Where do I start..?

Dunkjt74

Jan 21, 2010
The heart of England
Hello all.
After quite a long battle, my mother has finally been diagnosed with a form of dementia. It's been soul destroying and so upsetting to watch her struggle and decline in health.
From the point of her diagnosis, she and my step father have had carers visiting their home at least twice a day, as well as my step sisters visiting everyday also to ensure that all is well etc.
Thankfully, most of the time, Mum was quite happy and I could still make her smile and laugh when I visited her (I live away from the area that she lives), and I do my best to 'keep my chin up' when I see her.
Put simply, I have a sister who is not a very nice person. She has upset pretty much the entire family over the years to the extent that she has estranged herself from us all. Mum kept in contact with her however, and even up to quite recently, my sister would upset her and offer emotional blackmail to Mum relating to access to her grand children etc. She has taken advantage of her and has sought monies from her using some quite dubious excuses.
Approximately two months ago, Mum had an issue with one of her legs (ongoing medical condition). At that time, she was living with my step father, who is elderly, very loving towards my Mum and admittedly is starting to struggle on some things at home.
My step Dad took Mum to the local hospital, where she received care for her leg.
On one occasion, during a follow up visit, she went to the hospital with my sister. Whilist there, social services attended (pre-arranged, apparently) at the request of my sister.
Mum was removed from the hospital by them and placed into the care of my sister at her home address.
My step Dad and family were given basic information by social services and were allegedly told by a particular social worker that they would not disclose the location of my Mum.
I was on holiday in the UK at this time (first holiday in several years!) and received a panicked phone call from my step sister telling me that Mum had been taken into care and that they couldn't find anything out, along with the fact that the social worker in question would not disclose 'anything' to them as they, "...weren't family."
As such, I obtained a phone number for the social worker and immediately made contact with them. They were not even aware that I existed! I asked what had happened, and was told that they , "...had concerns", about Mums welfare and that they had put her into a place of safety.
I expressed MY concerns that my step family (for over twenty years!) had not been told anything, to which they denied all knowledge of that and that my Mum being with my sister was most definately NOT a place of safety and was in no way suitable.
Essentially, the more I have listened to the social workers reasons etc since that time, the more I am convinced that they acted incorrectly.
No investigation was carried out by them prior to Mum being moved, no opinions from the home care workers and doctors were sought, and it has been proven that some of the 'concerns' expressed by my sister were very simply lies, to which social services have finally acknowledged. In other words, there was no justification for Mum being removed from her home of 20+ years.
This whole incident has caused a massive amount of upset and distress. My step father has been beside himself and cannot understand why this has happened. Mums health has declined dramatically (she is in a lovely home at the moment near to my step father, by the way which is one bonus).
I have been pushing to have a meeting with the social worker who instigated all of this, to discuss why this has happened and to plan for Mums long term future care.
To be honest, she has come up with various excuses causing delays for a meeting.
I now finally have a meeting arranged for this Thursday (04/08), which was made at short notice by them.
I know what I would like to ask and have researched as much as possible to try to ensure that social services do not 'brush over' their potential errors/mistakes etc, but I am now concerned that I may miss something.
I must point out that I am NOT looking at suing them or for monetry gain etc, and am purely pursuing this to ensure correct and proper care for my Mum in the future and to hold them to account for their mistakes so that this does not happen to anybody else.
Would it please be possible for somebody to give me some 'pointers' as to what would be appropriate to ask and what to expect?
What should I be aware of in case social services attempt to 'baffle me' with jargon etc?

Any input would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance & kind regards.

Duncan.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Duncan:

I just wanted to acknowledge your Thread and hope someone can help you shortly.

Your problems our out of my experience and sadly I have never had much support from Social Workers. I hope someone will come along soon with advice for you.

If it were me I would be going along prepared to make notes and then ask for time to assess what they are suggesting. This will give you space to consider whether or not you need to go to the Head of Social Services.

With any queries then you could ring the Alzheimers Society Helpline 0845 300 0336. It may well be worthwhile ringing them anyway - they are extremely helpful.

My best wishes

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Duncan,

I am so very sorry to read your post. Prepare yourself with all your family's questions.

Write it all down and when they start using abbreveations, stop them and ask could they let you know exactly what the abbreviations mean, They have a habit of doing that.

They did that to my daughter. Do you have a family member who can go with you?

You know your Mother better than they do and I wish you the best for the meeting.

Christine

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Hi Duncan I have no experience in this field but in my past job I attended many cases (only about child care) I would defenetly try to take someone with you as they will have someone with them if there's no one taking notes I would take them myself or get other person to if there is a minute taker I would ask for a copy if your not sure of something ask them to explain (they do like using their own language ) jot down any questions you want to ask it's so easy to forget I wish you the best of luck larivy

sanford99

Account Closed
Aug 2, 2011
Yikes, sounds a saga and a half and you are quite rightly deserving of a comprehensive explanation from the social services. I suspect you will have to be tenacious to get it though and this forthcoming meeting will be designed to 'pacify' you if it all possible. From my own experience, I would advise you to have a strategy in mind when you attend and to keep to it, even if they try to distract you.

It can be difficult to keep to the point and it is easy to forget things so I used to take along a hard backed A4 notebook and I had my main questions written as a heading, one by one, on a separate page. I took notes as I asked each question and if I wanted to come back to something in particular that was said I would put a big star beside it to remind me to return to it and I would jot down a key word as a prompt as to what I wanted to pursue in more detail.

When we were discussing contentious issues, I would keep quiet and let them speak as much as they wanted, all the time taking notes. I would then recap as to what they had said and ask if there was anything else they wanted to add. That usually had them feeling defensive and sometimes a little more detail would be proffered. I would then say ' And where did the authority come from for that action?' or 'Which regulation in which legislation were you relying on for that, just so that I know'.

If it looks as if there has been some dubious unilateral actions taken by one social worker ask ' Did you need a second opinion for that course of action or were you able to make that decision by yourself?'. ' What made you confident in the validity of your actions at the time? and so on.........concentrate on the rules and regulations, the legislation and the procedures to be followed. Every step they took, ask them to confirm the text book procedure, the authority they acted under etc.....Even if it sounds as if you keep repeating yourself, it is the only way to focus the meeting on the salient issues of whether they acted it appropriately/ legally or not.

If there is a superior member of staff involved you will want them at the meeting, and if they not there on this occasion, you will have to request a follow up meeting for them to attend. If you are measured, keep to your questions and keep badgering them to justify their actions with reference to the authorities/legislation that gave them the power to do so, you should hopefully get the answers you seek. Above all, don't be rushed. Take your time.

Judging from what you have said, you will have loads of questions for them. Try to put them in a chronological order if you can so each question runs neatly into the next. Make them explain their actions and ask for references as to what powers they were utilising. You can then take some time to research those powers and double check they were utilised correctly. I suspect you will find they were not and you will have to consider how far you wish to take your complaint.

I had to do my meetings on my own; if you can get someone to come with you for both moral support and to take minutes that would be very useful. That leaves you free to jot down key points but still have a comprehensive account of what went on.

Best of luck.

Dunkjt74

Jan 21, 2010
The heart of England
Thank you all..!

Hello all.

Firstly, for all of you that replied to me, THANK YOU! It was all most appreciated.
Just a quick update for you...
I attended the meeting along with my two step sisters. Between us all, we had produced a list of 'bullet point' questions that were all as chronological as we could get them.
My very first question was very simply, "Why has this happened and why did it happen in the way that it did?"
We then carried on from there.
Social Services were represented in the form of the case worker, who had been involved from the beginning, and her area manager.
Minutes were taken.
Social Services, unbelievably, admitted that they had made mistakes and profusely apologised to us all. They also asked us our direct opinions as to the families wishes with regards to Mums ongoing future care and then presented us with some very good options.
They also clarified alot of the 'grey areas' that we all had with regards to legalities and powers of attorney via courts etc.
Overall, a very sad but at the same time, a very productive meeting that appears to have gotten Mum the answers and the care package that she truly deserves.

Once again, thank you all for you help and support.

Kindest regards.

Duncan.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Congratulations on having a successful meeting and not being backed into a corner.

May I ask if your Mum is back in her home or is she to stay in residential care?

I hope you managed to eliminate your sister from future proceedings