Alzheimers and Divorce

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
You are right, Jimbo, everyone has a right to a view point.

Each couple, each dementia case, each circumstance is different so perhaps Robertson's point is valid for some, certainly not for me though.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Wow Jimbo,

Not around here!

I do know that unfortunately it is an attitude which some people hold and it can be very hard when you meet them. Thanks for posting this though.
With best wishes from Jo

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know everyone is entitled to his/her own point of view but I couldn't even finish reading the article.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Jo, that is so sad - what are you trying to do to me? :) I've just come home from the nursing home in tears and saw your post, watched the video and started all over again. Not because of what that silly man said but because of those lovely and loving couples. So much love, so much sadness. X

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That's Pat Robertson's Christianity, a Christianity that finds sexuality so repugnant that divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's simply so one can marry the person one is having sex with is a more acceptable option.

He does espouse (no pun intended) an extreme and fundamental American version of Christianity.

What people do with their relationships is a personal matter. What suits one doesn't suit another. But that decision is up to individuals and not for someone not involved to pontificate about. I feel truly sorry for his wife if she gets Alzheimer's.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Some people think they are too smart. I couldn`t read the article either.

A bad marriage is a bad marriage and illness would put an additional strain on it. But seeking publicity and playing G-d is an ego trip of the poorest taste.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Sad

What a very sad man. He obviously never experienced true love. Without it he has lost out in life. He should not be preaching, but then I experienced being 'raised' by sad Religious nuns and Christian Brothers who were devoid of love.
When a loved one becomes incapacitated and vulnerable in any way, do you not love them all the more?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
If there is any justice then may Mrs Robertson be in the position to decide the fate of her caring husband Pat. After comments like that .....:mad:

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I read the article and I will say that those of us who have or have lost someone from Alzheimer's/Dementia he is a disgrace.

We do what we do out of love something i do not think that man understands

Christine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR