Letter to Jean

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
It’s me again Jean on another Friday morning. It’s ok chuck, I know you don’t remember me, who I am or what our relationship is.

Just been sorting some papers out and I see were married in 1967, one day before my 21st birthday and a few months before yours. I make that 44 years. So, we have seen a lot together, done a lot together, struggled to bring the family up and watched them grow into the people they have become.

We always managed to pay the bills, keep out of debt and not have any real stresses of the kind that seems to break families apart these days. Really it’s all thanks to you.

Those times are past now, you cannot remember them. The roles of our lives have been altered. Instead of looking after each other, it’s now my turn to look after you.

You have now reached the age of 65 and will have had Alzheimers Disease for nearly 10 years.

You have changed in so many ways from the 20 year old I married. The list of what you are now unable to do is very long and getting longer almost by the day.

Don’t fret though, as I am retired now and I am here to do it for you and with you so that you still wake up in the morning with a smile and a giggle.

Don’t mind telling you though, it is hard at times. Very very hard. I need every bit of ingenuity to keep you cheerful and every bit of patience to come to terms with the fact that you cannot do today what you so easily did yesterday.

So I have changed too. The dreams I had for sharing our retirement have been packed away and are gathering dust in the loft, soon to be relegated to the shed and then, from there, into the bin. I cannot see them being recycled so I wonder what a landfill site of dreams would look like.

I sometimes wonder how you put up with the things I do for you though. Some of the food I cook is inedible and indigestible. Which reminds me, I do apologise for the state of the Cavapatti I served up the other day. I thought the cooking instructions said to boil it for 1 minute instead of 10 minutes. I thought it was odd when each piece just shot across the plate and landed on the table.

I know it must seem like I have found out what you dislike and then go and make a dustbin full of it but I assure that is not the case. We need to expand our food variety a little and I just thought pear halves would go well with kippers.

I’m not very good at choosing clothes for you either. The ones I buy for you never fit properly and I am sure they are the wrong colour and of a style that you would not even consider wearing under normal circumstances. Mind you, the Ra Ra skirt, bright yellow tights and luminescent green cardigan do make you stand out in a crowd.

10 years in now and we have reached the quiet time. The wanderings have stopped, the constant cry of, “Going Home” has ceased, the violence has dissipated and the mood swings have all but gone.

I think that now is a good time to take stock. Actually, that is easily done. We are here in this together. I am going nowhere and I am afraid you are stuck with me but, as soon as I feel that you no longer want to be stuck with me, I shall make sure that you will be as happy as you can be wherever it is you want to go. I do have my eyes open for you all the time.

As I said, it’s been a long time and a difficult time as I watch you gradually fade. No one can stop it so we will plod on together and face what is to come. With help from friends and family I am sure we can see it through to the inevitable end, whenever that maybe.

The powers that be, Social Services, Occupational Therapists, Community Mental Health Services are backing off a little at a time and seem incapable or unwilling (or both) to offer further advice on how to overcome the difficulties which sometimes arise.

Their answer to everything seems to be a Residential Home or Daycare 5 times a week. Their answer to getting you in and out of the bath is to give you a strip wash in the bathroom. How undignified is that? Apart from the fact that you will not stand still long enough and we finish up doing the “bathroom waltz” i.e. me chasing you round the bathroom with a soggy sponge, that bathroom floor is very hard on the knees.

It seems that we solve one problem, like the chronic Incontinence from earlier this year, your inability to feed yourself of late last year, when another one pops up. I suppose, when we have conquered the bathing problem something else will arise to test my ingenuity and resourcefulness.

Don’t get me wrong, chuck, I’m not complaining. I still get time to read, in between housework and caring duties and, of course, chatting to friends via the internet helps to break the monotony of your inability to speak or communicate. We still have our music too and the orchestra starts rehearsals early next month which will bring a smile to your face when you get there.

I know it is difficult for you but, from time to time, I just need you to remember that I am no Saint and have no wish to be labelled as such. I just do my best. Sometimes it goes wrong but mostly it goes right.

With love,

Grommit.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
I think that every one should have a Grommit.

The world would be a much better place.

You make sure you get some rest though,it is so important.

Best wishes to you and Jean.

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Grommit

After coming home from a tough day and reading the sad news of poor Connie, then reading this.........gawddddd i can hardly see the screen for tears...........i'm gonna lose my reputation for being a hard b*tch at this rate :eek:

Keep up the good work Grommit.
Much love to you and Jean xx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Beautiful. Honest. Real and touching.

I could read this over and over as this sums up what love really is. I've just taken a sneaky peak at my own hubby and felt a need to live tomorrow to the full. His eyes are shut now, in front of the telly, :)D) but tomorrow morning, the first words won't be "...can you see to the children, and shut the bedroom door...?". They will be "...I love you...".

You don't have to be a Saint, and the storms must be weathered in a marriage, but do it together and come out the other side, and still do what you do...that's the kind of marriage I aspire to have. I was 25 on my wedding day, and have been married 14 years. I don't want to be complacent, so thank you for nudging me a bit...

I've been completely moved by your letter. It's just beautiful.

Thank you, xxx

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
me too

Yes, we do have to go on and make life worthwhile as we go. I've got a binful of dreams just from the new stroke on 30th May, bye bye continence, farewell remembering family and being able to go out for the day. Hello "shower team" restless nights and "who was that on the phone?".

We have been travelling this road for a long time too Grommit, Ray was 48 when he had his first stroke and 62 diagnosed with dementia. I have packed away all those middle aged dreams of trips away and a move to a retirement house further north. From now on here we stay and do what we have to do.

(((hugs))) from Sue.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Grommit,

That is so beautiful and thank you for sharing. I have only just got over my young brother funeral tears by the bucket full and now my tears are flowing for you and Jean,

God Bless.
Christine xxxx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
I do have my eyes open for you all the time.

Grommit, hello
What a wonderful description, your love shines through and your sense of humour but mostly your fantastic compassion for the lives you are both living.
With kind regards from Jo

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Thank you all so very much for your support and good wishes.

Being unable to sit down and talk things out round the kitchen table over a cup of tea and a digestive or two, the opportunity to open up a little amongst real friends that understand is an alternative that cannot be missed.

Sometimes, looking at the problems that other carers face, mine dwindle into insignificance and I am really grateful that so many of you have had time to respond.

Thank you all again.