Ebixa Memantine your comments please

RosmaryW

Jul 12, 2010
Cornwall UK
Hi, Mum's just started on the induction pack of 28 tabs, 5, 10, 15 & 20mg . Has anyone found these tablets helpful ?, any comments would be welcome please. Clutching at straws now, just hoping so much these will help with her "challenging behaviour".
Thank you.

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Sorry I don't have any experience if this drug, but hopefully others will post soon who do.

dancer84

Dec 24, 2009
North East Eangland
Memantine

Hi, Mum's just started on the induction pack of 28 tabs, 5, 10, 15 & 20mg . Has anyone found these tablets helpful ?, any comments would be welcome please. Clutching at straws now, just hoping so much these will help with her "challenging behaviour".
Thank you.

Hi Rosemary
My husband was put on Memantine last November to try to help his 'challenging behaviour', but he was taken off it after about 2 months because they felt that it wasn't helping. It was tried again a few months later but again he was taken off it after a while. It was felt that because it made him more aware of his situation , he actually became more challenging because he was more frightened and therefore fighting against his situation.
Sorry I can't offer more positive help.
Anne x

Anne&C

Jan 15, 2010
Northern Ireland
My sister reacted badly to Aricept which was changed to Memantine and she has been fine on it for about 18 months. It's impossible to know how her dementia might have progressed without it but it is generally felt that it probably slowed things down for her.

ailyn2611

Jul 18, 2005
Leeds, Uk
Hi Rosemary

I'd say definitely give Ebiza/Memantine a chance!

My mum started with Alzheimer's in her early 50's and been through Aricept with little response. She then switched to Ebixa a number of years ago, and it did wonders to her condition. I mean, it is all relative. She was bad on Aricept, then during the switch over, there was about a week when she was not on either, and she was the worse at that point, when she was constantly sobbing, and had no idea who I was, believing that I was 'her daughter's friend', when she told me: 'I must remember to tell my daughter how wonderful you are at helping me' when I was helping her in the loo. I was sad to hear that and had tears....

But,a few weeks into Ebixa, she turned around somewhat, and was able to function better in herself. Of course, now she's 65, and about 15 years into her disease, she is now completely dependent with regards to her daily living activities, and is not able to communicate in any meaningful way, and no longer recognises me as her daughter. However, we daren't stop the Ebixa for fear that there is a chance she regresses even more, if that is possible at all!!

Good luck though, hope it turns out well for you :)

X