Waste of time social worker was

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Have heard back from social worker they have said in around about way that to keep mum at home would not be cost affected and that it would be better to put mum in home:mad: I won't say what we said but French comes to mind:eek:
Mums physio came Tuesday just after phone call from SWorker so I was really down I must say she was great she has arranged for community matron to visit the day after we return from holiday and will be getting in touch with palliative team to tell them how things have gone down hill she feels we need the hospice help now at home and has been back in touch to say they are going to arrange to see us at mums MND clinic appointment in 3 weeks time they are also going to discuss mum having peg:eek: which I'm not sure about will think about it whilst away mum is chocking more when we feed her now brothers have said they will back me in what ever I decide
Cpn came today it had been suggested mum makes a living will but because she can't sign her name this will not be possible so cpn is going to arrange (can't think what he was called:eek:) but it's some legal person who will go through with me mum cpn and SWorker for me to become mums legal guardian As soon as possible
I don't know now if I'm looking forward to our holiday or not mum is very quite now but we are hoping with 3 of us giving 24 hr stimulation she will enjoy it we used to go to this resort when we were children and have spent many happy holidays here with mum and dad so we are hoping some little light will be switched on in mums memory
My cousin has just returned from the same hotel and has spoken to the manager who has been brilliant he has arranged a hospital bed for mum and adjoining rooms to my brothers he has also arranged oxygen if needed the local hospital is next door but hopefully we will not need it
Sorry this post is along one but I thought I would bring you all up to date and I will keep you posted when I have the meetings thank you love larivy

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Larivy I think of you often and can totally understand why you want your mum at home. It has all been so hard for you. I really really hope you all have a lovely holiday and that your mum responds well to it. You all deserve it. xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi - you seem to have everything in place and I hope you can all have a lovely holiday.

You are doing an amazing job with your Mum so you deserve the rest this break can give.
Best wishes

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Larivy, I hope you get the break and that everything falls into place for you. Very sorry to hear the Social Worker's 'verdict'. Seems rather short sighted, to say the least.
Sending you love. x

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Tough times just now, nut I want you to know I think you're doing a fantastic job with your Mum. Well done you xxxx

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello Larivy
Wonder if they will hold a best of interest meeting but in who's best interest?. This sounds very familiar to me :mad:
Your mum is so fortunate to have a family who will stand together with her best interest in mind and not let the local authority meet their best interest of their finances :mad:

p.s enjoy your holiday :) I took my mum on holiday panicked like mad about it but it was the best decision I made my mum enjoyed her self :) make lots of happy memories Larivy :)

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am just so full of admiration for you and your family larivy. Your mother may not be getting care from the services but she is certainly getting it from her family.

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Larivy

Hope your holiday goes well and your mum enjoys it and remembers time spent there in the passed wishing you all a safe trip there and back,take care Marian xx

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Larivy

I Will not post any comments about the SW other than to say it would be one less on their case load.

Does the palliative care team's budget come from SS? if not maybe they will be able to help.

When I had my PEG it was fitted under anesthetic, but I've done a search and it can be done under sedation via an endoscopy, so if you you decide that Mum needs it, maybe sooner while she could cope with the procedure. It wouldn't be necessary to use it immediately so long as they are flushed out with water several times a day they are fine.

The question I think you need to ask is; can all of Mum's medication be supplied either in liquid form or that it is suitable to be crushed, mixed with water and administered by syringe via the PEG (it will block it from time to time, but there are many tricks to 'unbung' it)

I hope when you get back from Spain you can get the right information to make an informed decision about this,

Love and Hugs
Helen

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Thank you all we intend to take loads of photos whilst away
The palliative team are NHS and mcmillian nurses and from the hospice nothing to do with ss one thing that social worker said was that now they have offered a plan:eek: we will not have a SWorker now:eek: do I look bothered thanks for nothing
I am realising how lucky I am well all of us as a family we are all there for each other and what one can't do another one can and we just take it for granted thinking all families are the same
Thanks for information on peg Helen the physio said it's better to do it now but we don't have to use it I will discuss it with care team and see what they suggest
I have used them my only worry is they can cause infections
Thanks again everyone must do packing soon off on Tuesday mums got 3 quarters of our weight allowance:D

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
bless you larivy
I don't know much french !
what a ghastly situation to be in i do hope the holiday is as successful as it can be and that you will have a wonderful time celebrating you Amazing! family unity with your mum in the central place and that she will be aware of your love

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Larivy I had a peg fitted under sedation and it can be painful till it takes and the stitches removed. It is a major decision to make. They can constantly get infected because your body will constantly fight against having a tube inside and try to heal. Will your mum pull on the tube when it is fitted, because it can feel strange having it inside.

It really is a major decision to make and all it might do is just drag out the inevitable sadly :(
Here's a link to the Alzheimers fact sheet on peg feeding
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/google_results.php?q=peg+feeding