Mum seems tired

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi, just thought I'd update on how Mum is... Sorry I haven't been around much, I've been a bit up and down. I decided yesterday I was going to see Mum without my wig for the first time since I had chemo. My hair is about an inch long now and I do look a bit severe but the wig is so hot & it was the only time I was wearing it. The home is baking hot and I'd spend my whole visits dripping with sweat!
Anyway, I prepared myself for mum's reaction and walked in. It was like nothing was different! She said hello (quietly), she looked at me. I said, "do you like my new hairstyle?". She said she did. I said, "do you think it's too short?". "no" she replied. I said I wanted it short in the hot weather & she said it was nice. So the very best reaction I could have possibly hoped for.
Mum was very sleepy though. We couldn't persuade her to bath, so we washed her hair in bed. Most of the time she wouldn't open her eyes. I wonder if the baclofen has done that?
I tried to get her to drink but I couldn't wake her. Her hands were balled into fists. I haven't seen her like that before. It made me think she might have slipped a little. I told her I loved her and stroked and kissed her cheek very gently and she smiled. I told her what a determined and courageous lady I think she is and asked her her secret for keeping going and she whispered that she didn't know.
I have just been discharged by the oncologist back to the original team who I like a lot so I have been given the go ahead for a holiday. We've booked a week in Wales (Abersoch) for next week, as although I envy Florence going to Menorca, I dont feel ready for a long trip yet, and we can be home in 2 hours if need be.
My love and thanks to you all for all your support xx
Love,

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Your mum's response to your hairstyle was lovely. I'm sure she is loving your tender care Pied. I do hope you have a good break. Hope the weather us kind. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Pied

Thank you for the update. It is positive but sad at the same time.

I do hope the weather in Wales is kind to you and you have some rest and relaxation to boost your spirits.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Good to see you posting, Pied. Well done your mum, I bet you look very stylish.:)

Have a great week in Wales.

Love,

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Hi Pied, lovely that you're back. Pleased that you had a good visit and a positive response but sad too.

Hope you all enjoy your holiday in Wales and that the weather is good, the break will hopefully do you good.

Take care xxxx

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Pied,
Good to hear from you. You're doing so well. It's good to hear you're going to have a holiday and we've been to Abersoch. It's lovely there, quite peaceful. It will do you the world of good.

Sorry to hear your Mum was quiet on your last visit. My Mum is like that, too. Maybe the hot weather had something to do with her tiredness? We're fortunate that our mums are happy and gentle, though. I read so many posts on here where relatives are aggressive or upset and I'm so grateful that Mum is always pleased to see me.

The fact that she wasn't phased by your 'new hairdo' shows that she knows who YOU are and that it's YOU she loves and feels comfort with. That says so much.

You're a wonderful daughter, Pied. You've had it so rough and still you have taken time for your Mum and for us on here.

Have a lovely holiday. You deserve it.

Big hugs,

Maggie

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks

Thanks

I feel like I have had a hug. Poor old Mum. You kind of know your mum can't go on for ever, but even so, when she takes a down turn it feels like a shock.:eek:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
bless you pied missed you glad your mum was ok about your hair when I had a number 1 in my teens and I don't mean a wee! my folks went ballistic I know its different at it reminded me me that when I read your post !

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Oh Sarah - a number 1! I wouldn't have thought you would have done that. Were your mum and dad really cross? I have got about a number 6 now I think, long and lanky in comparison. Don't laugh but I have made an appointment with the hairdresser on Friday to tidy it up a bit. I thought she might be able to style it a bit. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

jackie place

Aug 4, 2009
eccles manchester
Oh Sarah - a number 1! I wouldn't have thought you would have done that. Were your mum and dad really cross? I have got about a number 6 now I think, long and lanky in comparison. Don't laugh but I have made an appointment with the hairdresser on Friday to tidy it up a bit. I thought she might be able to style it a bit. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

Glad that you are going away next week believe it or not my Husband is from Abersoch he is Welsh and can speak the language He Has had this illnest for a couple of years. I am taking my Daughter and family to Aberdaron not far from you Hope that you have a lovely holiday. :):) Love Jackie x x x :)

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Jackie, yes we have been to the place you mention and also to Abersoch before, I wish I could speak some Welsh but I find it a difficult language to learn. I love listening to people speaking Welsh though. I'm sorry to read of your husband's illness. He comes from a really beautiful part of the country. :)

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Very glad to hear you are going to have a little break Pied. You so deserve it. I hope the weather is kind for you. Hugs,