Fall

shropshirebadge

Mar 21, 2011
shropshire
Mum had a fall on Sunday - nothing broken and was checked over by ambulance man and dr. She is so frail now in a matter of days and her dementia seems worse too. How can this come on so quickly. She was always up and down to the loo, forgetting she'd been. Now she's not passed a motion for a couple of days but is constantly wet. All she wants to do is sleep - I think she's had another slight stroke but as the dr ways we won't know and she has disphasia so can't explain how she feels or what happened when she fell. I was up at 5 this morning as I heard her on the baby alarm and she wanted to get up. I found her wet and smelly, so changed her and the bed and now feel like I've done a days work at 9.45am! The carer in a morning now struggles to get her sitting up as she goes to a dead weight yet she's only tiny really. I don't know what to do or think.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello shropshirebadge

Is there any possibility you can get some extra help in, just until you know if the downturn in your mother`s condition is temporary or permanent.

Otherwise, although I hate to say so, perhaps alternative arrangements for her care should be considered now.

bulmer

Jul 7, 2011
My mum falls too, the doctor says it could be because she as mini strokes.My mum sleeps a lot too.My mum was having carers come in three times a day maybe you could get extra help.Maybe it is time to get full time care for your mum away from home. Best wishes.

Falls were the first sign to us that Dad had dementia. His memory wasn't as good as it had been but it wasn't particularly bad, but he started having bad falls and it was after that that he started becoming confused as well and his memory got worse.

He was in hospital earlier this year, perked up, came home, seemed fine for a couple of weeks and then started falling over and his mind got worse. It felt very sudden.

Maybe that's just how it is.

bethan

Dec 15, 2009
shropshirebadge, has your mum been checked for infections, especially a UTI? Rapid deterioration and big fluctuations is often due to a temporary infection. My mum had 20 months of this - falls, confusion, memory loss, unable to care for herself, and each time it was an infection or constipation. Each time she gradually improved after treatment and then another one would start. Mum has been on permanent antibiotics for 14 months now, and we are very careful to make sure she doesnt get constipated, and she is amazing, well, happy and very active. it is like a different person
Beth

shropshirebadge

Mar 21, 2011
shropshire
Thanks everyone. Mum went into hospital on Thursday as a locum came out and didn't like the sound of her chest. I told him she'd been very sleepy since the fall and had not had a bowel movement that I was aware of, and as her mobility was worse I'm sure I would have known. Anyway they took her in and she's on antibiotics for slight pneumonia and being monitored as her blood pressure is very low. OT rang regarding her mobility. It's scary as until the fall she was very mobile - now for no physical (that they can tell) reason her right leg is like jelly when she tries to walk. So I think infections have dragged her down. It's so hard for her and us because her speech is so muddled. Basic answers to questions - yes and no's are pretty ok but she can't explain how she feels. Poor love but she is calm and not fighting the system in hospital this time.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm sorry your mum has been admitted to hospital. If she is constipated this may be adding to her confusion - I would mention that she may be constipated to the medics, if they're not already aware.

shropshirebadge

Mar 21, 2011
shropshire
I did tell the nurses and dr at the hospital and also said that she should not be allowed to try to get out of bed un-aided. It seems that she is not trying which is good in some ways as her legs are so weak, but I hope she's not just giving up. This morning they say she is 'as comfortable as to be expected in the circumstances' (!!!!) and that they are keeping her in and moving her to another ward. I'll see when I get in at 2. I've had run ins at the hospital as they won't give me information over the phone and seem to take forever to come back to her. It took 4 hrs for her to see a Dr even though she was admitted by ambulence, which must show a certain degree of priority? They said they only saw really poorly patients first but in the 4 hrs she was there she could have deteriorated dreadfully and what if no one was with her to alert someone? She was initally put in a side room and they shut the door on her. I just don't know what to think.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello , Am so sorry to read about your Mum ....... ( even tho have never replied to you before ) just sending much Love & Support at this sad time , also my sympthay as well to you .

Love & Big Hugs

Love Grove x x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family.

There are lots of us here on TP who have suffered loss of a loved one to dementia, and we are here to support you should you need us.

Take care,