more serious until he really has the answer - but that isn't much help once the thought is in your head.

Thinking of you xxx

linda1scot

Aug 2, 2011
north lanarkshire
Thank you all so much for your very kind and reassuring words. I very much appreciate your replies. yesterday was a bad day and i just couldnt 'keep it together' but im determined today will be better. going to visit friends this afternoon so will tell them the latest news and try to forget about it for a while!

From the bottom of my heart a big thank you.

Linda xxx

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I hope you have a fantastic time with your friends and that they give you the love and support you need.

Loads more good vibes coming your way.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm so sorry - you are being sorely tried. I too am glad that the appointment has been brought forward as it gives you less time to worry but understand your comcern. I do hope all turns out well for you. I'll also be thinking of you. X

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Linda I know you are out of contact as such right now with computer, but i just wanted to say i am thinking of you today.

xxxxxxx

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Thinking of you today Linda.

And really hoping there is another explanation for it all

Xxxxxxxx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My very best wishes and hopes that there is a happier outcome for all this. i am thinking of you - life's never easy and often not fair. X

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sorry just picked up this thread. My SIL had same/similar symptoms as you for about 3 months. had a fast tracked biopsy - yes scary - and it showed that his saliva glands were blocked. He is having to avoid certain foods, cheese, chocolate:eek:, and some other "drying" foods for a few weeks, then they will assess him again and if not cleared/better i think he is going to have some kind of medication (not sure which) to try to help them clear.

thinking of you
J