Change of address - EPA

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Hi,

Does anyone know what I need to do about the fact I've changed address (moved in June), since registering mum's EPA with the Office of the Public Guardian? I have emailed them.....but....

It may just be that I send the original certified copy to whoever needs it with proof of my previous and current addresses...but something tells me I need to update the EPA.

Any advice welcomed :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That's a very good question and I don't know the answer. I suspect that you are correct about the proof of address thing, but can see why you would want to be sure. I think your best bet is to call the public guardian helpline and get it direct from the horses mouth.

0300 456 0300 Phone lines are open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm (Except Wednesday 10am - 5pm)

davide

Feb 14, 2008
London
I suspect, no update would be needed. My understanding is that the EPA is a legal document which, once registered, shows that you have the necessary legal authority, and that it is the existence of this document rather than the address on it which is important.

Certainly when I registered my father's EPA, both he and I had changed address since the document was first drawn up, and this did not cause any problems.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Thanks for the replies. I do hope it's simple! So in order to have documents, cheques, correspondence sent to me at the new address from companies requiring the EPA, it won't matter that the EPA has my previous address?

I am about to start the next process of sorting mum's finances so I will need to they will need a copy of the EPA. I will ask each of them what they require in terms of proof of new address, and hope it's as easy as that!

If anyone knows different, or has experienced problems having an old address on the EPA, please advise!

Many thanks!

davide

Feb 14, 2008
London
Annie, I used the EPA with numerous banks, building societies etc. to get the Power of Attorney registered and statements directed to me, and mostly this was straightforward, none of them queried the different address.

They will each need to see a certified copy of the EPA - I asked around and found a local solicitor that would do this for a few pounds. If you need to post a copy EPA to a bank etc. then most will return it promptly, though a couple lost it (and one tore it into separate pages for copying, rendering it useless!). So, depending how much you have to do, it is worth getting a few copies - and obviously do not send the original anywhere.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Got a response

Thanks again, Davide. :)

I got an email back from the OPG saying the address cannot be changed, but that they would like an email or letter informing them of the new address, for their own records. As you have said, they too said that each establishment will list what they require as proof of address for the new property, and that they will take the original document with the previous address.

All sorted. Relatively simple. For now!!!

Thanks again, :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan