How to get Mum out of bed in the morning

Samsam

May 24, 2010
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has any tips in getting mum out of bed in the morning. She was in care, currently in hospital, and in both places they struggle to get Mum up. No issues once she is up. She hits out, trys to kick, gets very angry; always resists often aggressive. She will get up for me or friends.

Tried the gentle routine of cup of tea or coffee. Going back after awhile, restrained etc.

Any other ideas that work?

Many thanks in advance.
sam

sarafina

Sep 28, 2009
getting Mum out of bed

similar here, but when she gets up to want to go to the Loo, that's when I spring into action and wash her and start the day. can be as early as 6 am, but it's the only way to get her up and motivate her her through the day.
She probably feels safe and cocooned in her bed and to be fair, why would she want to get up and face the purgatory of a dementia world?

Pacucho

Sam

I had the same problem with my mum, whom I cared for at home. Basically in my mum's case she would stay in bed all day if I did not insist on her getting up at some point. But this involved raising her bed so she could sit up and then along with a live-in carer swinging her around to sit on the side of the bed. As we did this she would be aggressive (including kicking out). She would initially be angry but then calm down after a few minutes.

I am afraid I did not find a solution to this issue.
Regards

Paco

Doe

Mar 26, 2007
London
Hi Samsam. I care for my husband at home alone and until recently had exactly the same problem. I tried everything to get him up but he would steadfastly refuse (was not violent but just would not budge). I wondered if his sugar levels were low but that did not seem to be the case. Like Sarafina i would wait for the need to go to the Loo and then just start the washing routine. When he was in bed I used the time to do all my other little jobs and even got the chance on occasion to read the newspaper. During recent weeks this has changed and he is now keen to get out of bed in the morning which is lovely in some ways but this change in mood is accompanied by other things like constant talking, singing, humming and not sleeping much during the night so still trying to work out if I have won or lost. Sorry not much help to you but maybe like my husband this is just a stage that your mum is going through and it will pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba