Im scared

linda1scot

Aug 2, 2011
north lanarkshire
Hi all

As some of you will know, i have my appointment on Thursday to see the psychologist again and to be assessed for what type of dementia i have and at what stage its at. I am really scared.

Today i stupidly went to put the electric kettle on the cooker (gas)!! what a numpty.

I thought i'd at least get some support from my immediate family but since my initial diagnosis and my telephone calls to let them all know NOT ONE of them has picked up the phone to ask how im doing. Now, dont get me wrong, im not looking for sympathy in any shape or form but it would have been nice if at least one of them had taken the time to phone me.

I dont think i'll let them know about the results on thursday - why should i bother with them if they cant be bothered with me?

Thanks to imac i will at least have someone to come to the hospital with me and to keep me 'sane'...although imac and sane arent words that necessarily go together lol.

My husband is taking the day off work to look after our daughter as i have been told the appt will last 3/4 hours.

i just feel very very alone and isolated at the moment.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Linda x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Linda

It`s so good you will have imac with you.

I hope you will also feel the strength of TP with you too. We have a saying. `Look over your shoulder and we`ll all be behind you`. It will be the Circle of TP Friends.

circle+of+friends.jpg

I hope it will help you feel just a little less alone.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Linda,
I think we would all be scared if we were in your position...so pleased you will have imac with you. What time is your appointment on Thursday, so we can all be thinking of you?
Love Amy

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Hi Linda, families who knows why they do what they do or don't do.
But know this, your TP friends will ALWAYS be here for you.
Yes,
let us know what time your appointment is on thursday and we will try
to squeeze into the consultation room with you! You are not alone!

Sending love and hugs to you xxxx
hugsmileymove long arms.gif
hug special 2 cats.gif

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Linda , Am sorry you are scared about your Hospital Appt but gess feeling scared is normal ( If it was me would feel scared :eek: )

Pleased for you :) that Imac is going to the Appt with you ! that's the POWER of T P Linda every body wants to help !

Sending much Love & Support for Thursday Linda & the Weeks to come

Love & Hugs

Love Grove x x x

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Miss, Miss! Sylvia is hogging all the chairs.:D We will need loads of chairs for all of us to join you.

Perhaps your family is scared too and are worried about saying the wrong thing? Perhaps they are waiting for you to have your next appointment in the hope it is all a mistake? There are a lot of cowards out there and I have been the same in a similar situation.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Linda

I just wanted to send you my warmest best wishes and to tell you you are not alone in wishing your family would pick up the phone and call to see how you are getting on. I'm recovering from cancer and it was exactly the same story with me. I think some people can cope and know what to say, and others just have no idea what to say. It's a shame, but there it is. Don't think it's you, or your fault, it's just how some people cope, by pretending nothing is happening. The thing that astounds me is just how many people are utterly wonderful. I have some very very good friends who have more than made up for the family lack of response.

I do understand how lonely it can feel when you are faced with serious illness. I found TP a real lifeline and could not have coped without my TP friends.

I'll hope for the best possible news for you. Take care

Love

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Miss, Miss! Sylvia is hogging all the chairs.:D We will need loads of chairs for all of us to join you.

Perhaps your family is scared too and are worried about saying the wrong thing? Perhaps they are waiting for you to have your next appointment in the hope it is all a mistake? There are a lot of cowards out there and I have been the same in a similar situation.

Thinking of you. Hope your appointment will go as well as possible. With regards to no contact from family, remember the saying 'there are none so queer as folk'. No seriously, I have often wondered why my sisters haven't contacted me more now that my husband has Alzheimer's, just a quick text message would have done saying 'thinking of you' or 'how are things'. There is really no reason for them not to show more concern, sometimes I feel that I have announced that my husband has a cold rather than something as serious as Alzheimer's at 58. You concentrate on looking after yourself as much as possible! Kind regards

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Hi Linda,

I'll send all the positive vibes I can muster to you on Thursday morning. That room is going to be sooooooooooo crowded I don't think I'll be able to squeeze in :D

Can't think of a better person to have by your side than imac though.

Take care.

Mo
xx

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Linda

All the best for Thursday will be thinking of you glad you have Imac to go with you if i hadn,t of moved to N.Ireland in 97 after spending my life up till then in Carfin i would have went with you to.Sorry about your family but like others have said they might just be scared here,s hoping you hear from them soon,take care Marian xx

linda1scot

Aug 2, 2011
north lanarkshire
Thank you all so so much. I cant really find the words to say thank you properly.

Imac has been a God send to me. She has been there to listen to me when ive been crying down the phone to her and she's been there to share some laughs (actually a lot of laughs) as well. Thank you, you crazy, funny lovely person.

I did have some wonderful news tonight and that was of my young pastor (31) was diagnosed in april with a very large grade 3 brain tumour. He has had 4 lots of chemo (due to have 12) and an op to remove some of the tumour. Well, he was away today to get results of latest scan. almost ALL of the tumour has shrunk and the drs are saying its a miracle. This has lifted my spirits and I am so pleased for him and his family. Miracles do happen.

Thank you all again and i'll get some more chairs organised - dont want any arguing over who gets to sit down lol.

Linda xx

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
still here Linda, and will be with you tomorrow morning along with everyone else!!! I think it will be standing room only - there won't be enought room for us all to sit down!

So till then sending love and hugs, see you there!!:)

hugs from me cats moving.gif

TaraT

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester
Hi Linda
Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you. Just a quick comment about families - when my mum was diagnosed in 2006, although I worried and cried privately at first, I soon decided that mum would be ok. I was also quite abrupt with my dad and brother, as I felt that they were somehow encouraging her dementia by picking up on the odd things she was doing and focusing on what she couldn't do, rather than concentrating on what she could do. I think it was denial to be honest. From my perspective she was ok and as long as she was occupied with reading the paper and having daily activities it would all be ok and wasn't quite as serious as they were making out. When dad died the reality stick smacked me firmly in the face and I still feel so much guilt about how I avoided talking about it, I didn't offer to help out and i wasn't in contact with them as much as I should have been etc... I took them all for granted. I'm not making excuses for your family, as I don't know them, but sometimes a lack of understanding or simply believing what you want to believe may be playing a part.
Again good luck, I'll also be thinking of you....make sure there is a spare seat