I need support

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I forgot to say that Ken's new rise and recline chair arrived this afternoon. We sat him in it and fiddled about with the various up/down buttons for a while. Poor Ken, us trying to put his footrest up and us not realising that we were pressing the button for the back of the chair. He was almost horizontal at one point before we noticed!

I don't think for a minute he realised he had a new chair and took our antics with the buttons as just one more thing which happened to him without him knowing why.

It proved to be a wonderful boon when it came time for toileting. Normally two carers have to heave him out of a chair and into a wheelchair. Today we pressed a button and he rose up almost to standing without any effort on the carer's part or the discomfort to Ken of being pushed and pulled around.

xxTinaT

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Very glad to hear about the chair, Tina. It's excellent when technology lives up to expectations and makes life easier (not that it always does...).

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Yes, I'm very, very pleased I bought it. The first thing my mother said when I told her I'd got a new chair for Ken was - 'You mustn't let anyone else sit in it'. Good old mother - always looking on the bright side of life. I told her that anyone could sit in it as long as Ken had it when he needed it.

Thank God they have not yet resorted to using a hoist for him. I think that piece of modern technology would frighten him greatly.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Tina

Thank God they have not yet resorted to using a hoist for him. I think that piece of modern technology would frighten him greatly.

It`s good to hear Ken is still able to weight bear but please don`t be too worried about possible potential use of a hoist. Dhiren`s carers talk him through their use of it and he sits there like the cat with the cream.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks for the post Sylvia and your reassurances. I'm pretty sure, with all the explaining in the world, Ken would be very frightened and panic himself into a frenzy. I wish it was different but I fear he would not tolerate it so I bless every day we can go without using the hoist.

The carers still try to get him to weight bear to maintain some movement in his legs, and at times he can actually shuffle a few steps but most of the time the carers are actually dragging him. It is very, very painful for me to watch but I do understand why they do it.

xxTinaT

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Tina - when you've had the chair for a while and assuming it's still working out OK (or of course, come to think of it, even if it's not) it might be a good idea to post a review of it in the Resources forum. I know a lot of people end up trying to find these things and personal experience counts for a lot.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'll do that Jennifer and I'll also ask the carers in a few weeks what they think of the chair, whether it has helped them etc.,

xxTinaT

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Tina,

This link is to a story that isn't directly connected with the situation you're involved with.

It's just yet another example of what happens when a local authority engages in contracts which may be in the best interests of the LA's pot-of-money - but not necessarily in the best interests of the residents a LA places in private care. A care home, in this case, run by one of the big - and much loved by some! - care providers.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9231225.Care_home_threatened_with_closure_by_watchdog/

bigtom

Sep 19, 2009
bolton lancs
Tina, just caught up with this thread, So good you can speak at the council meeting on the 19th i hope to be there to support you, I was so good to meet John,(beechmount) angie, and kas, on wedensday i was sorry i could not join you in Yates"s but as you know i had other things to do.And after the meeting on Tuesday the council know they will not be walking over anyone about the future of the homes. So well done Tina.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello Tina following on from my post yesterday
have you beento a full council meeting before ?????

many members of the public leave feeling disgusted at the lack of debate , and how some items are just 'nodded through
This is usualy because the item has been debated at length in committee,no opposition has been noted ,and it saves time in a full agenda
I f you have never been to a full Council meeting it maybe worth going to the one prior to your meeting to get a feel of the procedure
If that is not possible you should be able to get copies of previous agendas

Quote from Bolton Council Information :-

All copies of agendas and reports(subject to access to information requirements relating to confidential items) for meetings of the Executive and Executive Members, Committees and Area Forums are available at the One Stop Shop, which is located on the Ground Floor, Bolton Town Hall, BL1 1RU or can be accessed via the Committee Management Information System.

Minutes of the meetings will be available within a reasonable time following the meeting and contact should be made with Democratic Services on 331039 or by accessing via the Committee Management Information System .

jimbo 111

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Tina,

Jimbo's post has just reminded me - thanks, Jimbo:) - that I had already looked for agendas/minutes/meetings for your Council.

A link for you:

http://www.democracy.bolton.gov.uk/cmiswebpublic/Default.aspx

It's not got the best of layouts, so the easiest way to find the one I'm wanting you to read is to search for the words order paper - there are only two that appear, and one is the 'Order of Business' for 31.08.2001 meeting of the Council. Click on order paper and it opens as a word doc - but a couple of mentions of care homes. (Including one question about a care home in the area that has problems - not Ken's care home.)

No minutes available yet - but they may appear next week. And the agenda for the October 19 meeting should also appear there - eventually.

By the way, if you scroll as far as the Application to Renew a Licence for a Sex Shop - you've gone too far! (If the link doesn't pull that one up for you, change the drop-down box at the top right to show items from the previous 90 days.)

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Tina – great news on the chair! :) And great news on the Council Meeting. :) Took a long time scrutinizing that petition then didn’t they?????:rolleyes:

I thought you were having a week off????? :cool::D

God bless you .... let me know whatever I can do .... How much room in the public gallery for the Council meeting? You might have to put me in charge of ‘drawing lots’ for places?????? :D

Respect and love, Kaz, x

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello Tina
Another thought in hindsight
Council decisions are normally taken by a vote ,showing of hands
( unless they use one of those newfangled button devices)
The point I wanted to mention is
Provided on the requisition of any Member BEFORE the vote is taken
and Supported by FIVE other memberswho signify their support by rising from their seats
The VOTING must be by ROLL CALL and not by show of hands
and will be recorded to show how each member Voted

Your cause is a very emotive subject
Members will be aware of the support you have in so many areas of the city
In my experience (many years ago ) members were often reluctant to know that their constituents were aware on how they voted on touchy subjects , and it could sway the way they voted , particularly if the matter was subject to a proposed amendment that was more favourable than the original motion

The point I am trying to make ,if you become aware before your meeting that it could be a close call , persuading enough members to stand for a roll call vote could be to your advantage
My knowledge is rather out of date (1980's)
and new Local Gov Acts may have superceded that quoted above
but I see no reason why this will have been deleted
Just a point you may keep in the back of your mind

Best wishes
jimbo 111

Ps Just a thought , the wizard (JPG1) may be able to ferret out for you any amendments to the above
J

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Just a quick reply until I have absorbed all the most valuable information from JPG1 and Jimbo and the wonderful encouragement from Tinker Face!

How can I fail with such splended support as you people supply. I have to say tears are welling up as I write.

I'm so very, very grateful and so thankful to have you good, good people helping me.

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Tina, you know I'm behind you all the way, aven though I'm no practical help. It's wonderful that so many people are able to help you, I'm sure that the advice and info is invaluable, and then there's your team of wonderful backing singers.

What a lot you've all achieved.

Lang may yer lum reek.:D

xxxxx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
and then there's your wonderful team of 'backing' singers

Yep we seem to be all 'singing in tune' Hazel and that's a truely fantastic feeling

I think you must be also sneaking sly looks at X factor as you type Hazel! Oh the power of the 'box'.

xxTinaT

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Just a quick reply until I have absorbed all the most valuable information from JPG1 and Jimbo and the wonderful encouragement from Tinker Face!

How can I fail with such splended support as you people supply. I have to say tears are welling up as I write.

I'm so very, very grateful and so thankful to have you good, good people helping me.

xxTinaT[/QUOTE

If I'm dropping a 'clanger' Please forgive me ( old age is sometimes a good excuse.)
just recently I have noticed the name Tinker Face mentioned in your posts
Without giving it too much thought I assumed you were referring to Tender Face
It has suddenly dawned on me that we are talking about two different people
To avoid making myself look a pratt I have just trawled thruogh 20pages of members with the name beginning 'T' and I still could not find the name Tinker Face
Please put me out of my misery
and just a little sweetener for my ignorance
Hello Tinker Face best wishes to you and thankyou for your support of Tina and her cause ( I am assuming you are another of those hard outside but soft centred Lancastrians )

jimbo 111

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Oh Jimbo - we've put you to a lot of trouble for nothing! You were quite right on your first guess. Tinker Face is indeed our very own Tender Face - I think Angela (a.k.a. Angi babe) was the first to rename her.

Your background knowledge of Local Authorities has stood me in such good stead.

xxTinaT

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Jimbo – it’s ME – Tender Face – oh actually that was mum :rolleyes: – so I rather like Tinker Face :) – (JPG1 the culprit, I believe) only I can’t change my username. Well, I could – but they’d still spot me!!!!!;):p:D

Did someone mention singing? I am renowned for it!!!! :) (Someone once mentioned I was so good it was akin to howling at the moon – I thought that was grossly unfair????:() In fact, it was my Plan B if the council vote wasn’t going the right way for Tina – it was my secret weapon from the public gallery to get them to change their votes!!!!!

Blown my cover now!!!!!:p

Kaz, (Tender Face, Tinker Face, ‘Oi You’ – I answer to most things!;))